Can I axe a question?

PDA

TimboKhan
March 7, 2009, 03:47 PM
Stupid pun, potentially a very cool axe:

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/338

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I axe a question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vicdotcom
March 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
When it comes to an axe/hatchet, simple is best.

http://www.gransfors.us/axes.html

But I do have to say that the compactness of the kick axe would be a great benifit for causal users and campers. Still not sure about all the hinges on the handle and the bit though.

sm
March 7, 2009, 05:02 PM
vicdotcom,
I agree.

Most casual users would benefit more from a folding saw.

Risk for injury is something one needs to consider when miles away from professional medical facilities.

Setting aside special tasks performed by trained persons for emergency needs...

Kewl toyz out in the boonies will hurt you bad or kill you dead.

BHP FAN
March 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
How much?

vicdotcom
March 7, 2009, 10:09 PM
Kewl toyz out in the boonies will hurt you bad or kill you dead. or break when you REALLY need them lol

How much?
The folding hatchet is about $60. The Gransfors start at $100 . You can probably guess which has better steel also.

Todd A
March 7, 2009, 10:25 PM
Why use an axe that folds? That kinda makes it already "broken" in my mind.

My "baby" has been ticking for 32 years or so. Got it when I was eight, a TRU-TEMPER Official Boy Scout Camp Axe. Got it from Santa.:)

(Of course I'm old fashioned. 'Cept when it comes to shotguns.:neener:..right Steve?)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/toddma/woodstrio.jpg

TimboKhan
March 8, 2009, 04:40 AM
I would say that a folding axe has some merit, in theory. Takes up less space, is useful in a pinch. Is it as good as a standard axe? Definitely not. But I know it would be much handier for me to fit a folding axe into my Dakota than it would be to fit a big axe. Not any easier than a hatchet (which I do keep in my truck), but sometimes an axe is the better tool.

KevinAbbeyTech
March 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
My favorite hatchet is one my Grandma (who used to frequent garage sales, estate sales, flea markets, etc.) picked up for me at a garage sale for two dollars.

I looked very closely at the head and saw a very faint impression that said "Craftsman".

It is very strong, but if it ever breaks, I get a new one for free.

vicdotcom
March 8, 2009, 03:37 PM
I would say that a folding axe has some merit, in theory. Takes up less space, is useful in a pinch. Is it as good as a standard axe? Definitely not. But I know it would be much handier for me to fit a folding axe into my Dakota than it would be to fit a big axe. Not any easier than a hatchet (which I do keep in my truck), but sometimes an axe is the better tool.
Well, it's like SM previously said, what purpose woud you need a folding axe that a folding saw would not do. That is if compactness is one of the deciding factors; a saw would be much lighter and easier to pack/carry. If cutting stuff down is your deciding factor, then go for a traditional.

Weedy
March 8, 2009, 03:41 PM
I've got one of those large Estwing camp axes you find at Home Depot. I love it, you can put a knife edge on it.

TimboKhan
March 8, 2009, 04:52 PM
I guess my response to that would be that an axe is more than just a cutting tool. A folding saw makes perfect sense, but what if I need to whack something? A folding saw does not make a particularly good whacker. Look, I am not saying this thing is the apex of axe technology, I am just saying that it has some potential as a handy, easily stored tool.

I think it is a little unfair to categorize it as a piece of junk, compare it to a Gransfors and imply that it is going to break right at the moment you need it most: The thing hasn't even seen the light of day yet, and won't until July! It may be that it totally sucks, but I am not going to know that any sooner than the rest of you are going to. Further, it's not like other axe handles don't break. I am fully aware that traditional can be good, but by the same token, new takes on traditional items can be implemented without causing a rift in the universe.

MikeJackmin
March 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
I like it. If it proves to be tough enough, it could be a pretty nice tool.

Sometimes space is more important than weight; I can imagine that snowmobilers would be pretty happy with a tool like that.

I am fully aware that traditional can be good, but by the same token, new takes on traditional items can be implemented without causing a rift in the universe.

Can't you just imagine some cranky old dude around the turn of the last century, handling a brand-new 1911 pistol and muttering about new-fangled junk...?

sm
March 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
Can't you just imagine some cranky old dude around the turn of the last century, handling a brand-new 1911 pistol and muttering about new-fangled junk...?

I probably said that in a former life, just I don't remember. *grin*

*its-a-curmudgeon-thang*

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 8, 2009, 11:00 PM
Well, I'll be darned:

Excellent for chopping

an AXE, excellent for CHOPPING, you say?! Hmmm. Sorry, in my book, Gerber is pretty much so much junk. But it's cool looking. :)

Sunray
March 8, 2009, 11:19 PM
That's a hatchet, not an ax. This is an ax.
http://www.primalforge.co.uk/images/super/416.2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I axe a question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!