Home Defense Pistol: Sig 220 or Glock 21

PDA

jwalker497
March 7, 2009, 10:49 PM
I have narrowed my home defense pistol search down to these last 2 contenders. Both 45acp. Glock 21 and Sig P220. I wil be adding a Viridian X5L laser/Light to this gun and it will not be carried. Purely a HD/SHTF gun. With that in mind, each has their pros & cons.

The sig is way better looking, more ergonomic feel, and better finish/quality. Whereas the glock is cheaper, less complicated action (never had a SA/DA, and holds more rounds.

This is a very tough decision becuase It seems as if each other pros are the others cons and vice versa, seems soo equal when considering all factors. PS - I do not have the ability to rent or test fire either. All I can say is I did handle both and the sig in my mind had the better feel, finish, etc as I listed above but the G has its pros as well as a I listed below.

Which would you prefer & why?? Please vote and explain. Thanks sooo much!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Defense Pistol: Sig 220 or Glock 21" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baneblade
March 8, 2009, 12:44 AM
I own both and enjoy shooting both, however, I voted for the Glock.

Initially, it is a capacity issue. The Glock simply holds more. Second is a maintenance issue. I have run both dirty (very dirty) and the Sig did fail, the Glock did not.

Also, if you are not accustomed to the DA/SA trigger it does take extra training to master. Depending on how well you take to it, there can be extensive trigger time required to master both trigger pulls. The Glock keeps it simple.

My biggest complaint on the Glock is how well it fits my hand. It doesn't. However, the new slim frame model is much more comfortable.

Also, you can buy the Glock, extra mags, holster, ammo, and night sights for the base cost of a new Sig 220.

Glocks are easier to work on, especially if you are new to handguns.

Both are proven, reliable, long lasting guns. What is more important to you: fit and feel or capacity?

yongxingfreesty
March 8, 2009, 12:50 AM
21 because 13 > 8

usmc1371
March 8, 2009, 05:47 AM
I voted glock for the simple fact that I think it is a simpler gun to learn. Not that sig is hard and they are nice guns wish i had one but the glock is simple, accurate, reliable. You will be well served by eathier one

sohcgt2
March 8, 2009, 10:56 AM
looks like a lot of folks vote Sig and don't say why, haters would be my guess. For what will likely be the worst day of your life I would recommend the Glock. I have 2 and have never experienced a malfunction with either and there is no secondary safety to confuse you when that bad day begins. Just point,squeeze,bang, every time. There is a reason it is the most popular police issue in the country.

jmr40
March 8, 2009, 11:03 AM
I actually like both but went with Sig. As a nightstand gun I like the trigger on the Sig better. Overall I like the Glock better, but the Glock needs to be kept in a holster covering the trigger or without a round chambered. Waking up in the middle of the night and reaching for a gun in the dark I would prefer the DA trigger.

9mmepiphany
March 8, 2009, 02:37 PM
i've owned both the Glock and the Sig and sold the Glock...grip was too big. not that i'm a Glock hater...i still have a G22 in the garage and a G19 that i sometimes carry...but the G21 just didn't fit my hand as well.

the main addvantage of the DA/SA Sig as a nightstand gun is the trigger. it's just like having a wheelgun next to your bed. because of the light/short travel trigger of the Glock, it really should have it's trigger covered in a holster or have left with it's chamber empty.

i carried a Sig 220 (alloy frame) for years, but my prefered 220, for nightstand duty is the ST model with the stainless frame. the extra weight doesn't make a difference if you're not going to carry it and it does offset some of the recoil. i got my two 220STs as CPO models for about $600 each

Ala Dan
March 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
You can't beat a SIG-SAUER P220A; especially one of the older West
German weapons~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

Hanafuda
March 8, 2009, 07:38 PM
I didn't vote. I would pick another .45 than the options given.

TurboJeff
March 10, 2009, 05:26 AM
I vote for the Glock 21. I have the sf version with a TLR-1 weapon light. This gun is never carried and is strictly for HD.

sparkyguy66
March 10, 2009, 08:38 AM
I've always wanted a Sig 220, but have yet to own one. I have owned a G21 and loved it. Fired everytime, accurate and it fit my hand fine.

benzuncle
March 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
Fired both; bought a Sig. Love the SIGLITE Night Sights.

Dan Crocker
March 10, 2009, 02:38 PM
the main addvantage of the DA/SA Sig as a nightstand gun is the trigger. it's just like having a wheelgun next to your bed. because of the light/short travel trigger of the Glock, it really should have it's trigger covered in a holster or have left with it's chamber empty.

I leave mine without one in the tube when on nightstand duty. Hopefully (crossing fingers) that loud, unmistakable sound will cause an intruder to beat a hasty exit...

Anna's Dad
March 10, 2009, 02:39 PM
Glocks just don't feel right in my hand and Sigs do.

I actually prefer a Smith M&P and H&K USP but between the two, I'd go with Sig. YMMV.

Hhrshooter
March 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
I own both and prefer the Sig P220 hands down! Better fit and function.
Dave

AWP79
March 10, 2009, 03:49 PM
Sig :D

newmenu
March 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
The sig is simply the better pistol in every way you can think other than capacity. for that reason the glock 21 is possbly the fattest pistol you can grab other than a deagle maybe. so if you are a huge guy with hands like Yao Ming, go for the G21 otherwise, go sig all day long. I would also look into the HK USP 45 if you like polymer guns but dont want to sacrifise on quality, DA/SA functionality and accuracy.

newmenu
March 10, 2009, 03:56 PM
btw, the HK USP 45 holds 12+1 rounds and has much less recoil and far better ergos than the g21. Id say having the ability to be accurate beyond your first shot far outweighs the 1 solitary extra bullet you get in a glock.

but hay, if your Yao Ming, get the g21, put some hogues on it and conceal on an ankle holster. Better yet get a .50cal Deagle with the extended mag and put it in an IWB hoslter and use the g21 as an ankle BUG.

jwalker497
March 10, 2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the comments. I am not sure if this changes things and I regret not having clarified this in the original post but the glock model I would be looking @ is the G21SF and the Sig is the 220 Carry DAK model.

PS - Seems like there are 2 Major issues. Capacity and Grip size. I guess 8 would suffice but 13 sure sounds nice!!! By the way, can someone please resolve this nagging question I have?? - Does anyone know the actual grip dimensions of the 21SF & 220Carry DAK?? I cannot seem to find anything other than the glock grip is 1.27in wide and the sig is 1.5in wide but (not specified if that's slide or grip)

Please help!!!
Thanks as always!

gmh1013
March 11, 2009, 04:48 PM
Sig - I have a SIG SP2022 and love it, and have shot the .45. I Have a thing againt Glocks, No firing hammer and I just dont like the looks of them IMHO.

DevilDog0402
March 11, 2009, 04:57 PM
Voted Glock, but whichever feels better in your hand. My XD45 is my "nightstand gun".

skeeter_08
March 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/JIC/51340.jpg

This "JIC" trench broom has "HD/SHTF" written all over it!

jeff-10
March 11, 2009, 05:12 PM
I own a Sig P226 and a Glock 23. I like the Sig a lot better so I voted for the 220. However my night stand gun is a S&W 686.

styles
September 6, 2010, 11:00 AM
SIG P220 DAK
SIG is more controllable, for me; even with DAK I'm faster:accurate on follow-ups. Trigger/controls are better for Wife. Actually, the simplicity of the DAK starts winning you over even if you weren't already. It's nice. It's not fun to CCW, but for HD. Winner! P239 DAK if you're wondering.

swmp9jrm
September 6, 2010, 01:57 PM
No question - P220. I've got this one sitting beside my La-Z-Boy.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2iljwnt.jpg

Full Metal Jacket
September 6, 2010, 04:06 PM
glock: much higher capacity, and will feed anything reliably. plus, you can shoot +p till the cows come home and not wear out the gun ;)

i have small hands, and either the standard or SF works for me.

joe_security
September 6, 2010, 04:18 PM
Sig Dak....Very safe to handle under the stress of an HD encounter.

Almond27
September 6, 2010, 05:05 PM
Just for home defense I don't see how you can go wrong with the Glock 21 unless it just doesn't fit your hand. Still why move up to an expensive gun to use in the Sig 220, to many other good choices. Smith and Wesson M&P .45 or Springfield XD .45, or Stoger Cougar .45 would all be considerations I would recommend also.

EVIL
September 6, 2010, 05:14 PM
I own the GLOCK 21 SF w/ the mil-std rail. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a better "house gun" in .45. I don't find it grip fat (but I have pretty big mits) - in fact I had a 5' petite-framed lady co-worker out shooting it just this past week and she shot great (proper 2 handed grip helps)! The SF's are better than the older large frame GLOCKS IMHO. I don't know if it is common, but I find the full size and subcompacts more comfortable than the compacts?

That being said every SIG I have shot I enjoyed too - I would rent them both and see which one you shoot better - the 13 rd GLOCK won't be any better for you if you shoot the 8rd SIG better.

Strahley
September 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
G21SF, as long as it doesn't have the ambi mag release. Hate that

SIGs are probably my favorite, but I have never warmed up to the P220. Dunno why. I can't shoot them as well as I can any of the other SIGs

rellascout
September 6, 2010, 05:30 PM
Pick whichever one you shoot best. Asking a bunch of people on the interweb which one is best for me makes about as much sense as asking us to pick out a new mattresses for you.

Our input is meaningless it is all about how you interact with the guns in question. Both are reliable choices so the rest is completely subjective IMHO.

IMTHDUKE
September 6, 2010, 06:20 PM
SIG P220 DAK
SIG is more controllable, for me; even with DAK I'm faster:accurate on follow-ups. Actually, the simplicity of the DAK starts winning you over even if you weren't already.
What this guy said:)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/P220DAK-1.jpg

zoom6zoom
September 6, 2010, 07:53 PM
Since the thread is a year and a half old, maybe the OP will drop back by and let us know what his decision was.

WRGADog
September 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
This gun is unbelievably accurate and easy to shoot and maintain. I like the extra capacity of the Glock and considered a Glock 21 regular and SF, but both felt uncomfortable in my hand. So, I purchased the Sig and have absolutely no regrets. I do own a Glock 45, the 30SF, that I keep in my truck full time.

PO2Hammer
September 6, 2010, 10:37 PM
My only issue with a Sig would be the long, soft trigger reset on the standard DA/SA model. It can easily be short stroked. I know I was prone to short stroking my Sig after firing Glocks.
Sigs are very nice guns, but I think the quality is lost in a basic SHTF/SD sceanrio.
The Glock has a very positive trigger reset and is reliable. A better pure combat gun IMO.

Full Metal Jacket
September 6, 2010, 10:56 PM
Since the thread is a year and a half old, maybe the OP will drop back by and let us know what his decision was.

lol i didn't even notice that someone had resurrected an old thread. people need not waste their time posting on this one anymore. let it sink down into obscurity....

styles
September 7, 2010, 01:20 AM
It was me. I got turned around, followed a link, and didn't realize this was an old thread. Sorry :banghead: :o

Ben86
September 7, 2010, 07:44 AM
I vote Glock 21, mainly because of the high capacity. (8 compared to 13)

Seven For Sure
September 7, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'm a Glock fan but I would also choose another .45 besides the two listed. I'll name them but won't comment on why since you have the two you like narrowed down. I would choose the FN X or the FS M&P. Good luck with your decision, either one is a sound choice.

Water-Man
September 7, 2010, 09:58 AM
No comparison. Sig P220 is as good as it gets. If eight rounds and extra mags don't do it in your own home nothing will.

Ben86
September 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
If eight rounds and extra mags don't do it in your own home nothing will.

If only I had a crystal ball I might be able to agree with you.

Water-Man
September 7, 2010, 11:19 AM
A crystal ball is not required. Common sense will do it.

lanber
September 7, 2010, 11:37 AM
Water-Man:

Well, I've got a Sig P220 as well as 27 other fine handgun choices and 12 long gun choices, but I go with my XD 45 for many reasons.

CHEVELLE427
September 7, 2010, 11:52 AM
i have never owned or shot either

i voted for the sig only because i have not heard anyone say there sig had a

KA-BOOM

glocks are a bi-weekly thing it seems

my HD AND CARRY guns are XD's , sc40 & 4in 45acp

Full Metal Jacket
September 7, 2010, 03:42 PM
LMAO!

you guys, this thread is 1.5 years old. the OP has not returned. who are you guys trying to convince? :eek:

oasis618
September 7, 2010, 03:57 PM
I didn't vote. I would pick another .45 than the options given.
Rebel!

lanber
September 7, 2010, 04:17 PM
lol

John_galt
September 7, 2010, 04:41 PM
Is there anyone here who could mercifully lock this thread and put it to a humane death?

9mmepiphany
September 7, 2010, 06:43 PM
ask and it shall be done

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Defense Pistol: Sig 220 or Glock 21" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!