Colt American 2000

PDA

CajunBass
March 7, 2009, 08:22 AM
I stopped at my dealer last night and was looking around at the used handguns, and the fellow behind the counter took one down and asked if I'd ever seen one. It was a Colt American 2000, LNIB with box and all the papers in 9mm. It's a polymer frame, DAO, with a "roller-bearing mounted" trigger that pulls straight back for about a 1/4 of a mile or so it seemed.

Now, if you think a Hi-Point is ugly, you haven't seen one of these. If you think the Sigma has a bad trigger, you haven't pulled the trigger on one of these. The grip was very nice feeling, reminded me of a CZ.

I had never seen or heard of one of these things. I gather they weren't very popular or they'd still make them. Judging by the price I see being "asked" for them on Gunbroker, they had a very good price on it. I'm not really interested, but thought I'd see what people here know about them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt American 2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
broken
March 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
i have a write up somewhere,i think reed night designed the gun ,rotory barrell lockup,massad ayoob said it was a flawed design from the start,lots of funky parts on the breakdown schematics.just a odd collectible.

Runningman
March 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Haven't seen one of those since they came out in the early 90s. I don't think they were in production more than a few years because of poor sales. There was a least one recall on them. The Colt American 2000 was not reliable or accurate. In short it was a train wreck for Colt.

HammerBite
March 7, 2009, 01:20 PM
Here (http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg170-e.htm) is some information about them.

Lone_Gunman
March 7, 2009, 01:41 PM
It was Colt's late entry into the Wonder Nine market. If you look up POS in the dictionary, you will find a photo of the Colt All American. It didn't do very well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt American 2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!