Best non-custom 1911 for the $

PDA

Timradcliffe345
March 8, 2009, 07:44 PM
What non-custom shop 1911 is the best bang for the buck? I am looking for an uber reliable 1911. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best non-custom 1911 for the $" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kentucky_smith
March 8, 2009, 08:16 PM
Rock Island
STI
Colt

Throwingdown
March 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
A million choices - first you have to define how many bucks.
For the under 700.00 range, go with a springfield or a Colt 1991
Over 1K to 2K - Les Baer
2K and up - Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk.

Have read mixed reviews on the Sig. 45ACP style and the S&W.

Had a few Kimbers myself, bad luck with the ones I had.

Lone_Gunman
March 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
Smith and Wesson, by far. They are more likely to be reliable out of the box than any other brand, and if you do have a problem, they actually have a customer service dept that can fix your problem.

rbernie
March 8, 2009, 08:31 PM
My basic $700 Kimber Custom II has been far more satisfying than any of my other Colt, Springfield, or Para 1911s.

I swore off Kimbers a number of years ago, but within the last 18 months have gotten several and I am very pleased with them all. No more Series II safety issues, and so far their reliability has been 100% over several thousand rounds each.

Jason_G
March 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
Dan Wesson. Bar none IMHO.

Jason

slabuda
March 8, 2009, 08:56 PM
Best non custom 1911 for the $$
Dan Wesson IMO I did a bunch of looking/research and thats what I got.
Tight, accurate, reliable.

HexHead
March 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
A million choices - first you have to define how many bucks.
For the under 700.00 range, go with a springfield or a Colt 1991
Over 1K to 2K - Les Baer

What happened to the $700-1000 range? Id go with a Colt.

In the $500-600 range, the new Para GI Expert looks promising.

Big Daddy Grim
March 8, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cheap but good Para GI and the Taurus PT 1911 not the best by far but for the money damn hard to beat.

Geno
March 8, 2009, 09:36 PM
In alphabetic order:

Colt :rolleyes: <<You all saw that coming>>
Kimber "Custom" :eek: <<Did I admit that?!>>
Rock Island :o <<Must...resist...urge...to...buy>>

Geno

PT1911
March 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
taurus PT1911... no doubt....!!!

bannockburn
March 8, 2009, 10:52 PM
You would be hard pressed to overlook the RIA Tactical, which I have seen going for $489. I did some customizing on a friends RIA and was impressed by the overall fit and finish of the gun, and even more impressed by what he paid for it.

FM12
March 9, 2009, 12:11 AM
Go to www.olyarms.com and look at their 1911s. VERY nice.

Nero_Atrum
March 9, 2009, 12:16 AM
I got another vote for Dan Wesson here.

snakeman
March 9, 2009, 12:18 AM
springfield mil-spec

MICHAEL T
March 9, 2009, 02:06 AM
Dan Wesson then Colt

Thomas Garrett
March 9, 2009, 08:42 AM
RIA Tactical, or the Springfield Mil-Spec. The RIA is better because of the "custom" standard additions.

broken
March 9, 2009, 10:38 AM
i would look for a 500.00 doller norinco on gunbroker,people go nuts bidding on these,hard to find sometimes,but use the buy it now button.i just whacked my 100th post,im a senoir member now"cool".

Taffnevy
March 9, 2009, 10:45 AM
STI Trojan

robctwo
March 9, 2009, 11:15 AM
I own a SA Black Stainless Loaded and a S&W1911PD Commander with CT laser grips. I liked the S&W trigger much better out of the box. I think Dan Wesson is every bit as good, if not better at this price point.

At the lower end I have no experience.

I own an Ed Brown Exec. Target and 2 Les Baer PIIs, one in .45 and one in 9mm. For me these are more value than the $900 guns. Not everyone wants to put that much money into a pistol, even though you will put many times that amount into ammunition if you shoot much. If you don't shoot much, it doesn't matter.

Mainsail
March 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
Sig GSR. The rest are junk. :rolleyes:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/14db6eae-404b-4f65-b0d7-36a4b65b89f8.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/user/49c894c6-8578-4b14-81fa-dbc906ede7e4.jpg

JDGray
March 9, 2009, 12:40 PM
My S&W SC Commander, was my favorite. Paid 600.00 used, never missed a beat, accurate, tight, only negative is the ejected cases would hit my head once in awhile. I'm sure a smith could have tweeked it, but it had what felt like a 20+ lb recoil spring in it, so that may have contributed:)

Ala Dan
March 9, 2009, 12:49 PM
Smith & Wesson product code #108282

Browns Fan
March 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
My current 1911 (I've had a few), and my favorite is the Detonics 9-11-01. I will say that if I didnt get the Detonics, my next choice would be Dan Wesson!

azmtnbikerxdm
March 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
I would vote for a Kimber Custom II. I got mine for $650 out the door and have had no problems with it so far.(1000 rds through it now)

MT GUNNY
March 9, 2009, 02:13 PM
+1 on Smith & Wesson product code #108282

Techsan
March 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
Look at the Dan Wesson models if you can spend $1K. The CBOB is very popular, although you may have a hard time locating one. Good luck with your search!

Cloudpeak
March 9, 2009, 05:17 PM
Of the three I now own I'd rate the Dan Wesson CBOB first, the STI 9mm Trojan a close second and the Springfield SS Target (45) third. The fit and finish rating would be the same. Both my CBOB and STI have always been 100%. Initially, I had some FTF problems on the Springfield but this problem was solved by lessening the tension on the extractor and changing from a Lee 200 SWC to the Lyman 200 SWC. It always fired the 200 gr SWC's from Penns bullets 100%. Just had problems with the Lee.

Cloudpeak

mljdeckard
March 9, 2009, 05:21 PM
I shot and carried many guns before I came back to a Kimber Custom II, and I use it for everything, I don't ever see myself switching regardless of price.

claiborne
March 9, 2009, 05:58 PM
1911's purchased by me in order.
S&W Target .45
Springfield mil-spec loaded .45
Springfield mil-spec 38 super
Dan Wesson Pointman 7 .45
Springfield mil-spec .45

The S&W wouldn't chamber or fire much of anything. It was sold.
My Dan Wesson needed work out of the box just to feed correctly., it is now a 460 Rowland.
Only the mil-specs have chambered and fired all ammo tried.
I have worked (added and deleted parts), over my mil-spec loaded a few times and the standard mil-spec I am saving for my boy who is just 2 years old now.
The 38 super mil-spec was a gift to my Pop.
My vote is a SA mil-spec of some kind.

Supertac45
March 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
Les Baer.

Damon555
March 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
Of all the 1911's I've shot nothing comes close (as far as a factory gun in your price range) to the Kimbers. In my opinion it has the best factory trigger bar none.

That's just my opinion though and it's worth what ya paid for it........

mongo4567
March 9, 2009, 09:16 PM
Kimber Custom

benderx4
March 9, 2009, 09:17 PM
Dan Wesson PM7

sohcgt2
March 9, 2009, 11:58 PM
C'mon guys non custom, bang for the buck, and I saw Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Smith & Weson, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Sig GSR, STI Trojan, These are all nice guns but hardly fall into bang for the buck category. I've heard good things about the Taurus PT1911, handled it and it feels solid. Springfield Mil-Spec GI series is solid but a little high for what you get. RIA if you can find one are very inexpensive. Ive never held one so I can't speak to their quality. Its a 100 year old design so functional reliability should be available for less than $600 and those three are. That first group all list over $1000 and some close to $3000 or more depending on options. Bang for the Buck has to come at a price that is competitive with polymer pistols. The true bang for the buck is probably the Ruger P345 that lists for $550 and will go out the door at your local dealer for around $525 w/a box of ammo.

theswimmer
March 10, 2009, 12:16 AM
Thompson ,late 80's production.
Still the best 1911 out of the box I have ever picked up. You could spend more, but?

Oh yeah,
$318.00 in '87'

weisse52
March 10, 2009, 01:51 AM
A Colt is always the right answer!!

A Norinco is nice when you can find them.

mljdeckard
March 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
I bought my Kimber for $608, NIB.

Damon555
March 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
A Kimber is a lot of bang for his buck.....They can be had for much less than a grand.

DevilDog0402
March 10, 2009, 06:48 PM
My vote goes to the Springfield Loaded Models.

sohcgt2
March 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
mljdeckard, damon555, I did not intend to get anyones dander up. If you can buy Kimbers as inexpensively as you say then I agree, that certainly qualifies in my mind as bang for the buck. They are not available in my area at those prices. In fact $608 here will limit you to GI models, Taurus, Asian mfg guns, or used.

Jason_G
March 10, 2009, 10:32 PM
C'mon guys non custom, bang for the buck, and I saw Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Smith & Weson, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Sig GSR, STI Trojan, These are all nice guns but hardly fall into bang for the buck category. I've heard good things about the Taurus PT1911, handled it and it feels solid. Springfield Mil-Spec GI series is solid but a little high for what you get. RIA if you can find one are very inexpensive. Ive never held one so I can't speak to their quality. Its a 100 year old design so functional reliability should be available for less than $600 and those three are. That first group all list over $1000 and some close to $3000 or more depending on options. Bang for the Buck has to come at a price that is competitive with polymer pistols.

Maybe in your mind, but if a company can sell steel as cheaply as plastic, then what does that lead one to suspect about the quality of the steel and/or workmanship behind the pistol? Remember, "cheap" does not equal "value".

If all you are looking for is a pistol that goes bang most of the time, then there are plenty of cheap pistols that do that, assuming you are are okay with sacrificing fit and finish, metallurgy, longevity, accuracy, reliability, and just about anything else you would want in a pistol.

There are some real values out there, but not too many in the price range you are talking about.

JMHO.

Jason

feudalson
March 10, 2009, 10:35 PM
pt1911

cyclopsgrips
March 11, 2009, 12:43 AM
probably the best 1911 deal on the planet-on gunbroker the new taurus 1911 with rail for 589 plus shipping,or vouch for the alloy framed one for 6 something.

Hostile Amish
March 11, 2009, 01:05 AM
Smith and Wesson, they cost a bit more than some other 1911's but are usually on the low end of the price scale. They are also very reliable, look very nice, and use excellent steel.

Sapper771
March 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
-STI Trojan(not custom), excellent pistol for the money ($900-$1000).
-Wilson Combat CQB (was custom, but still a good bang for the buck $$$$)
- Colt Combat Elite(not custom, but it worked well).
-No Kimbers( poor QC , Poor customer service, a lot of money on shipping it back to them, just my 2 cents of experience).

mr2guru
March 11, 2009, 10:22 AM
Dan Wesson

str8shuter
March 11, 2009, 10:38 AM
A note on the STI Spartans, With STI on the frame you expect quality, well I have read some posts about quality being what you pay for, guess what guys, the STI Spartan is the same gun as the Armscor and the Rock Island Tactical.
That means that a lot of you are paying for the name, not the quality. If you buy the STI you are paying double for the same gun from Armscor. That should tell you 2 things. 1. the quality of the Armscor products is top notch.(Armscor makes the RIA and the Spartan) 2. Just because you pay more does not mean you are getting better quality. If you want quality for price, check out the Armscor, the Rock Island Tactical, or the Taurus PT 1911. I have at least 1 example of all of these pistols and can tell you that my favorite of them all is a RIA. In order of value in my opinion, best value is the Rock Island Tactical, and very close to that is the Taurus.

skeeter_08
March 11, 2009, 01:54 PM
The Springfield Loaded I have now has a better trigger pull out of the box than the SW1911 I used to have (due to the FPB), but my gunsmith fixed the trigger pull on that SW so it broke like a glass rod. But the level of workmanship on the SW was noticeably better than the Springer; wish I still had that SW!

Quack
March 11, 2009, 07:12 PM
RIA Tactical

or

STI Spartan.
Frame & slide by Armscor, fitting and everthing else STI.

Jason_G
March 11, 2009, 08:32 PM
A note on the STI Spartans, With STI on the frame you expect quality, well I have read some posts about quality being what you pay for, guess what guys, the STI Spartan is the same gun as the Armscor and the Rock Island Tactical.
That means that a lot of you are paying for the name, not the quality. If you buy the STI you are paying double for the same gun from Armscor. That should tell you 2 things. 1. the quality of the Armscor products is top notch.(Armscor makes the RIA and the Spartan) 2. Just because you pay more does not mean you are getting better quality. If you want quality for price, check out the Armscor, the Rock Island Tactical, or the Taurus PT 1911. I have at least 1 example of all of these pistols and can tell you that my favorite of them all is a RIA. In order of value in my opinion, best value is the Rock Island Tactical, and very close to that is the Taurus.

The STI Spartan is not the same pistol as the Armscor imports.

Jason

samurai
March 11, 2009, 08:50 PM
Dan Wesson

camacho
March 11, 2009, 09:14 PM
Another vote for the Springer Mil-Spec

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/32592.jpg

For $565 delivered from Buds, hard to beat it.

jjohnson
March 11, 2009, 09:24 PM
I like mine. WWII surplus made by Ithica, liberated by a Marine right after the Big One.

For a new one - I'd be tempted to buy the Taurus in stainless, since it has many custom features that would put it into a higher price range if added individually. I don't buy new S&Ws anymore out of principle - since they adopted the Hillary Hole :barf: but I'd go for one of the several US-made listed (like Baer) if price weren't important.

f4t9r
March 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
Rock Island Tactical !!!!

sohcgt2
March 12, 2009, 01:09 AM
Jason G wrote Maybe in your mind, but if a company can sell steel as cheaply as plastic, then what does that lead one to suspect about the quality of the steel and/or workmanship behind the pistol? Remember, "cheap" does not equal "value".

If all you are looking for is a pistol that goes bang most of the time, then there are plenty of cheap pistols that do that, assuming you are are okay with sacrificing fit and finish, metallurgy, longevity, accuracy, reliability, and just about anything else you would want in a pistol.

There are some real values out there, but not too many in the price range you are talking about.

This is my point, tooling that was designed 100 years ago has long since paid for itself. The machines that complete the work are computerized. Production cost is no more than the plastic guns and may be less (Ruger makes steel guns inexpensively). I do not equate cheap with value, but if a Taurus PT1911 is under $600 and has a beveled mag well, Heinie sights, lowered ejection port, beavertail grip safety, skeletonized trigger and hammer, all hand fitted with machined parts. There are no injection molded parts on the Taurus. This is my basis for my opinion that it has the most bang for the buck. Its finish quality may not be as high as some others but life is not a fashion show. I don't think a BG is going to care if the bullet came from an ugly gun or a pretty one.

JMHO

I rechecked my information and I was incorrect in stating that the Taurus is free from MIM parts, this negates my argument in favor hand fitted macined parts. Taurus does hand fit frames and slides to match level tolerances.

SavageMOA
March 12, 2009, 01:14 AM
Rock Island Armory for sure. I'm ordering mine ASAP after shooting my friends several times.

rbernie
March 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
This is my point, tooling that was designed 100 years ago has long since paid for itself. The machines that complete the work are computerized. Production cost is no more than the plastic guns and may be less (Ruger makes steel guns inexpensively).Whether driven by computerised robot or mechanical means, tooling wears out and requires constant refurbishment and replacement. Nobody is making 1911s on tooling that is 5 yrds old, much less 100 years old. The jigs may be old, but the actual tooling is quite consumable. Depending on the product cycle, I would expect the tooling to be removed and dressed quite frequently and replaced outright several times a year.

A design that is as mill-intensive as a 1911 is far harder to make than, say, a Ruger P90 or S&W M&P that are designed to be cast or stamped rather than milled.

There are no injection molded parts on the Taurus.As far as I know, this is not true. One of the ways that Kimber and Taurus and others are keeping prices down is by using MIM parts. Half of the Wilson and McCormick aftermarket bits are MIM, too.

I'n not knocking the Taurus PT1911 - I'm just pointing out holes in the argument.

I think that this thread is relatively subjective; there is no metric for 'best bang for the buck'. Certainly, the description will favor the low-cost 1911s even if they prove less robust than, say, a Colt or Kimber or other.

I define best bang for the buck in terms of how many generations of my family will get to use it. Against that yardstick, the Taurus and the SAM/Armscor/Rock Island/Daly pistols are unknown quantities.

Mainsail
March 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
Rock Island Armory for sure. I'm ordering mine ASAP after shooting my friends several times.

Ok, read that again. Did you really shoot your friends several times?

;)

Rinspeed
March 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
Les Baer.

Furncliff
March 12, 2009, 02:07 PM
RIA... if you want to pay double (which is what you'll pay to get a pistol that is significantly better), the used Baer.

Fred40
March 12, 2009, 02:16 PM
Another vote for the Springfield Mil-Spec. Probably as reliable as they come (Since we're talking 1911's).

I have a Springfield Loaded Target and love it.....but that's a custom gun.

Quack
March 12, 2009, 06:02 PM
Loaded's are production guns.

jaysouth
March 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sti Trojan

GLI45
March 13, 2009, 11:37 PM
Ditto jaysouth - STI Trojan for $1k. Smooth and accurate.

ajoker31
March 14, 2009, 12:28 AM
Dan Wesson

Timradcliffe345
March 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
I define best bang for the buck in terms of how many generations of my family will get to use it. Against that yardstick, the Taurus and the SAM/Armscor/Rock Island/Daly pistols are unknown quantities.

What manufacturer is SAM? Thanks.

rbernie
March 14, 2009, 05:54 PM
What manufacturer is SAMThe one that makes:SAM/Armscor/Rock Island/Daly That's why I lumped them together. It's a Philipino 1911 marketed under the name 'SHOOTERS ARMS MANUFACTURING' and imported by CAI and others.

Aquila
March 14, 2009, 08:52 PM
Springfield Armory TRP

BadKarma1979
March 14, 2009, 09:00 PM
Going cheaper I liked my Springfield Mil Spec, but I ended up selling it in favor fo the Kimber Warrior, which I LOVE.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/mjkulaga/Misc/SNC00007.jpg

Taurus_9mm
March 14, 2009, 09:43 PM
IMO, the Taurus PT1911.

powwowell
March 14, 2009, 10:20 PM
Another nod for the RIA Tactical. I got one after getting and shooting the RIA GI model for a couple of years. The best value in firearms.

rbernie
March 14, 2009, 11:05 PM
I bought my last Colt Series 80 1991 for $525 lightly used. That's RIA Tactical and Springfield MilSpec and Para GI territory. (And yes - I have owned and shot all of the above.)

Take each of them apart, and you'll appreciate the Colt far more than the others - even the Springfield.

I'm not knocking the RIA or Taurus - just pointing out that Colt does a better job of holding to spec and (in most cases) using a higher quality material.

If I had to grab ONE of my 1911s and was told that it had to defend my family RIGHT NOW - I'd pick the Colt unquestionably.

Last gunshow, I saw at least three vendors selling new 1991s for less than $750.

Timradcliffe345
March 14, 2009, 11:22 PM
Last gunshow, I saw at least three vendors selling new 1991s for less than $750.

Were these Colts? If so, what models?

What do you think of Kimbers, do they use any MIM technology?

rbernie
March 15, 2009, 01:06 AM
Yes, they were Colt 1991 Series 80s.

Kimber uses lots of MIM (as do most manufacturers) but they seem to have worked out any issues with that. I have several recent-production Kimbers that have been 100% so far.

Ambulance_Driver
March 15, 2009, 01:12 AM
Howdy folks! New to the forums, but I'll weigh in here.

The original poster asked for "bang for the buck." While you can't put a price tag on absolute reliability, my High Standard Crusader has digested everything I've fed it for close to 1000 rounds now, with nary a hitch.

And at roughly $450, it definitely fits the "bang for the buck" category. Tight, accurate and reliable, thus far, and you can't beat that price.

TAG2501
March 16, 2009, 12:17 AM
best buy for the performance is RIA tactical for <$500.

after that its a horse race. Taurus and everyone else's low end.

Not much sense comparing after that until you get around $1k.

Avoid paying for the "name"

model of 1905
March 16, 2009, 12:57 AM
Any Dan Wesson 1911, hands down winner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best non-custom 1911 for the $" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!