SKS disassembly trouble.

PDA

mljdeckard
March 7, 2009, 11:32 PM
Ok, I'm trying to install a Tapco on a Yugo. I removed the gas tube assembly to take off the wood shield, to replace it with the new one. There is a metal bracket holding the shield on, around the top of the tube. This is held in place by a tapered pin. The instructions say to knock it out with a hammer and punch. So I try it, in the direction shown in the illustrations, and all I've done so far is break two punches and ding up the bracket. I tried driving it in both directions and it won't budge. I dropped some penetrating oil on it and it didn't do anything.

I have a new rivet to replace the pin, but I need to capture the bracket alive. Is there an easy way to get this thing out?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS disassembly trouble." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
280shooter
March 8, 2009, 01:09 AM
I did what your trying to do. but on a chinese sks.. And the pin came right out.Is the pin your trying to get out rolled over on its edges..is it a rolled pin? or a reg solid pin?
is your punch going into the hole if its a rolled pin? if so you'll never get the pin put.

mljdeckard
March 8, 2009, 01:35 AM
I've been researching this one for a couple of hours.

It's a pin that is apparently peened on both ends, making it very difficult to tell which end is smaller in the first place. Here's the funny part. The little bracket that holds the wood to the tube, held in place with this troublesome pin, is called the ferrule. Replacements are extremely rare, if not impossible to find at all. I can buy a tube from tapco, with the replacement handguard already installed for $59, but I STILL need that ferrule, which means I have to get that pin out anyway. Even if I tear out the wood guard I have to remove that pin to get the ferrule intact.

Guys on some other forums have drilled the pins, hammered them, bent the ferrules and reshaped them, but no one is selling new ferrules. At the moment, I put it back together in the new stock with the wood handguard. Tacky? Absolutely. But far from the worst I've done. At least it will still work this way until I can find someone who can drill that pin for me.

jim147
March 8, 2009, 01:36 AM
You may have to grind down the end of the pin to make sure it is the same size as the hole. Grind or file or sand the pin down to meet the bracket. You should be able to just see the outline of the pin in the metal of the bracket.

280shooter
March 8, 2009, 01:38 AM
your right when I did mine what was a lot of years ago. I had to grind the area down to see the pin,, and mine was a solid pin, But I did have to grind the top a little. and it poped right out..

mljdeckard
March 8, 2009, 01:41 AM
It's already pretty flush with the hole on both sides, nothing to file. I have to drill it.

husker
March 8, 2009, 01:57 AM
try a little heat. mapp gas and a tip. give a good min 1/2 to heat up then drive it right out.if your scared of burning something then use a ZAK LEE trick and get a soldering iron and put the tip on the pin. it will take longer to get the metal hot but will work just the same. as long as you dont have to worry about burning any wood id go with gas just for the BTU that gas will give you. should come right out . you guys scare me when i hear about hand drills

280shooter
March 8, 2009, 03:02 AM
heat it up. it should pop out,,u might scorch the wood some, but it will come out, its just tight,, I had to pound on mine too...

Flyboy73
March 8, 2009, 03:31 AM
I tried to remove the ferrule from chinese sks, but no luck either. I went ahead and got the Tapco tube with handguard and didn't need the stock ferrule. I did however have to file down on the Tapco tube to get it to fit into the rifle.

Brion

rust collector
March 8, 2009, 02:28 PM
After a few preliminary attempts to no avail, I read up on the problem and elected to simply sand down the wood handguard on my Norinco (which I installed in a redish fiber "jungle stock"). I then painted it black rather than trying to match the stock color.

Not a thing of beauty before or after, but the wood is at least as good as a flimsy plastic or perf metal guard.

mljdeckard
March 11, 2009, 01:05 PM
In case anyone was still caring, I took it to the gunsmith at Impact, he rolled his eyes, took it in his shop, came back 15 minutes later with the new handguard installed. Didn't say how he did it, charged me $15, which I figure is a bargain.

Rodigon
March 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
i didn't read everyone's reply, but...
i have the yugo, and did replace the stock and hand guard..
i had to drill one of the ends and then punch it out..
i had the same problem, and mine was not a roll pin..
but once i drilled the end down to be punched out, it worked..
also, i believe you will have a problem with the new pin..
you might have to flatten it out more so it will clear to fit..
it is going to likely be a very tight fit..hopefully this info is
helpful...good luck..
:cuss:

mljdeckard
March 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
Luckily the smith did it all for me.

My new problem is getting off the grenade launcher to install the muzzle brake. Knocking out the pin was easy. Now I need to put the action in a vise, and twist off the grenade launcher with a pipe wrench, WITHOUT twisting the barrel out of the action. I'm thinking a lot of penetrating oil, a torch, and some red loc-tite.

husker
March 11, 2009, 05:19 PM
it sounds to me like your going about it righthttp://www.campcreekrailroad.com/image027.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS disassembly trouble." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!