Small Hands

PDA

papafloyd
March 8, 2009, 12:04 AM
I have small hands and am a little concerned about trigger reach. I have handled a few handguns in the shop but realized I never put my finger on the trigger! Can any adjustments be made on a trigger! I definately worried about finding a gun that fits me well. I am still undecided on which caliber to get but want at least a 9mm. Any suggestions on guns for small hands? Would a 1911 model suit me better....the trigger seems to be less of a reach. Would prefer a full size model but will consider all options.

As always thanks for opinions/comments, Ken.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small Hands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ar10
March 8, 2009, 12:09 AM
Try the XD's except the .45APC, that one is thicker.

PT1911
March 8, 2009, 12:12 AM
I would suggest something like a walther p 99 or a smith and wesson M&p as they have very comfortable and adjustable grips to fit smaller hands... I have medium sized hands and what do you know... the medium insert fits me perfectly.... take a look, or more importantly a feel:evil: and i am sureyou will agree.... the steyr M9-A1's feel really good too... this is the one of the three I chose when given the choice, but they may be hard to find right now for....complicated reasons...

Quoheleth
March 8, 2009, 05:57 AM
Lots of good suggestions here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=338177

1911s with short triggers feel very good to me, as does Ruger SP101 (I know...revolver) and M&Ps - for me, with my hands, I actually use the large backstrap to fill out the palm area.

Q

TexasRedneck
March 8, 2009, 10:36 AM
Try the Beretta 96 series, as well....amazingly, smaller-handed folks I've worked with at the range have flat fallen in love w/'em.

Redneck with a 40
March 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have small hands, smaller than most, the XD fits me like a glove, love it.

Billy Shears
March 8, 2009, 11:11 AM
I have small hands and am a little concerned about trigger reach. I have handled a few handguns in the shop but realized I never put my finger on the trigger! Can any adjustments be made on a trigger! I definately worried about finding a gun that fits me well. I am still undecided on which caliber to get but want at least a 9mm. Any suggestions on guns for small hands? Would a 1911 model suit me better....the trigger seems to be less of a reach. Would prefer a full size model but will consider all options.

As always thanks for opinions/comments, Ken.
A 1911 should suit you just fine. I have somewhat small hands, and trigger reach with the 1911 is no problem whatsoever. Another plus is that the 1911 comes with two trigger lengths available. There is the long trigger, such as there was on the original 1911, and the short trigger, introduced with the A1 modifications of 1927. I can shoot either just fine, but find the shorter one more comfortable.

A Browning Hi Power would also be a good choice for you, especially if you want higher capacity. It has a marvelously shaped grip, which even people with the smallest hands seem to find quite comfortable, and trigger reach is not overly long with this gun either.

robctwo
March 8, 2009, 11:27 AM
I have small hands. The CZ75BD 9mm, Browning High Power, and 9mm 1911 all fit me well. I have a set of slim grips on a 9mm 1911 and it is my favorite gun.

Claude Clay
March 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
anyone know the link to the diagram of guns. very well done and perhaps of use to papa

TexasRedneck
March 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
Personally, diagrams and such will be of little practical use in my experience. I've seen guns that on paper would be easy to handle that ergonomically just didn't work for someone.
Best bet is to line up a friend with a variety of different guns and try 'em out...

searcher451
March 8, 2009, 08:47 PM
+1 to TexasRedneck. Regardless of what you hear or see or read, nothing works like a plain-and-simple test-drive. Don't be even so much as tempted to purchase a gun until you've been able to handle it, aim it, fire it, break it down, put it back together, and generally see if it's right for you ... especially in the way that it fits your hand.

HexHead
March 8, 2009, 08:55 PM
A Browning Hi Power would also be a good choice for you, especially if you want higher capacity. It has a marvelously shaped grip, which even people with the smallest hands seem to find quite comfortable, and trigger reach is not overly long with this gun either.

My wife has small hands with short fingers and finding a pistol for her was a challenge. She does very well with my BHP and likes it the best, it's just a little large for carry (especially with the adj. sights). The pistols that fit her the best when we were looking for a carry pistol for her were the Kahr CW9, the Springfield EMP and the Para PDA. She ended up with the Para.

Mastiff
March 8, 2009, 10:09 PM
I have very short hands. The Colt 1911 is at the limit of my reach. The other auto loaders I have found that work for me are the Tokarev TT-33(my favorite), the Star Modelo Super A(a thinner simplified 1911 Clone), the CZ82/83 in single action mode, the Kahr PM9, and the Kel-Tec P3AT.

papafloyd
March 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone for help, the thread. My goal was to get some models to try and see how they feel in my hands. Now I have an idea when I go in what to as to look at.

Thanks again I appreciate the help, Ken

bannockburn
March 8, 2009, 10:32 PM
papafloyd

Most definitely the Browning Hi-Power for small hands; if polymer is an option, then I would look at the Glock 19. I have also found the M1911 frame with a flat mainspring housing also works well with small hands. Most of the larger, double column, full size guns, like the CZ75 and Beretta 92 are a bit out of my comfort zone with the longer stretch for the DA trigger. For CCW, any of the Kahr pistols are a great fit, ergonomically speaking, as well.

The Lone Haranguer
March 8, 2009, 10:38 PM
Kahr pistols fit smaller hands and point and balance very well.

1911s can have triggers with varying lengths of fingerpieces installed.

Several newer pistols have grip backstraps of varying sizes and contours.

makarovnik
March 9, 2009, 06:05 PM
Look for a combination with a single action only trigger and a single stack magazine.

One exception would be the Kahr as another poster stated. My wife can reach the trigger on a Kahr and a 1911 where even a Beretta Bobcat in .22 is too far of a reach.

TexasRedneck
March 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
That's a pretty broad spectrum.....there's a number that'll do the job. What caliber?

mbr
March 9, 2009, 08:15 PM
A couple of things to consider:

Do you have small hands, and/or short fingers? Small hands make it hard to get a solid hold on a larger grip, while short fingers make it harder to reach the trigger. I have average sized hands and short fingers. For me its not the size of the grip that matters but the trigger reach, and the placement of any controls, particularly thumb safeties. For example I love the way a CZ feels in my hand, but I can't always hit the thumb safety, so its out, (I know there are decockers, but I'm making a point.). On the other hand the Glock 30sf, which is a double-stack .45 and generally thought of as too big, fits me like a glove, because of the reduced trigger reach.

It sounds like you are looking for your first handgun, and while I'll probably get lit like a Christmas tree for this, I'm not sure a single action autoloader is the best choice for a first handgun. They have wonderful qualities, but in my opinion are not a good beginner's handgun. Have you considered a revolver? One big advantage of a wheelgun is the availability of different grips to help customize feel and trigger reach. They are also much simpler to operate than most autoloaders.

Teufelhunden
March 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
I've got wide short hands, referred to generically as 'small'. While my Springfield XD40 is very comfortable in my hands, my SIG P220 with a set of slim-grips is even more so.

If that isn't enough for you, SIG also makes a short reach trigger, which is just a slimmer one that puts the face of the trigger further back towards the grip to shorten the trigger reach.

I would agree that a 1911, while a wonderful gun, is probably not the gun to start on. A SIG 220 is standard double action/single action, so will be a little more forgiving of brain/hand disconnects.

-Teuf

1SOW
March 10, 2009, 12:09 AM
I have a very short reach.
The XD service .45 reach works well for me.
Great gun for the money.

denfoote
March 10, 2009, 01:21 AM
Here are the full size guns that fit my hand.

AUTOLOADERS

Glock 30SF.

Walther P99

Walther P5

Walther P38/P1

Ruger P89

Browning High Power

REVOLVERS

Smith and Wesson 28-2 (N-Frame)

Smith and Wesson 65-6LS (K-Frame)

Taurus M66 (Large Frame)

I've included revolvers because man does not live by Browning alone!!

BikerRN
March 10, 2009, 03:52 AM

That's what I was thinking as I read the original post. I guess it's true, GMTA. :)

There are some other good options that have been suggested, Glock 19/23, 1911 Kahr and CZ. You are best served to go to the gunshops and handle the guns you are considering. Even better, go to the Range and shoot them.

BikerRN

CWL
March 10, 2009, 07:51 AM
M1911s are probably the easiest pistol to customize to fit any person's hands. In addition to changable trigger lengths, you can easily change the thickness of the grips to fit any size hands, lastly, you can also decrease some M1911s with curved MSHs to flat ones.

I've also been considering the SIG Sauer P250, which comes with 3 grips and 2 triggers -in addition to changeable calibers.

Jolly Rogers
March 10, 2009, 08:11 AM
Posted by CWL
M1911s are probably the easiest pistol to customize to fit any person's hands. In addition to changable trigger lengths, you can easily change the thickness of the grips to fit any size hands, lastly, you can also decrease some M1911s with curved MSHs to flat ones.

+1 for this. The 1911 format is truly an erector set for fit. The parts available can creat a custom fit for a huge population.
Joe

krs
March 10, 2009, 10:34 AM
If the front of my Glock 19's trigger guard was actually the trigger I could use it. That front of the guard is right at 1 1/4" in front of the actual trigger. I'm saying that the G19 has a trigger that should be usable by anyone unless the person suffers a deformity.

When I grip the pistol and extend my trigger finger the trigger itself is exactly in line with the second knuckle from my fingertip and this is a 3rd gen unmodified Glock 19, a completely reliable double stacking high capacity pistol.

Coltman 77
March 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
Good suggestions here.

My wife's concealed carry piece is a Walther PPS and it's an impressive pistol. Accurate, reliable and the size of a PPK -- it might feel good to you...

If there is a range in your area that rents handguns, go there and shoot as many different kinds as you can.

There is really no substitute for actually shooting a certain pistol.

Good luck in your search. :)

Let us know what you decide to do.

papafloyd
March 10, 2009, 05:58 PM
OK, I got to handle a few pistols today!

S&W MP 9mm- very comfortable, felt good in my hand.
XD40-Felt really good also.
Sig 226R 9mm-wow!
Springfield 1911 .45acp-ergonomics were good, felt really heavy but held it after the XD, MP, and Sig. so that probably made it feel heavier than it is.
CZ75B .40-this gun felt great also
Para warthog .45acp-nice gun not what I was looking for.
Ruger SR9-felt ok but not as good as the MP
Glock 21-too big grip for my hand
Tarus .45ACP-didn't feel right to me

Anyway the S&W MP 9mm, or .40, XD40, CZ75B 9mm or .40, and Sig 226R 9mm, or .40 are all on my short list. The Sig kept drawing me back as it was a very nice gun, but I'm not sure if it's worth 250.00 than the MP or XD40. The CZ75B was very nice also and it kind of fit in between in the price range. While I have not made a decision yet I feel I can't go wrong with any of these guns, I am however still unsure of the caliber I want. One thing that might sway me is the availibility in my area, I visited 2 shops today and each shop did not have very many Semi-auto pistols. I might need to expand my search area a little!

Thanks again for all your help, Ken

TexasRedneck
March 10, 2009, 06:12 PM
Okay...now you've gotten the potentials whittled down a tad. Time to look for a friend/range to go out and actually put a few rounds down the tube. That should help you focus on a caliber. Next, look at the ones in that caliber you like, and test shoot all of them until you find one that jumps into your hand and MAKES you hit the 10-ring. Trust me - you'll KNOW when you find the right one!
If ya lived in the San Antonio area, I'd be happy to do it for ya, but...

Oh - and if you DO find a friend willing to do that, BRING YOUR OWN AMMO. That's one thing that DOES put me off, someone that "didn't buy any ammo, because I'm only going to shoot a few rounds of each". Tough luck - you're going to be shooting MY 600-1000 dollar gun! Alternatively, offer to buy some - if they decline (which most do, including myself) that's fine - you've made the offer. It's having had the courtesy of the offer that matters to most of us.

One guy that'll ALWAYS be able to go to the range w/me is a buddy who insists on bringing along a bottle of upper shelf whiskey (Makers Mark in my case) and giving it to me as we leave as a "Thank you". Unnecessary, but I'm touched by the sincerity.....and it IS fun to drink it!;)

drw2514
March 10, 2009, 07:45 PM
I have pretty small hands, too. I didn't so much have trouble reaching the trigger but I did have a problem with the beavertail bashing the heck out of my last thumb knuckle on recoil. I've found that with the proper grip the Walther P99 is pretty much perfect for me. I also don't have trouble with the 1911 or the Taurus 24/7... although I don't own one of those, my buddy just bought one. Fits my hand pretty good, but jammed a lot on the first range trip. I've got trouble with DA on revolvers, but my 642 is pretty easy to operate.

TexasRedneck
March 10, 2009, 08:55 PM
Know that a LOT of feed/jam problems are often created by lack of a firm grip on the gun....

chiselchst
March 11, 2009, 07:13 AM
Oh - and if you DO find a friend willing to do that, BRING YOUR OWN AMMO. That's one thing that DOES put me off, someone that "didn't buy any ammo, because I'm only going to shoot a few rounds of each". Tough luck - you're going to be shooting MY 600-1000 dollar gun! Alternatively, offer to buy some - if they decline (which most do, including myself) that's fine - you've made the offer. It's having had the courtesy of the offer that matters to most of us.

Excellent idea, Tex-Red. Only because he might be shooting some of my guns when we go, LOL.

Good luck Ken, just had to chime in here to harrass 'ya...:D

TexasRedneck
March 11, 2009, 07:38 AM
Oh....an' Ken, when shooting guns belongin' to a smart-aleck, it's a time-honored tradition that after squeezing off the last shot of the day, immediately throw the pistol down-range. :D

makarovnik
March 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
Kahr.

papafloyd
March 11, 2009, 06:22 PM
Wow, he'll share his Taco's with me but not his ammo! What kind of mindset is that? I was thinking if a guy invites you to shoot his guns he should also supply the ammo......I mean I wouldn't invite someone over for a BBQ and ask them to bring their own meat! But I digress I wouldn't think of not bringing along ammo.

Again I thank everyone for the suggestions, I'm trying to avoid too much excitement as I'm getting very anxious to purchase. And seeing Chiselchst purchase a P220 Equinox even makes me more anxious!

As you may have figured out Chiselchst and I know each other and work together, he has invited me to shoot a few of his guns. Hopefully I won't embarass myself!

Thanks again, Ken

mljdeckard
March 11, 2009, 06:46 PM
A full-size 1911 is a surprisingly good choice for people with small hands. The back strap and trigger can both be adjusted, and remember, at the time it was designed, the average height, and therefore hand-size of the average male was smaller than it is now.

jjohnson
March 11, 2009, 10:54 PM
Papa, I think you'd be well advised to find one of those gun shop/shooting range places where they rent you handguns. Most handguns are within the ergonomic range of most shooters. Even with large hands/long fingers you'd find some of them that "feel right" to you much more than others, and it's not always just a function of the size of you hands/fingers.

If you don't have a friend who has several handguns and would like to take you to a range (everybody should have friends like that), finding a place that rents them is almost as good. If you tell the guy behind the counter that you're looking for "fit," he should be happy to let you handle a few just to get an idea before you chose one to rent.

IF you do that - make SURE you don't "sweep" the guy. That is, don't wave it so the muzzle is ever pointed at him. That's very irritating to people who work with firearms. Good luck.

JDGray
March 12, 2009, 05:29 AM
The hands down best feeling gun I ever held was my Ruger P345! The thing fits small hands like a glove. Thats if a 1911s out of the question:) The Ruger is actually kinda cramped after the shot. My Wife and young Son, always liked it best;)
The P345 is also the hands down softest shooting 45, I ever owned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small Hands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!