Shooting on private property

PDA

Howser87
March 10, 2009, 02:56 AM
Coming from the great state of CA I have never given the idea any thought, assumed it was illegal because gunshots in my area were immediately followed by sirens in most cases.

Question is this, if you own property and you can setup your own little gun range is there any federal law that forbids it? I am now living in Oklahoma and the area I am in is 50+ miles from the nearest range, but I enjoy shooting and want to stay sharp.

Also, anyone near McAlester know of a range around here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting on private property" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAB
March 10, 2009, 03:00 AM
there is no federal law that forbids it. Chances are good that state and local laws will have restrictions on it.

Thingster
March 10, 2009, 04:25 AM
Check local regs. For the most part, if you aren't within city limits you're fine.

Look for discharge of arms laws.

Duke of Doubt
March 10, 2009, 04:42 AM
Definitely state and local. Look to state law for general rules such as no discharge within a certain distance (say, 100 yards) from a dwelling or within, say, 10 feet from a public road, and look to state law for geographically specific rules, such as no-discharge zones (typically around cities and nervous towns).

woof
March 10, 2009, 09:43 AM
I think here it is not within 100 yds of any dwelling or any public road. That rules out a lot of sizeable properties. Even then you can be charged with disturbing the peace if there are complaints. I think realistically, if you have the ok of anyone around you that can hear the shots you are ok. Talk to them, tell them about the safety measures you plan and that it will never be too early or too late.

Hungry Seagull
March 10, 2009, 10:42 AM
In my area people shoot anyway. Generally they are decent about it and do it in the afternoon or something. But we have discharge laws along with noise laws.

Shoot something at 3 am in the morning everyone is going to be falling out of bed and arming up while the dogs go crazy everywhere.

wyocarp
March 10, 2009, 11:18 AM
In Wyoming, not within the city limits.

bhk
March 10, 2009, 11:35 AM
This really depends on how your state regulations read. Some of the posters mention 100 yard limits, but that is specific to THEIR state (or county) rules. My state has no such regulations. I live in the country and on a nice day, I can hear shots coming from all directions. Folks in every state in the union shoot on private property, even in California.

GonHuntin
March 10, 2009, 11:55 AM
Howser

I live on 10 acres a couple hours north of you and have a 100 yard range in my backyard........no issues as long as you are not in the city limits and have a safe backstop.

Former neighbor called the law about my shooting......deputy told him I was perfectly legal.........

larry_minn
March 10, 2009, 07:40 PM
Get ahead of the curve. Go to Sheriff's office (best to call ahead) and ask. "I have 10 acres with a depression where I want to make a backstop. There are no houses/people downrange for over a mile beyond. So I just wanted to let you know if anyone calls it in that its me....OK?"
If they start crap ask to use THEIR range then. :)

wyocarp
March 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
I know someone that had to try to prove that nothing would leave his property, like stray bullets.

franconialocal
March 11, 2009, 12:55 AM
New Hampshire as an example......

NOT in the compact area (e.g. downtown or highly populated areas)

300 ft. from the nearest residence (neighbors)

A safe backstop

ALL LOCAL TOWN ORDINANCES APPLY like noise ordinances

That's basically it in NH. Every state will be different. Check your LOCAL area rules.

Zach S
March 11, 2009, 08:19 AM
In my area people shoot anyway. Generally they are decent about it and do it in the afternoon or something. But we have discharge laws along with noise laws.

Shoot something at 3 am in the morning everyone is going to be falling out of bed and arming up while the dogs go crazy everywhere.
Bout the same here. I do most of my shooting in the late morning, while folks with a somewhat regular schedule are at work and kids are in school. One of the perks of graveyard shift.

Flyboy
March 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/ has the answers you seek.

"Crimes and Punishments" are under Title 21.

21-1364. Discharging firearm.
DISCHARGING FIREARM
Every person who willfully discharges any pistol, rifle, shotgun, airgun or other weapon, or throws any other missile in any public place, or in any place where there is any person to be endangered thereby, although no injury to any person shall ensue, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

There are other prohibitions on the discharge of a firearm throughout title 21, but they basically spell out everything you can't do: you can't shoot from a car (drive-by), you can't shoot at an officer of the state, you cannot shoot them at a train, you cannot shoot them at a plane, etc.

The state fully preempts the field of firearm legislation (21-1289.24: "The State Legislature hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation in this state touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition, and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance, or regulation by any municipality or other political subdivision of this state.") with the exception of ability of the municipality regulating discharge of a firearm within its jurisdiction.

In other words, as nearly as I can tell, there's no state law saying you have to be x feet from a property line or structure, or have y acres of land--just that you don't endanger others. Your municipality may vary, and you should definitely contact an attorney of competent jurisdiction before you start building the berm.

MD_Willington
March 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
We have a shotgun range in town, across the road and within a ~1000 feet of two schools...

Wild eh!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting on private property" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!