I want a .45? Which .45? HELP!

PDA

fatfreddiescat
March 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
I own a P226. It shoots well, and so far has never encountered a problem. I like it. Its a smooth weapon. I'm thinking about adding a .45 to my collection. Would you offer opinions as to YOUR 'top pick' in a .45 semi-auto?

No off the wall, unheard of $400 OR $4000 winners, please. Just a solid, easy to find, not TOO expensive great performing, well-known and trusted handgun.

(price=between $500 and $1500).......
Thanks for helping...

I have a S&W Chief Special J-Frame .357 , a Beretta Tomcat .32, and the P226 .40S&W. The 45 will round out my handgun group.

If you enjoyed reading about "I want a .45? Which .45? HELP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psp7304
March 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
Glock 30SF or a 1911.

Ala Dan
March 8, 2009, 11:55 AM
More information needed, please~? Do you want a SA 1911, DA-SA such
as a SIG or H&K, striker fired such as a Glock, Springfield Armory, or S&W
M&P. Lots of choices out there, make sure you get the one that is right
for you; by test firing as many as possible~! :scrutiny: ;)

fatfreddiescat
March 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
probably a DA-SA, smooth and soft, edges cut to a minimum. My .357 J-frame is a little tough on my hand, and I know its the size and config of the weapon, but its a good weapon, and hits the target. I want a Cadillac.....something that barks over here and bites over there, without a lot of pain to the handler. And something that finds the target, and never needs anything but care and cleaning.

fatfreddiescat
March 8, 2009, 12:15 PM
everything seems to be compared to the SA 1911. Is it just simply the 'gold standard?' Which exact weapon are you (et al) referring to? There are compacts, ect. Which one would you recommend? Are they ALL single action only~have to be hand cocked to fire?

420Stainless
March 8, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm a big fan of commander sized 1911s and the Springfield XD. If you like your SIG and your hands are big enough, a .45ACP SIG seems like a good idea. There are so many good options - for me and my smallish hands, grip size plays a big part in what I like.

Birddog1911
March 8, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm a 1911 man, through and through. That said, I read an article about a new Sig that is a single action, but at the moment is only 9mm. I'm in trouble if they come out with a .45 in that thing. Maybe the SA XD would be something for you.

chris in va
March 8, 2009, 12:31 PM
You already have a Sig, why not get an older 220 for around $500?

Bill_Rights
March 8, 2009, 12:35 PM
Cat,

I recommend the FNH USA FNP-45. I have done so multiple times (search my posts). The FNP-45 meeets all your so-far-stated criteria and the price will be a pleasant surprize compared to SIG-Sauer pricing. This is a "service size" pistol, so not great for carry, but possible. 14-rnd double-stack mag std, 15-rnd available. Smooth recoil, butt-simple field strip, etc., etc., previous posts, etc.

BlindJustice
March 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
Which exact 1911? I have a S&W 1911 5" in Stainless STeel. Nice features with the novak sights, beavertail, etc. great customer service not
that my 1911 has any issues. S&W1911s run well out of the box for the
most part. Next one, will be a Colt '70 Series, probably a re-intro as a
project/build gun and it's pretty close to the ones I carried in
the USN on DUty/Watch.

Did you state what you want the .45 for? Range/Target,
HD/SD or ?

Randall

dispatch
March 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
Not sexy. Not cool. Doesn't cost enough money. Just reliably shoots whatever you feed it where you point it. That would be a Ruger P90.

stalkingbear
March 8, 2009, 01:50 PM
Why not just get a Kimber Gold Match 1911 and be done with it?

The Lone Haranguer
March 8, 2009, 02:16 PM
If you have and like a P226, how about a P220 as a companion? They fit in the same holsters, too.

Jason_G
March 8, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'd have to echo what some of the other members have said. If you already own a P226, then the P220 would make the most sense. Similar manual of arms, etc. They are great pistols IME.

Jason

chiselchst
March 8, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have to think you'd like the P220 also.

Having 3 Para 1911's already, my next addition I'm looking at a P220 (or possible an XD45)...

EHL
March 8, 2009, 02:46 PM
another vote for 1911, springfield or Kimber. Great way to get introduced into the world of 1911s.

walker944
March 8, 2009, 02:48 PM
"FatFreddiesCat" - That is hysterical!! I have thought about the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers in YEARS!!!!

markallen
March 8, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ruger P345.

metallic
March 8, 2009, 03:16 PM
+1 on the 1911 platform. Everyone should own one at least at some point.

augustino
March 8, 2009, 04:36 PM
I own a Glock model 30 and think it's best for what I wanted.

Reasons for deciding upon the Glock 30 are as follows;
1. Glock reliability. Glock tough.
2. Fits my hand well, very well.
3. 10 rounds in magazine + 1 in chamber = 11 - 45 caliber rounds!
4. Small for a 45 and suits CCW extremely well.
5. Price, very reasonable especially when compared to Sig; HK; 1911 and such.
6. Extremely accurate right off the dealers shelf.
7. Center of gravity & design make for small "kick" that's far more intense in 1911 and other 45 caliber firearms.

I can continue but hopefully my point is made. Glock model 30 all the way!

ArmedBear
March 8, 2009, 04:40 PM
A good 1911 if you want a gentleman's toy or a match gun.

An XD45 if you want a really practical defensive tool, but with less emotional attachment than you might feel for a fine 1911.

If you want to be different, I also like the CZ 97, but I can't say when I last saw one for sale.

I don't like the Glock grip angle. Some do, some don't. I don't. I also don't buy into their claims of having a complete safety system. If the things pointed well for me, I'd consider one. Still, the XD's grip safety does offer a good deal more assurance that the gun will fire in my hand, but not elsewhere, no matter what the Glock zealots may claim.

10-Ring
March 8, 2009, 05:35 PM
We all seem to migrate to a 45 & try several before we purchase our first -- personally, I like the HK USP, Colt & Glock -- YMMV. The HK was the first that really worked well for me, the Colt fits & works so well & the Glock. Plus for you, since you've already become accustomed to the manual of arms of the SIG, a P220 should be given a look to ;)

floydster
March 8, 2009, 05:45 PM
Get a:
Witness Elite Match in .45 ACP.
Match trigger, Match barrel, very accurate, fine pistol.

benzuncle
March 8, 2009, 06:39 PM
I own a P226. It shoots well, and so far has never encountered a problem. I like it. Its a smooth weapon.

You have already answered your own "I wonder..."
If you have a P226 and like the way it shoots and the location of the "controls", by all means try to find a P220 that you can lay your hands on. If it fits nicely, then look towards buying one, NIB, CPO or used. I have 3 Sigs and that is what appeals to me about each of them. I own a P220 Compact and recently discovered a P239/357sig that everyone else was overlooking because it wasn't a 9 or 40. (And there I was, looking specifially for a Sig chambered in 357sig.) And remember, even a NIB is used after just one shot.

Ala Dan
March 8, 2009, 07:13 PM
The single-action 1911 is the "gold standard" by which all other's are
judged~! With that said, I own four of 'em; from a budget priced G.I.
model from Springfield Armory, to a high end Les Baer Custom Thunder
Ranch Special. In betweenm I have a moderately priced Kimber Ultra
Carry II and a 5" Smith & Wesson, both in stainless steel. Also, I own
one of the best duty weapons ever invented, a West German SIG-
SAUER P220A; as well as a striker fired Springfield Armory XD service
model.

FWIW, for most applications the S&W 1911 shoots as well as the much
more expensive LB Thunder Ranch Special~! I do not care for the FNP-
.45 ACP as this is a HUGE firearm. The new H&K .45 would also make
for an excellent choice for personal concealment or duty use~! :scrutiny: ;)

Davionmaximus
March 8, 2009, 07:56 PM
I love my XD 45 compact. You can use a standard mag to convert it to a full size or use the ten rounder to make it the same size as a Glock 19
Ruger P345 is my favorite. Fits my hand....

Big Daddy Grim
March 8, 2009, 08:02 PM
P220 or Dan Wesson 1911 both of mine are great .45's.

7mmSTW
March 8, 2009, 09:50 PM
Being as nobody has suggested the new HK45... I have one and I love it. You can carry Cocked and Locked, DA SA, or convert to LEM... Feels great and holds 11 rds.

okienate
March 8, 2009, 09:57 PM
Of course the 220 is a fine piece. I also own a G30, a Kimber 1911 and recently added a basic, no frills Para Ordnance 1911 SSP.

If you are not interested in a single action only pistol they also make 1911 pattern handguns with a very light double action. (Actually, if you don't pay really close attention, you wouldn't know it was DA....)

The SSP I bought was used/abused (really banged up finish, rear sight was in need of repair, etc). After a little TLC, the thing really is a tack-driver.:what:

I paid $500 for mine and you can find them new for around $700. Not the most expensive and not the cheapest. I'd highly recommend any 1911 they build for a solid, basic 1911. There are some "blasphemous" things they've done to make it more accurate AND more reliable and I love it.

Good luck on your quest!:cool:

bondmid003
March 8, 2009, 09:59 PM
HK USP .45 I've got it in .40 and I love it

Bat22
March 8, 2009, 10:09 PM
One of my bros. has a SIG P220 so I can personally vouch for it.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=6

USAFrenegade
March 9, 2009, 02:04 AM
Any Springfield Armory .45 weather it be a 1911 or an XD. Good price great gun.

aran665
March 9, 2009, 02:32 AM
i'm a new guy here and having gone through a similar question of "i know i want a .45 but which one?" i decided on a 1911, that gave me a pretty wide array of mfctrs... and just a bit of background it doesn't hurt that i'd lusted after 1911's forever and just "never got to it".

anyway, to cut it before it's tl;dr, i settled on a taurus pt1911 blue parkerized, got it on thursday, went to the range saturday, ran 100 rds through and so far its a good gun, no malfunctions whatsoever... i may post a 500rd range report as i just didn't bring enough ammo this time around, but right now, its a good gun.

bottom line, 1911 would be my pick (oh wait it was :p)

robsc
March 9, 2009, 10:47 AM
SPringfield Loaded or Trophy Match or XDm.
HK USPc varient one.

mbr
March 9, 2009, 08:22 PM
I have a Glock G30sf and love it. Fits my medium hand/short fingers perfectly. $550 or so, mags are $25, tons of holster choices. Very reliable, proven design. 10 rounds of .45 in a very concealable package. More accurate than I am. I have the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit, which allows me to practice with much cheaper ammo. I have less in the gun, conversion kit, extra mags and a holster than what many 1911's cost by themselves!

jaysouth
March 9, 2009, 09:44 PM
I own a number of .45s. I really like 1911s because I am an old guy with lots of time on them. However, I cannot find anything wrong with Glocks, Sigs, or S&W M&Ps.

The .45 that I carry most these days is a Smith M&P 45c.

There are a lot of good guns out there and one of them is just right for you. Go to ranges and rent all that you can lay your hands on.

If you like the 226, you will love the sig 220 and used ones are selling cheap. You will also save money on new leather, not an insignificant cost these days.

chiselchst
March 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
I just ordered a P220 Equinox, so that's my take.

Have several Para's, was looking to try something new & different (and RELIABLE, LOL)... :D

sohcgt2
March 9, 2009, 11:02 PM
If you like your 226 try a 220 or if you want to move to 1911 group maybe a GSR. They will keep you in familiar territory.

ComradeBurg
March 10, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'd say go for a 1911 or an XD.

I say the 1911 because it's the base .45 which all others are generally judged against. The design is ancient but still works great. They are reliable, customizable, and a ton of fun to shoot. You can also get one for a reasonable price. You also have a lot of choices on what manufacturer to get. If you want the .45 for shooting and your collection I'd say get it.

And I say the XD because I find mine to be an exceptionally well designed gun that's gun to shoot. They also have a double stack magazine so they can hold more rounds. If you want something to carry with you on a day to day basis I say get this one.

BIGDAVE54
March 10, 2009, 05:21 AM
I had to run ... register... and post a reply. Last Monday night I bit the bullet and bought a FNP 45. I am very happy with it. It fires about any kind of .45 ammo with out a problem. I have been out shooting every day (evening) since I bought it.It is the smoothest shooting big caliber pistol I have ever shot. The accuracy is unbelievable. I believe at 25 yards on an indoor range in a good rest it could put a whole mag in to the same hole. I have already bought a Kydex holster,nylon shoulder rig,and a laser sight for it.I would follow BILL RIGHTS and my advice. You will be pleasantly surprised. BTW ...It comes with one 15 rd. mag...and TWO MORE 14 rd. mags in a hard case box. ..Certain models have a free "Shooters Pack" which is a BLADE TECH Kydex holster with mag pouches and a training barrel on special now.

If you enjoyed reading about "I want a .45? Which .45? HELP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!