Thank you mods. (removal of T F)

PDA

larry_minn
March 9, 2009, 06:17 PM
I had the displeasure of reading a couple of his posts. (the first one about not liking guns I assumed was sarcasm) I had not bothered to look at user name. When I saw it I tried to report (you had already removed it) and I saw other (much worse subject lines) but you already got rid of the trash before I could even start to report it.
Thank you for your quick work to remove the garbage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thank you mods. (removal of T F)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
March 9, 2009, 06:20 PM
It was odd to see the title, held my mouse cursor over the thread title and saw the OP, then noticed the member name. I knew is was going nowhere fast. Clicked on it to type IBTL, and poof!! It was gone!!

hso
March 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
We would rather that members hit the http://thehighroad.org/images/buttons/report.gif instead of IBTL.

We really do want to hear "Cleanup on aisle 6" instead of just pointing at the carnage and going on.

BTW, this guy is a repeat offender that trolls back in just to be petty and pathetic. Hitting that red triangle may get him out the door even faster next time.

Mal H
March 9, 2009, 07:57 PM
In fact, we would rather that members never post IBTL!

WardenWolf
March 9, 2009, 09:36 PM
Mal H, I'm with you. I used to moderate a forum with several thousand active users, most of them teenagers. The IBTL craze hit hard and fast. And so did we. We labeled it as spam, and hit hard and fast at anyone who posted it. A simple "Reported" by the first person to notice and report it is beneficial, though. This lets others know it's already been reported so forum staff are not inundated with a deluge of reports. It also lets them know that there's no need to reply to the thread.

Mal H
March 9, 2009, 09:43 PM
An excellent idea - first member to report a post should create a post to let other know it's been reported.

I didn't count them, but I think we got at least 10 reports for the subject of this thread.

Don't get me wrong, we appreciate each and every one of them, but with the method suggested by Mike, only one would be necessary.

HoosierQ
March 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry...what is IBTL?

larry_minn
March 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
It is one of the 300 variations of "In Before The Lock" people use. For some reason some consider it a "achievement" to post that before a thread is locked (or in this case) totally removed. I am not sure why.

WardenWolf
March 10, 2009, 04:52 AM
I'm sorry...what is IBTL?

In Before The Lock. It's a spam method of upping your post count by posting in a thread you believe to be doomed with nothing beneficial and simply "IBTL" or a derivative thereof. You're not contributing anything to the thread, you're not benefitting anyone. All you're doing is upping your post count and bumping a bad thread needlessly by posting spam. It's childish, it's stupid. Post count doesn't mean anything in the long term. It's the quality of your posts that matter, not the quantity.

bikerdoc
March 10, 2009, 09:14 AM
Mike great idea. Im on board.

Mal, any way we can get a sticky or an announcement that this is new policy?

Unless he is banned, Im sure the reportee will start some stuff with the reporter, cool, bring it on. Real members will reply in polite, firm, logical, manner that will educate the reportee. If he continues to be a knucklehead, out he goes!!!

HoosierQ
March 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks. Learn something new every day here.

WNTFW
March 10, 2009, 07:16 PM
I missed the whole thing which is an indication of Good Mods and Good Members. This is why THR is my go to site for guns. I know you Mods get a lot of critics here due to "Censorship", thread locks & such.

I'm a happy member. I think not causing problems is step 1. Not feeding trolls is probably step 2.

Thanks,
WNTFW

larry_minn
March 10, 2009, 07:40 PM
It's the quality of your posts that matter, not the quantity.

Don't feel bad just because I have a dozen posts more then you. :) :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Thank you mods. (removal of T F)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!