Minimum 9mm case length?

PDA

meanmotorscooter
March 8, 2009, 02:39 PM
I reloading some 9x19 now on a single stage press. In the process of charging some cases I set one case next to another and it was visibly shorter. The shorter case is a Sellier & Bellot. It measured .716. I measured a handful of cases and most are close to .750. What's the minimum case length that I should keep before I consider a case garbage?

If you enjoyed reading about "Minimum 9mm case length?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 8, 2009, 02:49 PM
Max Case length is .754".
Trim Too length is .744".

.716" sounds like a .003" too long .380 ACP!

rc

lgbloader
March 8, 2009, 02:56 PM
I like to stay around 0.750 for my Lengths. What you have there is closer to a long 380 auto (9mm Kurz).

With the loads I use, I would just put that one in the scrap bucket.

LGB

lgbloader
March 8, 2009, 02:57 PM
Awe... RC, you beat me to it. I was in the middle of answering and my wife asked me to help her loosen a jar in the kitchen.

LGB

bullseye308
March 8, 2009, 04:00 PM
Sounds like someone trimmed a 9mm down to use in a 380. I have run into it before a few times and would not think it is a good idea to do that. Crush it with vice grips and chuck it in the scrap bucket. Now it can't be confused with good brass.

rcmodel
March 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
You can't trim a 9mm down to use in a .380 ACP. They are much larger at the case rim.

What you can do is trim them down to use in a 9x18mm MAK.

Case length on them is .713" and the head size is basically the same.

rc

meanmotorscooter
March 8, 2009, 04:43 PM
Yea, weird. It says 9mm on the headstamp. I'll chuck it. I went through all the other S&B brass in the batch I bought and they were all good.

Mal H
March 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm curious as to what the headstamp says. Is it a 9mm Luger? Is it the same as any other S&B cases you have? It could be a single error in that lot of brass.

As rcmodel says, it can't be a .380 as they are much smaller (relatively) in all outside dimensions.

[Edit]
mms posted as I was looking at dimensions and composing. ;)

rcmodel
March 8, 2009, 04:55 PM
Was this used brass you got somewhere?

If so, it is a 9mm someone trimmed to use for a 9mm MAK pistol.

People do that for some reason, and as you found out, it is a royal PITA when you find them mixed in with 9mm range brass.

rc

RandyP
March 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
Bear in mind that S&B .380 ammo is headstamped 9mm Br. C. (Browning Court)

bullseye308
March 8, 2009, 08:18 PM
Looking at some I have found, the headstamp says 9mm M on it. Guess that is a makarov. Ooops. :(

meanmotorscooter
March 8, 2009, 08:25 PM
It says S&B 9mmM. I guess it's 9mm Mak

Mal H
March 8, 2009, 08:44 PM
Amazing what one single little character makes, eh? As you surmise, that is a standard 9mm Mak case that got picked up with the regular 9mm Luger cases. No trimming was involved.

If you enjoyed reading about "Minimum 9mm case length?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!