Somthing indestructable...

PDA

Mr Bernoulli
March 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hey guys I should be getting my pistol permit soon and have started to look at some pistols. I am looking for something as indestructable/tough as a glock but I highly prefer american made especially in these tough times. Also besides tough I would like a nice, accurate gun etc. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Somthing indestructable..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
March 10, 2009, 09:55 AM
What chambering, for what use?

highorder
March 10, 2009, 09:59 AM
Your request is short on details, but you might want to look to the S&W M&P family of autoloaders.

I shot the M&P45 and found it a bit of a handful, but accurate. I would consider one on 9mm or .40S&W.

broken
March 10, 2009, 01:31 PM
smith wesson 5906 in stainless or 5904 alloy frame,they are m1 tanks.

GTSteve03
March 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
How about an all-steel 1911 by Smith & Wesson or Colt? A classic American pistol made by American companies, that should last long enough for your grandkids to shoot. ;)

Just One Shot
March 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
No such thing! Anything mechanical can fail.

More info is needed if you want a suggestion on a DEPENDABLE handgun. Depending on your requirements Ruger has some very dependable handguns that will eat anything you feed them.

PPGMD
March 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Glock, or Sig IMO. Glock is Austrian made, but Sigs are mostly American made, generally only the frames are made in Germany. But even today some frames are made in America (you can tell by the lack of the DE mark on the frame).

Spyvie
March 10, 2009, 03:21 PM
+1 on the Ruger. A P95 may be the most indestructable handgun ever made. Ergonomics are a little suspect, but reliability is top notch.

I'm really happy with my U.S.A. made FNP-9 (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/group.asp?gid=FNG001), though with only 800 trouble free rounds down the pipe I can't say it's indestructable just yet.

My P95 will live longer than I will.

Mr Bernoulli
March 10, 2009, 03:29 PM
hey guys sorry about the details im really open to anything caliber wise besides a 9mm. I also am looking at autoloaders besides the 1911. Anything else american made im game for now lets see what you have.

Yo Mama
March 10, 2009, 04:47 PM
Indestructable?!?! Doesn't exist.

Tough as nails handguns:

M&P
Springfield (not all made in US)
Nighthawks 1911

Adventurer
March 10, 2009, 05:01 PM
Glock 23 (.40 S&W) is hard to beat in the tuff-as-nails and dependable department. I'm not sure if there's any such thing as indestructable though. Even M1 Abrams can be turned to scrap by the right weapons.

7mmSTW
March 10, 2009, 05:08 PM
I too wouldn't call anything indestructable but if you're looking for quality they're making the HK45 right here in the good 'ol USA now.

mljdeckard
March 10, 2009, 05:12 PM
I left patriotism behind the door a long time ago for gun selection. I currently carry a Kimber 1911, but when you ask for something as close to indestructable as possible, I will steer you towards Glock every time. Even a used one in a pawn shop.

Deltaboy
March 10, 2009, 07:42 PM
Ruger they are built like a tank.

mbr
March 10, 2009, 08:26 PM
Guns these days are like cars; its hard to tell what is made in America and what is not. Glock is an Austrian company, but some G19s are built in the states. Springfield Armory is American, but their 1911 slides and frames are imported from Brazil. Like or not, Globalization is with us to stay. And even if you buy an imported gun it still helps the economy; the importer, distributor, dealer, etc. all get paid.

10-Ring
March 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
indestructable hmmm - tough one since all manufacturers have their issues but in normal use, should outlast you...if I had to pick one, it woudl probably be a Glock or a HK USP -- YMMV ;)

Bubba613
March 10, 2009, 10:21 PM
Glocks are made in America, Smyrna GA. OK, recently I've seen some made in Austria. Big deal.

Ruger Sp101. Reliability as close to a rock as you can get. Looks like one too.

gglass
March 10, 2009, 11:05 PM
I highly recommend the M&P line from Smith & Wesson.

The M&P History:
The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military & Police) has always been a highly respected revolver from its introduction to today. Introduced in 1899, it became the standard by which every other medium-frame double-action revolver would be judged--as well as serving as the launching platform for one of the most influential handgun cartridges in history: the .38 S&W Special. The popularity of the M&P (aka Model 10) revolver grew so quickly that it was the most widely used police revolver in the free world.

The M&P line grew into a new brand of semi-auto handguns in 2006, and has become the biggest product launch in S&W's history. The company has been producing semi-auto handguns for more than 100 years, but it was not until 2006 that Smith & Wesson would roll out a semi-auto worthy of the M&P logo. Before embarking on the process of building a new pistol, S&W personnel conducted extensive interviews of law enforcement and military agencies, competitive shooters, and civilian gun owners. The information enabled engineers to include a number of features these varied groups thought were desirable. If you are going to build the finest modern tactical pistol, it is a good idea to get input of those who will use it.

The NEW M&P semi-auto really is a worthy heir to the brand's name and reputation.

Smith & Wesson is an all-American company with an all-American manufacturing facility. That means a hell of a lot to me and my family right now!

Ken Rainey
March 10, 2009, 11:51 PM
Well, with no 9mm I presume you don't want a .38 revolver but if you do, I recommend a stainless Ruger GP100 in .357 and in autoloading pistols a Ruger P90 in .45 ACP.....were it not for the american made only requirement, it would have been a Glock 21SF in .45 ACP, but again, since you said no 9mm, else it would have been a Glock 17...;)

Hostile Amish
March 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Ruger P-85, Walther P99, Glock 23 (Get an aftermarket barrel with better chamber support), or S&W 1911 / 5906

RevolvingCylinder
March 11, 2009, 01:41 AM
Guns these days are like cars; its hard to tell what is made in America and what is not. Glock is an Austrian company, but some G19s are built in the states. Springfield Armory is American, but their 1911 slides and frames are imported from Brazil. Like or not, Globalization is with us to stay. And even if you buy an imported gun it still helps the economy; the importer, distributor, dealer, etc. all get paid.
No. It's actually very easy. One only needs to do a little bit of research and sometimes not even that. Ignorance isn't an excuse, especially when the information is very easy to obtain. Attitudes like this explains why we're a debtor nation that will be overtaken by China economically in the future unless radical change occurs.

bondmid003
March 11, 2009, 02:33 AM
I keep pitching the HK USP, love mine

gglass
March 17, 2009, 08:08 PM
Nah... The people of the U.S. will continue the buying habits that got us into the situation we find ourselves today. All in all, it gives me the mental picture of a bunch of lemmings blindly following one another off a cliff.

I guarantee that EVERY Austrian police officer uses a Glock for a sidearm and EVERY Czech officer uses a XD (HS2000). Even our armed forces use an Italian weapon for a primary sidearm.

Be sure to say hi when we all meet in the coming soup lines.

Big Daddy Grim
March 17, 2009, 08:14 PM
M&P close as they come.

PT1911
March 17, 2009, 08:17 PM
smith and wesson 99, is a walther p99 but much cheaper... SAME gun...

clang
March 17, 2009, 10:44 PM
S&W 4006 or 4506 - find a police trade in of either.

Blue Brick
March 17, 2009, 10:59 PM
1+ Ruger

coloradokevin
March 18, 2009, 05:35 AM
Based on your requirements, I'd go with a S&W M&P. I believe they are made domestically, and they are starting to have a loyal following.

I've only shot these guns a couple of times, but they shot very well when I used them. FWIW, I do own a S&W MP15T rifle, and I like it so far (it is still pretty darn new).

Honestly, the S&W M&P pistols would fall below a Glock or Springfield in my mind, if only because the guns from the other two companies have been taking care of business on the street for a longer period of time (I like a track record on a gun before I stake my life on it). Anyway, I moved the S&W to the top of the heap for you because of the fact that you want an American made gun.

Again, I've only heard decent things about these guns, but I don't know them all that well myself.

One thing I don't like about the M&P line is the magazine disconnect safety... Personally, I want the gun to be functional if there is a round in the chamber, period. I don't buy into this line of thinking that this is an important combat safety mechanism which allows you to drop the magazine if someone is grabbing your gun away from you. To me it is obvious that whoever created that argument has never had someone trying to take a gun away from them! If the gun is going to be lost to your opponent, then I'd say that the odds are strongly favoring an outcome in which you are not able to remove the magazine to begin with. And, the other argument I often hear about it preventing accidental shootings is equally silly... Treat weapons correctly, and keep them away from children. Do that, and you don't need an extra safety. Mechanical parts break, and I like to keep mine to a bare minimum when possible!

Just One Shot
March 18, 2009, 08:53 AM
My son has an M&P. We were at the range Saturday and he wasn't able to get through one complete mag without a fail to feed. He actually had a number of ftf in every mag he tried.

The gun is new with less than 500 rounds through it. It was cleaned after the last outing and I believe he uses Rem oil as a lubricant.

Both of us were using the Fiocchi brand of ammo in .40 S&W and my XD performance was flawless while his was far from it. While he had this same problem before, it wasn't as bad as the last outing.

I looked at the M&P before getting my XD but I was put off by the plastic trigger. The ergonomics of the grip and the design of the trigger just didn't appeal to me.

I know that S&W is a quality firearm and his problem may have be due to the cheap ammo we were using but if the OP was reffering to reliability then I'm sure he wants something that will eat whatever ammo is available.

P97
March 18, 2009, 09:02 AM
Take a good look and shoot a Ruger P90 and see what you think?

blkbrd666
March 18, 2009, 09:13 AM
Nah... The people of the U.S. will continue the buying habits that got us into the situation we find ourselves today. All in all, it gives me the mental picture of a bunch of lemmings blindly following one another off a cliff.

I guarantee that EVERY Austrian police officer uses a Glock for a sidearm and EVERY Czech officer uses a XD (HS2000). Even our armed forces use an Italian weapon for a primary sidearm.

Be sure to say hi when we all meet in the coming soup lines.

Hilarious!!!...and true. +1.

benderx4
March 18, 2009, 09:17 AM
HK45 is now being made in the USA! (With Meprolight night sights too!)

Beagle-zebub
March 18, 2009, 09:28 AM
I would imagine those Czech cops aren't carrying XDs, since those are Croatian.

If you enjoyed reading about "Somthing indestructable..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!