To buy a Mak or Not to buy a Mak...

PDA

Soundtrackzz
March 7, 2009, 09:30 PM
Okay so i was at my local shop the other day and i saw a nice Mak for $200. I just turned 21 so of course I started buying pistols. I got a Sig 229 today and im looking to expand my collection and soon... I just so happend to have $200 bucks left over from buying the Sig. So im considering buying this litte Mak. Its light and thin so i think it would make a good carry gun when i get my license. Does anyone else have any experience carrying a mak? I know the cartridge is a little weak, but it will put somebody down and thats the point right?

Thanks
Z

If you enjoyed reading about "To buy a Mak or Not to buy a Mak..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Litlman
March 7, 2009, 10:01 PM
Hey, the Mak has a great following . It is currently my favorite to shoot & I pop it in an OWB holster or in my front pocket. Accurate & reliable & durable! Easy to take down & to clean. I have 2 Bulgarians & realy like them alot! 200 is a good price right now, a while ago they were dirt cheap. Not any more. Punch Makarov in the search function & there is a ton of information. Oh the round is not that anemic. Enjoy your SIG!

jonnyc
March 7, 2009, 10:26 PM
Makarovs are great pistols and you wouldn't be disappointed. What flavor is it? At $200 you can't go wrong, assuming it's in pretty good nick.

mudriver
March 7, 2009, 11:37 PM
Some of the Maks are crazy accurate and very reliable. I am in serious lust with my EG mak, and I only got over it when I found my P7 : )

I use my EG as my IWB gun and it is great!!!

sharkhunter2018
March 7, 2009, 11:46 PM
I've gotta Bulgarian which I love. It's been reliable and accurate since I got it...plus, you can't hurt the darn things. Incredibly EASY to take apart and put back together for cleaning. It also sits on my nightstand at night.

I say get it. You'll be happy you did.

nwilliams
March 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
To buy of course!

Makarovs are marvelous little guns, I love my little IJ70!

$200 is a very fair price considering how hard they are to find now.

elkyote
March 8, 2009, 03:19 AM
Is it two toned? If so, I bet it's a PA-63. The thing that struck me is that you said it was light, a Makarov is fairly heavy (all steel). I love my PA-63 though, but for 200 it better come with a spare magazine or two! If it's a real Makarov PM, go for it, it's a good deal!

b00ch
March 8, 2009, 04:01 AM
I have 3-4 at least. its a cool gun to have in a collection and considering the history of them = Neat-O-...

I remember when they were <100 ea... stilll 200 for a gun that armys have used for years.

camacho
March 8, 2009, 06:34 AM
Make sure it is a real Mak not the Hungarian FEG as a someone posted above. Here is a good link for real Maks vs. other guns.

http://www.makarov.com/others/index.html

CajunBass
March 8, 2009, 06:58 AM
Mak's are great little guns.

Keeterbird
March 8, 2009, 01:15 PM
If it is really a MAK grab it quick and head for the door.
If it is an FEG linger a while. Good gun, but not a Mak. Some folks think anything that shoots 9x18 is a Mak. TAIN'T so!

Pilot
March 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
Another Mak fan. I have five, from three different countries, East German, Bulgaria and Russia and they are all great shooters.

Litlman
March 8, 2009, 05:20 PM
I would buy another one at $200.

swiftak
March 8, 2009, 06:23 PM
I got my first Mak a month ago. Its an East German. Paid 200 for it. I just fired it for the 2nd time today. Neat little gun. I'm keeping my eye out for another.

Craig M. Arnold
March 8, 2009, 11:03 PM
I've had dozens of Maks over the years. All of them were great little pistols.

I still have three of them, including this one that I carry once in awhile.

Best regards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/cmarnold7/IMG_0006.jpg

broken
March 9, 2009, 09:26 AM
always wanted the real thing,had a couple pa63"s 149.00, but couldnt pay the 300.00 they wanted for the mac,only one ive seen,now i wonder if i shoulda grabbed her.

Marlin 45 carbine
March 9, 2009, 09:33 AM
I've got a Russki commercial model and really like it.
it has replaced my .357 as 'bedpost' gun in a spare holster velcro taped to bedpost.

TripleL
March 9, 2009, 05:44 PM
"So im considering buying this litte Mak. Its light and thin so i think it would make a good carry gun"

Doesn't sound like a true Makarov to me. Makarovs are neither light or thin. Make sure it's not a Polish P-64 or a Hungarian PA-63 like someone said. $200 would be a good price for a real Mak but a bit steep for a P-64 or PA-63.

makarovnik
March 9, 2009, 06:07 PM
For $200 I would buy it. Lots of parts both factory and aftermarket available. They're a must have for all semi-auto lovers.

dobrzemetal
March 9, 2009, 07:52 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/p0lice1234/100_0537.jpg

I love my Mak, if the one your talking about is in nice shape I would grab it. The 9x18 is a good round, although some would argue that anything under a hand cannon isn't suitable for self-defense. However, I never feel undergunned and I know it WILL go bang when I need it too.

Dr_2_B
March 10, 2009, 12:13 AM
I own lotsa handguns but MAN I LOVE my Makarov. One of the sweetest things I've ever fired.

If you enjoyed reading about "To buy a Mak or Not to buy a Mak..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!