Xdm not legal in cali?

PDA

CA_sharpshooter
March 10, 2009, 04:27 PM
Is this true? I went to guns fishing and other stuff and the guy there told me that springfield's xdm was not legal in california! What the :cuss: and to top that off I tried to order some ammo online and they can't ship to my county, top that off with no local hunting stores in town, this state is officially :cuss: remember that you heard it here first......... oh and by the way I am not as crazy as I sound.......... am I?

If you enjoyed reading about "Xdm not legal in cali?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
March 10, 2009, 04:28 PM
You just started to realize that California's gun laws (among other things) are ridiculous?

I was born there. It changed slowly, but surely. At this point, the place has gone off the deep end.

I say that with sadness in my heart, but I believe that it is the honest truth.

Enjoy riding the $10 Billion imaginary train from LA to SF.

chilie
March 10, 2009, 04:32 PM
He's coming around...;)

There is no way you could get me to live, or possibly ever be in California again.

mljdeckard
March 10, 2009, 04:33 PM
I was there for a year on orders. That's the ONLY reason I would ever live there, and I left my guns at home.

KarenTOC
March 10, 2009, 04:45 PM
My husband grew up in California. He left in the early 1970s and never went back. He decided way back then that the state was heading in the wrong direction.

California may stink now, but it wasn't a sudden change. Its decline has been in the works for a number of years.

It's a shame. California could be a great place.

CA_sharpshooter
March 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
I just turned 21 a in october so I was never really in tune with the magazine and handgun restrictions, I have always just been a duck/deer/turkey hunter but now that I am getting interested in competition shooting and performance rifles and handguns the laws that have been put in place are absolutely insane. I would leave cali in a heatrbeat but now that my dad is getting older I have been put in charge of one side of the family business which means I may never be able to see what a "free" state looks like:banghead: Also how much of a difference is there between the original XD and the new XDM and why has it been made illegal?

jakemccoy
March 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
I should probably move to another state where guns are allowed all the time, except of course during times like Katrina.

22lr
March 10, 2009, 05:01 PM
No worries I dont think the XDm is all its hyped to be. Ya it stinks you can thave one but I like the plain ole XD a lot better. The XDm just felt way to much like a brick with a really bad handle on it (better than hi-point but no by much). But again Im a wheel gun addict so my opinion probably doesn't count.
Sorry for you though, at least I have the choice of a XDm and id be really mad if I couldn't get one (a principle thing).

Frank Ettin
March 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
Handguns must be on the approved list to be sold in California.

The list is here: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/. For more information on the gun laws in California see: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

Also, see this thread and help us try to get "shall issue" in California: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=434195.

Welcome to real life.

Quiet
March 10, 2009, 09:44 PM
Handguns sold by a CA FFL dealer need to be on the CA DOJ approved list.

Handguns not on the approved list are legal to own and sold via Private Party Transfer (PPT).

The Springfield Armory XDm is not on the CA DOJ approved list because it does not have a CA DOJ approved loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect and a 10 round magazine.

Washington D.C. recently adopted the CA DOJ approved list.
So, residents of Washington D.C. can only purchase/own/register handguns that are on the CA DOJ approved list.
A lawsuit has been filed in D.C. "challenging a regulation by District of Columbia city government that arbitrarily bans handguns based on a roster of “acceptable” handguns approved by the State of California." The Calguns Foundation (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/) is assisting/supporting this lawsuit because if it is found unconsitutional in Washington D.C. it will effect CA as well.

Goto the forums calguns.net to learn more.

CapnMac
March 10, 2009, 09:49 PM
I have been put in charge of one side of the family business which means I may never be able to see what a "free" state looks like

Sure the family biz does not need a branch in, oh, AZ, NV, even UT? <G>

ShadyScott999
March 10, 2009, 10:18 PM
Or SC?

Dirtpile
March 10, 2009, 10:56 PM
That's advice you won't regret following. GET OUT of The Peoples Republic of Kalifornistan while you still can! It's not going to get better there only worse. Be warned though, the Bovine Scatology that is **********n legislation has been known to spread so choose your new homestead carefully.

bondmid003
March 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
My dad is actually giving me an XDm as a gift thereby circumventing California's uber ridiculous laws. I don't know if your parents are still around but a parent or grandparent is allowed to give a child or grandchild a handgun that is not on CA DOJ list of handguns. To clarify I'm not advocating intentionally breaking California's laws, i'm only saying there are ways to make handungs not on CA's list to be exempt.

gglass
March 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
The hell you say!!!

Do you mean to say that an Eastern European made weapon is not welcome in the People's Republic of **********? What will our comrades in arms do on the left coast?

JWF III
March 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
guns are allowed all the time, except of course during times like Katrina.

What is meant by that statement?

That's exactly when they are needed the most!

Unless you are the type to depend on the government to keep you safe, feed you, supply you with potable water, etc. A nanny state is not what I want. If it comes to that, there won't be a state that guns are allowed all the time.

Wyman

Delford
March 11, 2009, 10:14 AM
jakemccoy was referring to the police taking the handguns of all citizens of New Orleans during Katrina. It was illegal seizure that took the courts to undo. The police had to give people their guns back.

jakemccoy
March 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
JWF,

I live in Cali. I was trying to get in a zinger about some other states.

-Jake

ArmedBear
March 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have been put in charge of one side of the family business which means I may never be able to see what a "free" state looks like

On the contrary, having to keep a business in the black is one of the top reasons people DO leave California these days.

That's one of the reasons I say it has gone "off the deep end." Where will the next growth spurt come from, in a state that is rated the worst to do business in?

It wasn't always that way. Now there are too many people who have done their best to kill the golden-egg-laying goose. I'm not too happy about it: we have property there. Where will our next tenants come from, if there are no jobs?

The Lone Haranguer
March 11, 2009, 12:38 PM
At least it doesn't (yet) require a permit to purchase or possess.

samonfire
May 7, 2009, 08:22 PM
first of all this is a great site. have been doing my homework for the past few days and the info here is the best. i read in previous posts that if a mom etc. had a xdm and then private party transferred it to (me) in cali it would be legal. but im confused on how this is still legal due to the mags being over 10 rounds. i have looked everywhere for some 10 rounders with no luck. any help/ideas would be appreciated.

colorado_handgunner
May 7, 2009, 11:06 PM
The Peoples Republic of California. I actually told my company I would not move there, period. I love my guns and freedom to much!

Quiet
May 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
first of all this is a great site. have been doing my homework for the past few days and the info here is the best. i read in previous posts that if a mom etc. had a xdm and then private party transferred it to (me) in cali it would be legal. but im confused on how this is still legal due to the mags being over 10 rounds. i have looked everywhere for some 10 rounders with no luck. any help/ideas would be appreciated.

You can get the pistol but not the magazines.
Springfield Armory is currently not offering 10 round magazines for the XDm series.
So, your mom can dissassemble the magazines and send you the parts. You then take the parts and make a permanent 10 round magazine.
Or, you just own the pistol and no magazines.

Go and join the forums at calguns.net for more information about intra-familial transfers.

Quiet
May 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
In regards to the CA DOJ approved list.

SAF, Calguns Foundation Challenges California Handgun Ban Scheme (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/news/70-saf-calguns-foundation-challenges-california-handgun-ban-scheme)

Depending on the outcome of this lawsuit, the CA DOJ approved list may go away.

10-Ring
May 8, 2009, 01:35 AM
So, let's say you manage to acquire one in the state -- how will you shoot it? ....as I understand there are no 10 round mags available for it :scrutiny:
Welcome to the jungle ---

krs
May 8, 2009, 10:09 AM
Handguns imported into California are exempt from the DOJ approved list so long as it is not an "Assualt Handgun" defined as:

Handguns must not be 'assault weapons'

Handguns must not be California 'assault weapons' per Penal Code 12276.1

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.

(B) A second handgrip.

(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon
without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel.

(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location
outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Handguns must be registered

If one brings handguns into the state when moving here, one is defined to be a personal handgun importer. PC 12072(f)(2) requires

(2) (A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do
one of the following:

(i) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the
Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department
including information concerning that individual and a description
of the firearm in question.
(ii) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the
provisions of subdivision (d) or in accordance with the provisions
of an exemption from subdivision (d).

(iii) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant
to Section 12071.

(iv) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police
department.

If you bring handguns into the state you then become an "Importer of Handguns" and must register both yourself and the handguns?? Subject to approval of the state, presumably.
And if you don't chose to register then you may sell your handguns to either someone out of the state, or to a law enforcement agency?? I'll bet they pay top dollar too, eh?

Jeeez, 1998 is the year that I left california. I was 51 years old and had lived there all of my life and am third or fourth generation depending on which set of records on an illustrious forebear you read. I guess the state took full advantage of my having left by passing laws like this?

Maybe they wanted to make sure I didn't come back. LOL! Tell 'em it worked! :D

harmon rabb
May 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
cali is ****ing ridiculous. would never live there.

onegun
May 8, 2009, 08:03 PM
exactly.....and who doesnt want everyone to have their own barret 50cal. Ca is rediculous

If you enjoyed reading about "Xdm not legal in cali?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!