How to build an M14/ M1A

PDA

sprice
March 7, 2009, 01:50 PM
How do I go about getting a customized m14? I want a 22" medium Krieger barrel, Mcmillan (m2a or m3a?) or sage stock (what do y'all think is better?), US GI parts and I want it to be sub-moa accurate. What gunsmith should I use? What reciever is better for the money (I would like it forged; fulton for $600 or LRB for a little more $?), as you can tell I don't know how to get all of these things and I want it in a tactical-type of stock. I would like to keep it Around $2,000 without a scope. :) thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about "How to build an M14/ M1A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lipadj46
March 7, 2009, 05:11 PM
SEI and Warbirds are your best bet for a custom build. Build on an LRB receiver or SAI M1A receiver. You can also buy a Chinese M14 and customize it. The only way to stay under $2000 would be to go with the Chinese M14 and even then it is doubtful.

Buy a new SAI M1A if you want to stay under $2000.

nbkky71
March 7, 2009, 09:18 PM
If you want an M1A that will consistently shoot sub-MOA it will cost you more than $2000... probably closer to $3,000.

SAGE stocks cost around $700-$800. McMillan around $500
A used M1A will cost you around $900
A Krieger barrel will cost around $500
Gunsmith labor for assembly/accurizing will probably be at least $500.

You also want to make sure that you choose a gun-plumber who is knowledgeable about the M14/M1A. Here's a list of recommended folks over on the M14 rifle forum

http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=54366

I had my Supermatch built using a Barnett barrel and a McMillan stock. The best that I can get out of it shooting off the bench, using quality ammo, is about .75MOA. I really like the McMillan but have never shot a SAGE stock so I can't offer any firsthand opinions there.

pgeleven
March 7, 2009, 11:20 PM
here comes picturetime with H2O...

Retro
March 8, 2009, 12:35 AM
Medium weight or heavy weight barrels won't fit in a SAGE stock, and you have to get a glass bedding job done every 6 months, or you can get on the waiting list and get a JAE 100 G2 stock with permanent bedding in about 5 months.

$1400 for a used M1A
$450 for a Krieger heavy wt barrel
$1100 for a JAE 100 G2 Stock
$150 for a unitized gas system
$200 for match trigger
$60 for NM piston
$500 for gunsmith labor
$150 for SEI muzzle brake

You are looking at a ballpark figure of $4000 to build up your sub-MOA M1A.

Might be cheaper to buy for a new Loaded M1A or a used SA whitefeather.

lipadj46
March 8, 2009, 10:54 AM
and you have to get a glass bedding job done every 6 months

A bit of an exaggeration there? :) Glass beddings are a pain but will last fairly long for a normal shooter that only removes their action from the stock once every year or so. Some of the epoxy materials are pretty tough also. I like the stocks that don't require bedding but for $800+ I will deal with bedding. Actually I don't deal with bedding because my loaded shoots well enough for me without it.

30Cal
March 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
A bit of an exaggeration there?

I think he's referring to all those guys that shoot 6 days a week, a hundred rounds a day.

6-20 years is probably a more realistic estimate of bedding life for a shooter who averages twice a month.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to build an M14/ M1A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!