Enlarging flash holes...how to do it?

PDA

Bacchus
October 6, 2003, 09:23 AM
I know that there have been numerous threads about using rubber bullets for low cost practice. For revolvers, the instructions mention enlarging the flash holes to prevent primer setback. What does that mean and how do you do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Enlarging flash holes...how to do it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
October 6, 2003, 09:49 AM
Just drill the flash hole larger. Leave enough of a "ledge" to seat the new primers on. Or you can buy and shoot up some Win-Clean ammo. Their flash holes are already large.

Good Luck...

Joe

Sheldon
October 6, 2003, 09:54 AM
With the standard sized flash hole and the explosive force of the primer, firing the primer off will cause the primer to actually back out of the case......setback (in the case of your rubber bullets it will cause the cyclinder of a wheelgun to bind right away). This normally occurs, but with a normal powder charge, the case will be forced back when the main powder charge ignites and basically reseat the primer against the breach of the slide.

I believe the instruction included with them rubber bullets will tell you to use a specified sized drill bit and to just drill the flash hole bigger......I don't know what sized drill though. That way the full force of the primer blast will go thru the bigger flash hole unimpeeded to push the rubber/plastic bullet out the muzzle.

Bacchus
October 6, 2003, 10:49 AM
That makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot for the information.

Follow up questions: I'm looking at Midway's latest catalog and they list "X-Ring" rubber bullets and bullets by Speer. They also have plastic cases available from Speer, too. What are the pros/cons of using regular brass vs. the plastic cases (excluding cost of the plastic cases)?

Black Snowman
October 6, 2003, 11:17 AM
One big advantage of the plastic cases is that you won't confuse it with "real" ammo. That's just about worth the money right there.

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2003, 10:02 PM
One big advantage of the plastic cases is that you won't confuse it with "real" ammo. That's just about worth the money right there.

Ooops!

If you enjoyed reading about "Enlarging flash holes...how to do it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!