Beretta versus Glockenspiel

PDA

Duke of Doubt
March 7, 2009, 03:39 PM
The other poll was supposed to survey which is more popular, the M9/92FS or the Glock (17?). That's a simple question, with the simple answer that the Beretta has sold far more. But some folks wanted to debate which was better. So:

1. The Beretta 92FS, carried by our Army in battle, or

2. The black plastic Glockenspiel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta versus Glockenspiel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DawgFvr
March 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
Retired Army here. I'll take the Glock over the Beretta any day of the week.

GTSteve03
March 7, 2009, 04:07 PM
A plastic Glockenspiel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glockenspiel) would sound terrible, no resonance. :rolleyes:

VegasOPM
March 7, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have 2 Berettas and 7 GLOCKs. They are both boringly reliable, durable and equally accurate. I just sold a G17 with over 100,000 rounds through it and my 92 has 10,000 or so rounds through it- with no noticeable wear. The GLOCK 17 holds 2 more rounds than the 92, and the 19 holds 2 more rounds than the 92 Compact. I don't like the DA/SA transition as much as I do the safe action trigger.

It is like asking which is better, Honda or Toyota?

22lr
March 7, 2009, 04:42 PM
The 92. I'm a fan of metal guns. Ive had plastic ones and sold em once I got my first steel frame, a 5906. Everyone has a Glock and im just not a guy that wants to be like everyone else. At least with a 92 you can dress it up with a nice pair of wood grips.

Dragk913
March 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
I've been asking myself this question for a while..
Trying to choose between a Beretta 96 and a Glock 27. I've always been in love w/Beretta but you can't deny Glock's reliability..

You can get nice holsters, hi-cap mags, and all sorts of bells and whistles for both. I can get the Glock a little cheaper (especially w/the Military discount) but it's definitely a hard decision for me.

Oh, and as to Toyota or Honda..Toyota wins hands down. Honda sucks.
But then again I would take a Harley/Yamaha over a Toyota...

Oro
March 7, 2009, 08:46 PM
It is like asking which is better, Honda or Toyota?

Toyota, obviously, just as Drag. says. Unless you are talking motorcycles, then it gets complicated...

But on this debate, I go Beretta. I don't see a reliability/durability issue, so this is how I decide: It feels better to my hand and the trigger more natural. Looks better, too.

Dragk913
March 7, 2009, 10:03 PM
Toyota, obviously, just as Drag. says. Unless you are talking motorcycles, then it gets complicated...

Hehe. Well my cars a Toyota but my bikes a Yamaha (Hopefully to become a Harley soon:D)

bannockburn
March 7, 2009, 10:19 PM
I would probably opt for the Glock 17 as the Berettas transition from DA to SA is not quite as consistent as the Glocks trigger design. Also the Beretta feels larger and not as ergonomic in my smaller sized hand as the Glock does. Now if you were talking about the Beretta Model 92 Vertec, then I would consider switching my vote for the Beretta, as this design is much more user friendly (for myself), than the Beretta Model 92FS.

357sigRog
March 7, 2009, 11:24 PM
I do like my Glock's.

sarduy
March 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
go to the store, and work a deal to get both with the military discount

usmc1371
March 8, 2009, 06:04 AM
I would have tradded any one of the M9's I shot in the marines for my glock 35 in a heart beat. The 92 I bought 12 years ago that wasn't beat down by the USMC was a joy to shoot but its gone and the glock stays.

MachIVshooter
March 8, 2009, 06:35 AM
Here I was expecting a thread on how effective the 9x19mm was when pitted against a large German xylophone.............

Retired Army here. I'll take the Glock over the Beretta any day of the week.

Please don't take offense, as your service is both respected and appreciated in every capacity. But the VAST majority of service men and women I know, regardless of branch, have very little knowledge of firearms beyond what they trained on while in the military. In other words, military or LE experience does not automatically qualify one as a firearm expert. Not saying you aren't, just that I don't see it as intrinsic.

legion3
March 8, 2009, 07:04 AM
Both are great guns but the Beretta is awfully big compared to the Glock 17 and especially the 19 (with whom it shares capacity). The Beretta is a great military/leo full size handgun but the Glock is a Glock and to those who serious shooters that means much!

Duke of Doubt
March 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
Big is good.

DougW
March 8, 2009, 11:25 AM
Soldier son sold the 92 and bought a G19. His shooting improved immediately.

GTSteve03
March 8, 2009, 11:27 AM
It's nice to see even a musical instrument beats the Beretta in a poll. ;)

Taurus_9mm
March 10, 2009, 09:07 AM
I've got nothing against the Glock but between the two, I'd opt for the Beretta. :evil:

Pizzagunner
March 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Beretta of course. Many of Uncle Sam's aren't in the best of shape, but hardly anyone complains about privately owned 92FS pistols.

More class.
Better ergonomics.
Equal reliability.
Seventeen round and twenty round mags readily available.
Military service pistol versus plastic zip gun.;)

newmenu
March 10, 2009, 03:45 PM
you know, there is a reason why the 92 is our military's sidearm and why LE uses the glock. If you want a good cheap gun, get a glock, if you want a better more combat ready gun, get a Berretta or a Sig or an HK(dont believe me? ask a military person with field experience who has shot all 4 guns which ones he/she would rather take to war) then ask a cop who makes $12/hr which he/she likes better.

The cop will most likely tell you the glock, but would love to shoot a sig or Hk or 92 if they could.

then weigh the 2 answers based on the givers experience with real world shooting experinece.

AWP79
March 10, 2009, 03:47 PM
I voted glock but the 92 is still a very good gun.

Coltman 77
March 10, 2009, 04:46 PM
Both are great pistols, but imho, the Beretta edges out the Glock.

It just feels good in hand, balances well is accurate and reliable.

I do have a Walther PPS so I'm used to the "Glock safety system" style of pistol. But the Beretta's safety, decocking lever is very nice.

It also has many years of proven military service for the USA.

Matt-J2
March 10, 2009, 05:33 PM
Given that only one of the choices is a gun, I didn't vote.

23Glock
March 10, 2009, 07:51 PM
While you're stirring the pot, why not start another "9mm vs .45" thread?

Jed Carter
March 10, 2009, 08:26 PM
So duke, just what are the sales figures on each firearm? Private sales vs issued? I own each... vote Glock.

10-Ring
March 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
When it got down to it, I couldn't decide -- I own both -- and I'm glad I do :D

doberman
March 11, 2009, 01:29 AM
I own both. 92FS and G19

The Beretta is very well made and "Smooth" if you know what I mean.

The Glock is "rougher" but no nonsense.

Both great guns and go bang everytime so far.

Downsides to the 92FS: Too large for the 9mm IMO, hate the slide decocker and safty (it goes the wrong way! :D), gunsmithing beyond my ability.

Upsides to the 92FS: Living in MN sometimes shooting with gloves is necessary. The large trigger guard is appreciated.

Downsides to the Glock: Small trigger guard and can't change the grips. I own a Gen2 and prefer it to the Gen3 so not a problem but...

Upsides to the G19: Definitely home gunsmithing.

I'd take both in a pinch, but would slightly favor the G19.

My 2 cents

Yo2slick
March 11, 2009, 01:39 AM
I vote Beretta, probably why I bought the 92FS instead of a Glock. IMHO the Beretta feels better in the hand, shoots more comfortably, and looks more attractive than the Glock. Glock is a good gun, but it has a face only a mother could love. LOL.

Flea
March 11, 2009, 02:25 AM
I voted Glock. Even though our army may not use them as a standard sidearm, there are plenty of other military forces that do. :)

That being said, I have carried one (G17) every day for nearly 3 years.

Kind of Blued
March 11, 2009, 03:40 AM
Glock, to make up for the unfounded bias in the original post. Why start the thread if you clearly don't care about what people have to say?

I've also shot both and like the Glock a lot better. The G19 holds 15 rounds and weighs 21 oz, while the 92FS holds 15 rounds and weighs 34.4 oz. I still shoot the G19 better.

I also think that a backwards slide-mounted safety on a fighting pistol is one of the worst ideas to ever appear on a widely-accepted handgun design.

ZombiesAhead
March 11, 2009, 04:28 AM
I consider these two guns pretty different. I would choose either for different purposes. I have shot Beretta 92's and own/carry a CZ-75 which is, in some ways, comparable.

I also have shot Glock 17's and own/carry a Glock 19.

I would make the choice based on weight (plastic/metal) and SA/DA - external safety considerations.

Sapper771
March 11, 2009, 08:15 AM
I chose Glock because I carried a beretta 92 in Iraq for a year. I am not knocking the beretta, but mine usually didnt work and neither did anyone elses. My company didnt have an armorer, just a guy that was filling the slot. Most of the berettas got brought to me because I knew a little about them, but of course, that doesnt make me an expert as was already pointed out.
These berettas werent your normal off the shelf pistols, they had a rough life and were wore out. The best beretta on our base was the commanders, it had been sent south to a larger base where a civilian contractor(gunsmith) tuned it up. I have been in the sandstorms with a beretta, and it was not a good feeling. The SpecOp Groups operating in our area were carrying Glock 21's, and they basically have a wide selection of sidearms, based on SOP. The Iraqi Police were carrying Glock 19's and they absolutely love them, but they didnt have a wide variety, but they could get anything on the open arms market there(sigs , HKs, Berettas).
I even had an Iraqi Army Captain tell me that he felt sorry for us because we were issued berettas! LOL
I have owned a lot of Glocks, and never had a problem out of any of them, but that is just my experience. I dont baby my Glocks either, mine have been in the sand, dirt, mud , snow, monsoons, etc..
From actually torture testing them, to actually being caught out in a bad place at a bad time (thank you Murphy) , they have not failed me.

I carry a Glock as my duty weapon, and it has seen its fair share of the elements with no problems.

Am I a die hard Glock fan ? No. I actually like my Wilson Combat for off duty carry better. When it comes down to the nitty and the gritty....... here ....hold this beretta, now , if you dont care.... hand me that Glock over there..

Just my experience though........

SigP229R
March 11, 2009, 01:19 PM
A plastic Glockenspiel would sound terrible, no resonance.
Also I'm with 22lr I'll take my Beretta any day over any Glock but, i'll take most anything over a Glock or a plastic gun.

KINGMAX
March 11, 2009, 01:22 PM
G21 = My choice

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta versus Glockenspiel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!