vintage 1911 tutorial?

PDA

mountainpharm
March 7, 2009, 12:06 PM
I've had my eyes on a vintage 1911 for some time now, but I would like to increase my knowledge further before I buy one. I found some excellent tutorials on here regarding AKs which helped me tremendously in making an informed decision but I haven't been able to find a similar thread regarding 1911s. I'm interested in the early models from a collector standpoint. Would any of you 1911 experts be willing to offer a buyer's guide of sorts with emphasis on what makes an early 1911 more or less valuable? If I were at a gun show and came across a gun of interest, what specifically should I look for?

If you enjoyed reading about "vintage 1911 tutorial?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2RCO
March 7, 2009, 12:12 PM
With early 1911's it's all about original condition just as most collector guns.

Certain makers have a premium on GI guns although other than Singer the premium usually isn't a huge difference.

Get yourself a copy of Clawson's book if you plan on getting serious into it since there are so many minor differences that it can make your head spin without the proper referrence material.

If you enjoyed reading about "vintage 1911 tutorial?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!