Silencers for revolvers

PDA

glock_17_4U
March 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
Do any of you have a revolver with a silencer? I know its an odd question, but I watched Desperado recently and it got me to thinking about how perfect a choice the .357 is for a silencer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silencers for revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cochise9424221
March 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
this is a joke right?

kingpin008
March 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
There is at least one user here, PTK, who has a suppressed Nagant revolver.

To my knowledge, it's the only revolver that is currently suppressable. I kinda want to say that there were maybe one or two others made, (prototypes?) but I can't remember what they were for the life of me. I believe one used a spring-powered sort of cartridge. Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to fill in the blanks.

But in general, revolvers are difficult or impossible to suppress, due to the gap between the cylinder face and the forcing cone of the barrel. The reason the Nagant is suppressable, is because the cylinder physically moves forward to seal that gap during firing.

Kind of Blued
March 10, 2009, 11:18 PM
There is at least one user here, PTK, who has a suppressed Nagant revolver.

And here's me shooting it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_Os0WWpFg&feature=channel_page

Giggidy giggidy. That's all folks.

bannockburn
March 10, 2009, 11:31 PM
glock 17 4 u

I believe Knight Armament Co. did some work in the late 80's/early 90's with silenced Ruger revolvers. Not only were the guns heavily modified but I think the ammo was also custom made as to achieve additional decibel reduction, to maximize the whole silencer effect.

Ruodo
March 10, 2009, 11:33 PM
The only revolvers I have ever seen suppressed was the nagant already posted, and a Russian one made for a spy I would assume.

DrLaw
March 10, 2009, 11:38 PM
Everybody knows that there are suppressed revolvers. Maxwell Smart, Agent 99 and the Chief had them all the time, as did villans on THE MAN FROM UNCLE, KOJAK, HAWAII FIVE-O and loads of other shows from the 60's and the 70's. :neener:

The Doc is lmao :D and out now. :cool:

ZombiesAhead
March 11, 2009, 05:25 AM
I don't believe a .357 would be quite perfect for a silencer. On top of the issues people have mentioned about cylinder gap in a revolver, .357 is too fast.

To suppress a powerful handgun round, a .45ACP would be better as the velocity is much lower (I believe they are subsonic from the get-go).

glock_17_4U
March 11, 2009, 07:37 AM
I know my question was somewhat juvenile,but I have always been more interested in seeing a .357 silenced than a semi calibur.

ZombiesAhead
March 11, 2009, 10:38 AM
It would undoubtedly be very cool. My criticism though isn't so much against it being a revolver (though there is that problem) but that it's easier to suppress big, slow rounds.

hawkeye1
March 11, 2009, 11:06 AM
Found this while looking around on the web one day. Not completely silenced but definitely suppressed.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg213-e.htm

burnse
March 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
In the next movie, Once upon a time in Mexico, Eva Mendez has a VERY quiet suppressed snub/short barreled revolver. Ridiculous, but that's just part of why those movies are awesome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silencers for revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!