Forschner cimeter

PDA

rayman
March 9, 2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone have anything positve/negative to say about this knife? I think I'm tired of my fake stag handled schrade fillet knife. This weekend I caught a bunch snapper that were a little big for the schrade. I need a bigger serious fillet knife. Something that'll handle tuna & mahi mahi. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Forschner cimeter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rayman
March 18, 2009, 01:58 PM
I guess no THR members knows what a forschner is. Amazon sent it last week. Luckily I got a few more bigger snapper. This thing filleted through them like butter. Next is the bull mahi mahi test this summer when the water heats up. OH MY GOD THIS IS A SHARP KNIFE. Two thumbs up, I myself recommend this knife for heavy fillet jobs.

Jason_G
March 18, 2009, 11:23 PM
I guess no THR members knows what a forschner is.

Guilty.

I have never seen that knife before. How big is it? Tough to determine scale from that picture. FWIW, Victorinox makes some great cutlery, especially their kitchen knives. I would assume that this one would be no different.

Jason

blkbrd666
March 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
I guess no THR members knows what a forschner is.

Yeah, I thought I was going to see some wood bits and someone had a spelling problem.

rayman
March 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
It's "14 long. It takes the skin off the fish really well too. From the Swiss Army Knife people. Pretty cool huh.

shoey
March 19, 2009, 10:45 AM
Forschner makes great knives. I have their chefs knife as does my chef. It got used every day for about 8 months and no problems. His has been used so long the handle is worn smooth. Only reason it doesnt get used as much anymore is because I've started upgrading to Global knives. But my Forschner still gets used on the hot line since I'm much rougher on knives there and would rather drop my $25 Forschner than my $100 Global.

The key with Forschner knives is to NEVER let them get dull. Keep a good steel on hand and once they start to lose their touch, put them to the steel. The edge holds incredibly well due to the blade being so hard. By the same reason, it is incredibly hard to sharpen the thing once its gotten too dull.. A couple swipes on a good steel and mine is so sharp I can rock it on a cutting board without it sticking.

shoey
March 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm planning on getting one myself once I find a few extra dollars. I just got the position of butcher and would like to have my own butchering knives rather than the house knives. I would reccomend Forschner to anyone...as long as you dont let it get dull. Once dull, it takes a lot of stone time to get the edge back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Forschner cimeter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!