ok I messed up

PDA

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 06:34 PM
I recently bedded and floated my model 7 predator. bedding job looked great. took it to the range and my 1 moa groups turned into 3 moa groups. I think floating it might not of been such a good idea.

Anyone bed a barrel channel on a fluted barrel before?

Any suggestions?

Think I might just bite the bullet and buy a new stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "ok I messed up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Supertac45
March 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'd check the torque on the bolts for the action and proper sequence of tightening them first.

SwampWolf
March 8, 2009, 06:45 PM
How did it shoot before you "bedded and floated?"

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 06:59 PM
It shot right at 1 moa sometimes just a little more. The factory stock had one of those remington bump stops on it pressing on the barrel.

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 07:00 PM
You tighten the front bolt first and then the rear bolt right?

rcmodel
March 8, 2009, 07:03 PM
Dang! Another "Shotgun" post.
(Hitting two forums with one shot!)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5406334&postcount=3

rc

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 07:05 PM
yeah trying to set a trot line out to catch all the input I can.

CB900F
March 8, 2009, 07:54 PM
Onehit;

Rather than trying to re-bed the barrel, try finding a replacement "bump" & install it near the front of the stock. Torque the hold-down bolts to spec & shoot. If it's still off, shave & shoot again. Repeat as necessary to either find accuracy or dump an inexpensive little dot of hard rubber. Much easier and cheaper than trying to re-bed the barrel. The commercial version is known as a "Bug-Hole Tuner" I believe.

900F

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 07:59 PM
That might help I did wedge some cardboard under the barrel at the range with little results. may have been too thick.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 8, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, you could "re-pressure-bed" using wax paper folded over several times or other method.

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
but will this work for a synthetic stock? Most of the stuff I've seen was done to a wood stock

Ol` Joe
March 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
I`ve used strips of plastic milk bottle under the barrel at the forearm adding one at a time until I knew if the rifle was improving or not. Once I found a thickness the rifle liked I put a 2nd pile 1/2" behind it and small dab of bedding between them. When the plastic is removed the bedding remains as a "bump" of the wanted thickness. It sounds harder then it is in practice.

onehitwonder
March 8, 2009, 08:47 PM
that sounds like a good idea. I think I would have to put clay in the flutes though so that it didn't lock into the epoxy. how do you keep it from leaking past the strips?

If you enjoyed reading about "ok I messed up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!