An ID project for you surplus buffs

PDA

MountainBear
March 9, 2009, 02:32 AM
Interesting rifle. My best guess is a Mauser M71/84, but the cocking piece does not seem correct. No markings to speak of, even out of the stock. If someone could ID this, perhaps with a photo to support it, I would appreciate it. If I had Olsens mauser book, I'd do it myself. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "An ID project for you surplus buffs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plain Old Bill
March 9, 2009, 08:06 AM
Looks like a Japanese Type I to me. Tried to blow up the pics but didn't work on my computer...any idea of the bore size? The Type I is 6.5 mm.....

Jim Watson
March 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
It is certainly NOT a 71-84 Mauser.

I agree with Bill that it is a Type I - a 6.5 Jap on a Carcano action with Mauser magazine.
Many pictures and discussion at
http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/typeipix.htm
which comments that the Type I has few markings anywhere and none in Japanese.

MountainBear
March 9, 2009, 12:26 PM
I couldn't find my calipers to check the bore the other day, but it seems like you guys nailed it. I knew someone would know. After three or four moves in the last several years, I have no idea where half my books are...

Thanks.

.45Guy
March 10, 2009, 05:25 AM
Yep, that is a Tipo 1 made on contract for the imperial navy. One of the few on my wish list.

If you enjoyed reading about "An ID project for you surplus buffs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!