.22 lr conver. for ar?

PDA

f8talh8red
March 7, 2009, 11:48 PM
im thinkin of getting a .22 lr conversion for my ar to save a little money, actually a lot of money at the range. can anyone tell me if that could ruin or wear out anything faster than using the normal .223?

thanx

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 lr conver. for ar?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
280shooter
March 8, 2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/showbestsellers.asp

check these guys out,,ask them any queston u may have

btefft
March 8, 2009, 01:00 AM
I've just ordered me a Spikes Tactical.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=176

I've heard you better keep the AR clean and be sure to shoot some 223s after cleaning the bore to operate the gas system.

Hack

f8talh8red
March 8, 2009, 03:00 AM
so why did you choose that one over the ceiner. and do you know if the nickel plating on the one you ordered makes any difference? nickel plating causes less fouling right?

Eb1
March 8, 2009, 08:58 AM
what about the CMMG .22 Bolt Carrier Group from Brownells?

f8talh8red
March 8, 2009, 05:10 PM
the spikes tactical has the nickel plating wich causes less friction and fouling or something and it comes with a gas tube plug so that doesnt get dirty.Also it says it has some stabalizer thing wich helps the kit bore stay centered. the only thing is, it doesnt say anything about a warranty for the spikes kit. the brownells kit has a lifetime warranty. all in all i think im gunna buy the spikes kit.

btefft
March 9, 2009, 02:11 AM
f8talh8red, frankly, it was a gut feeling that stimulated me to buy the Stokes (Ooops, Spikes)

I liked CMMG and the Ceiner, but I liked the "prettiness" of the Stokes more.

I may live to regret it, I'll do a range report later - good or bad.

Hack

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 09:49 AM
I think you will not be dissipointed with the spikes, my dedicated upper is flawless, and more accurate than the red dot i put on it. (shoots inside the dot, need to get a smaller one:D)

zoom6zoom
March 9, 2009, 03:08 PM
The CMMG is fine.

Schuey2002
March 9, 2009, 03:45 PM
Stokes?

f8talh8red
March 9, 2009, 04:28 PM
anyone have pics of their ar's?

f8talh8red
March 9, 2009, 06:32 PM
oh yeah, and does anybody know how my 16" 1:9 will do with the .22lr?

gidaeon
March 9, 2009, 08:02 PM
I've seen used Colt .22 conversion kits on the market though not often.

I was very tempted by one at $150 but then realized, "wait. I can buy a dedicated used .22lr rifle with better end accuracy for half that!"

IndianaBoy
March 9, 2009, 08:07 PM

I have a 16" 1:9 and it does just fine. It is not a benchrest gun, but that isn't why I bought it.

I honestly haven't tried to shoot it for groups. Out to 50 yards, soda cans are no problem.

Lucky Strike
March 9, 2009, 08:11 PM
I've got the CMMG one (which is identical to the ceiner) and have only used it once so far and had some feeding issues but like most .22 firearm related things i'm sure the fix is just finding the right brand of ammo.

Get the CMMG or Spikes....avoid Ceiner since he's got the worst customer service out there

f8talh8red
March 9, 2009, 09:31 PM
thanks indianaboy, im not tryin to shoot anything with it past 50 yards anyway, and a pop can aint that bad.

btefft
March 10, 2009, 10:24 AM
"Stokes", my error, don't even know where that came from, I meant Spikes.

Hack

f8talh8red
March 11, 2009, 02:03 PM
forget the coversion kit all together. its cheaper to just buy a marlin or a savage or even a mossberg 22lr. so im gunna do that, and not even mess with my overly expensive ar 15.

atomd
March 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
I just ordered one from Spikes. I could have bought a 10/22 or a marlin 60 or some other semi for the same or less money, but there's a reason I went with the conversion kit. It's more trigger time with my AR. I really enjoy shooting my AR and I can practice more with it now.

If I cared THAT much about accuracy I would have ended up with something more than $200 anyways. .22 plinking is a lot of fun with a semi-auto. If I was thinking about a complete .22 AR upper just to gain the accuracy, I would rather spend that $500-600 and get a real nice and accurate bolt action .22 instead. The conversion kits aren't for benchrest shooters...obviously.

And of course, one less gun to pack up and carry to the range too!

jimk66
March 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm wanting to do the same thing with my BM AR15 A3/w/16" brl and for the same reasons. My little 1022 stock w/4x12 rimfire scope is anice little 22lr, but it's not an AR15. I don't know that first thing about doing the conversion, but with your (members) help I kow I can put a great AR15 22lr rifle together.
Thanks, for your help.
JimK

paradox998
March 11, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have a Spikes 22 conversion kit and have used it in two ar's. They do take a bit to tweaking to get relalible, but that may also be true of other kits. On the Spikes they supply a long spring and you need to trim it back until you get the correct amount of recoil speed. That is, if the spring is too strong, the bolt returns to battery too quickly and catches the shell being ejected. They are also partial to certian types of ammo. Mine likes CCI minimags. All in all I am happy with the kit. I don't know if it is necessary to adjust other brands, but the Spikes kit does allow you to tailor the kit to your rifle. It is fun to shoot your AR for 4.5 cents a round rather than 45 cents a round.

jimk66
March 12, 2009, 02:36 PM
Guys, this conversion business is all very new to me so forgive some silly questions.
On the Spikes web site they list:
1. The conversion kit $200 (round #'s)
2. Barrel $2-300
3. Bolt $ fill in
4. Charging handle
5. ??????
Can you get by with just the conversion kit and do pretty well?
I guess my question is ....why can't you just buy a ready to go upper that is ready to go? Just pull the two pins slip off the stock upper and slip on the new 22 upper. Can you do that?

JimK

f8talh8red
March 12, 2009, 04:04 PM
all you need is the conversion kit, wich is the new bolt assembly and your new mags. $200 thats it.

joejoeshooter
March 13, 2009, 12:18 AM
I took mine out last weekend. Shot 550 with no problems. (ceiner) Had a blast.:D

I did shoot about 5 or 6 more .223 rounds after I finished.

You'll love it.

jjs

f8talh8red
March 13, 2009, 01:43 PM
yeah i just bought the mossberg 702 instead of the kit. got it for $119. now i know nothing will or could happen to my ar from the conversion kit. not sayin that they will do anything. i just feel safer having a dedicated .22lr gun. thank you to everybody for all the help.

me

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
my dedicated upper is flawless, and more accurate than the red dot i put on it. (shoots inside the dot, need to get a smaller one)

I agree; it's called a "crosshair". An ESD on a rimfire is an abomination. :p

btefft
March 15, 2009, 12:12 AM
Maybe a dedicated AR upper is in the future, but I wanted to save the $$$.

Like a few others have said, I wasn't buying a "22 rifle" - I already have a 10/22, Winchester and Marlin.

What I wanted was more shooting time with my AR, but not at the cost of 223s.

PS, Friday, Spikes called and told me the kits were in and they'd be shipping 'em out next week. I should get mine the beginning of the week after next.

Hack

Brian Dale
March 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
I guess my question is ....why can't you just buy a ready to go upper that is ready to go? Just pull the two pins slip off the stock upper and slip on the new 22 upper. Can you do that?In case the other posts didn't answer your question directly: yes, you can do that. Some .22lr AR uppers are expensive, and others can be out of stock for long periods. Last summer, availability was getting better; I don't know which companies have what uppers in stock any more.

jimk66
March 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
Brian, do you think the Spikes upper is a quality product? What other uppers would you recommend?
Thanks everyone for your opinions.
JimK
PS: Roger that on saving the $$ I understand completely. However, I'm retired and can afford to play around a little.:D If this project works out with my Bushy AR15 I will most likely see my little 1022 stock making a new home with my grandson.

Zach S
March 15, 2009, 10:18 AM
I put my upper together myself with a KKF bbl, M1S flat top 9mm upper, and a Ceiner conversion. I spent a little more, but I got to spread it out over a few paychecks instead of buying a complete upper out of one. And since KKF bbls have a .223 chamber, I didn't have to have the chamber adapter modified.

A 1:9 twist will at least be good enough for plinking (much better than my 1:7 was), but you may have one of those freak bbls that are very accurate with .22s.

W L Johnson
March 15, 2009, 10:57 AM
Got the Ciener kit here with some black dog mags. Not one misfire FTF, FTE so far as long as I stay away from Remingtons. With a 16" 1:9 barrel I'm hitting golf balls at 50yds, good enough for me. Make sure you use copper plated 22's to cut down on lead fouling, Federal bulk packs work really well for me.

Have fun

wally
March 15, 2009, 11:03 AM
forget the coversion kit all together. its cheaper to just buy a marlin or a savage or even a mossberg 22lr. so im gunna do that, and not even mess with my overly expensive ar 15

Logically I feel the same way, but these don't get you practice with the AR trigger and sights. Spending $0.40+ per shot to punch holes in paper targets gets less appealing every day.

--wally.

Brian Dale
March 15, 2009, 01:47 PM
jimk66, I don't have one; I just wanted to state clearly that they exist. Zach S knows a lot more than I do. IIRC, people at AR15.com liked KKF and Spike's, among others.

There's also the extreme high end: Accuracy Speaks and Compass Lake Engineering used to make competition-grade Service Rifle uppers in .22LR. Very expensive compared to my own budget, but reputed to be phenomenal. I just enjoy the fact that they exist.

atomd
March 15, 2009, 05:19 PM
Before you buy a Ceiner, google him and see what people have to say about his customer service. Get ready for some long reading sessions! :uhoh:

Brownells is now selling the CMMG kit instead of the Ceiner one...which is basically the same thing. I think the parts are even interchangeable. Most of the kits out there come with a BDM Mag. I went with the Spikes kit because I feel it has a slight advantage for the same $.

btefft, I ordered my kit 2 days after you. Hopefully I'll have mine around then too. That would be nice. They started shipping them mid-week last week I hear. I got some federal bulk packs that are begging to be introduced to the AR.

bglz42
March 15, 2009, 05:43 PM
I love my Ceiner! Never had a problem, so I've never had to talk to the guy. I use mine in my RRA in .22 steel plate competition. Everyone else uses their tricked 10/22's. I shoot my Ciener to get more trigger and sight time on my home defense weapon. That's the main reason I own one...

jimk66
March 15, 2009, 07:19 PM
I tell ya what guy's, The more I read on these various forums the more I'm convinced I should just go with a conversion kit. Mainly because I only want more AR trigger time and 223's are too costly I have a case stashed away with a few hundred extras that I can shoot sparingly just to keep the rifle blown out.
My choice is a Spikes kit that I can run over and pick up (30 min away). I'll probably run over in the morning and go to the range Tues.
Thanks to you-all for sharing your opinions and experiences with the various options available to me for converting my BM AR15 A3/w 16" barrel to shoot 22lr's.
Now that I've made a decision, I can't wait to share our experiences with the new 22.r kits. :fire:
JimK

gvnwst
March 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
my dedicated upper is flawless, and more accurate than the red dot i put on it. (shoots inside the dot, need to get a smaller one)

I agree; it's called a "crosshair". An ESD on a rimfire is an abomination.:p

Funny, funny..... Actually, i now have a extra scope lying around, so i am going to try and mount it on top and the red dot on the side rail....:evil: Make it quik for close and far alike.

f8talh8red
March 19, 2009, 03:30 PM
maybe ill get the conversion later, but till then the mossy 702 will work. if anyone buys the mossy 702 be careful putting back together. the bolt or recoil spring can get jammed in there an bend if your not careful.

Polar Express
March 20, 2009, 12:12 AM
I enjoyed reading this thread. I have been asking this same question for a few weeks. I wanted an economical way to get trigger time on the AR, and have fun. Accuracy of a pop can @ 50 yards is plenty good for fun, so I decided to go with the CMMG kit from Browenlls, (like the no hassel warranty) and a few 26 round mags. (not sure why they don't make it an even 30?)

UPS should arrive with it on the 23rd, so we'll see how it goes shortly after that.

In an ideal world, I'd like several .22 lr rifles in the safe, including a dedicated complete .22LR upper for the AR. But...... $ ain't free.

Thanks!

Zach S
March 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
and a few 26 round mags. (not sure why they don't make it an even 30?)
I'm not sure either, but the BDM 26 and 27 round magazines are as long as a .223 magazine with a magpul ranger floorplate installed. Those other three or four rounds could easily add an inch to the magazine's length. So I'm assuming that OAL was a concern.

His mags used to hold 27 rounds, but a lot of folks kept asking for some sort of BHO. So he made the follower longer, and it holds the bolt when the mag is empty. There's no way to keep the bolt back when you take the mag out, so it really just keeps you from having to keep from counting rounds if you dont want to dry-fire it.

I only load mine to 25 rounds anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 lr conver. for ar?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!