Reformed holster snob...

PDA

ShadyScott999
March 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
Hi, my name is Scott and I am a holster snob.

I learned something today. I have always been a bit of a high end leather guy and a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. On a whim I traded a Glock 27 which I hated for a Kahr CW 9. Seemed like it would be a great summer gun (thin, light, revolver like trigger) here in the hot summer south.

This led me on my quest for a good IWB holster for a "not so popular" gun. As usual anymore I can't get through to Sparks to order another VMII which I consider the standard in excellence. Soooo off the the classifieds on GlockTalk I go.

I find one holster for sale for the Kahr. It is a Comp-Tac Spartan. Well I got it in the mail today. By the way, $40 shipped.

Long story short...

Great fit
Comfortable as heck
Infinitely adjustable
Tuckable
Cheap
Cheap

I would recommend this to anyone looking.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reformed holster snob..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cannonball888
March 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi, my name is Scott and I am a holster snob.

Cheap
Cheap
Cheap
Cheap

http://www.ducttapeguys.com/diner/images/Gun_Holster.jpg
:neener:

JWF III
March 11, 2009, 09:52 AM
I'm in the process of looking for a good, comfortable holster. So I just googled Comp-Tac. Nice looking holster, $64 new. But nothing but SA, no holsters made for a revolver. Not even a J-frame.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The search continues...

Wyman

Delford
March 11, 2009, 10:02 AM
My problem too, JWF
I just got a Fobus paddle holster purportedly able to fit a Ruger 345.
It doesn't. Only goes in halfway and the trigger assembly splits the holster open near the rivet. Comp-Tac doesn't make one for the P345.
Anyone know of a Kydex holster maker for a P345?

heron
March 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
I've been looking for a drop-leg (tactical thigh) holster for my 6" GP 100 -- began to give up hope, but then found West Woods Landing:

wwholsters.com

and they make 'em! Ambidextrous, even (I need it on the left side).

Haven't got it yet, but I ordered the nylon version for $60, (I'm cheap, too!) and they have it in leather for an extra $10. If it's as good as the customer comments say, I'll be happy.

Superlite27
March 11, 2009, 11:55 AM
(tactical thigh) holster for my 6" GP 100 --

I have a three point sling for my Winchester 1894.

It kinda hangs up on the holographic sights, though.

J.K. I've got a 6" GP 100 and love it. I wouldn't consider it "tactical" though. Of course, it might not be a bad idea as far as reliability goes. Kinda limited on the capacity, though.

Deanimator
March 11, 2009, 11:59 AM
I carry my Norinco M1911 (and all of my other full sized carry guns) in a Don Hume 715M IWB. Comfortable, well made, not designed to be but reasonably tuckable, and very reasonably priced.

Zundfolge
March 11, 2009, 12:03 PM
The Comp-Tac Spartan may not be expensive, but its not "cheap".

As a holster snob myself, I wouldn't put the Comp-Tac beneath me. Although I still prefer 100% leather holsters, the Spartan is still a pretty good rig (although the Minotaur HTAC is probably more comfortable).

Now as a holster snob, what annoys me is the bubbas we get in here complaining; "I don't see how y'all can carry 24/7, My Glock 17 gets real uncomfortable real fast in this here Uncle Mike's nylon holster." Followed by "Whatdaya mean I need to spend $75 and wait 3 months for a good leather custom holster ...y'all is crazy!"

JWF III, Ugly Bald Guy (http://www.ubgholsters.com/iwb.htm) makes holsters for a J-Frame and Side Guard (http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/IWB_Holsters.htm) makes holsters for J-Frames, K-Frames and some Taurus revolvers as well (I have a holster for my SW99 compact on order with Side Guard ... should be here any day now ... when it gets in I plan on doing a full review).

GTSteve03
March 11, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm in the process of looking for a good, comfortable holster. So I just googled Comp-Tac. Nice looking holster, $64 new. But nothing but SA, no holsters made for a revolver. Not even a J-frame.
I know Comp Tac makes revolver holsters because I ordered one for my Ruger SP101 not that long ago.

I got the Pro Undercover. It appears that will fit a J-Frame. Also the Two O'Clock, the Gurkha, the Shirt Tucker, and that's just the IWB holsters. I didn't check the OWB.

JWF III
March 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
I know Comp Tac makes revolver holsters because I ordered one for my Ruger SP101 not that long ago.

I' didn't spend a lot of time over there looking. I'll get around to it in the next couple of evenings. But in the 10 minutes I was there, each make of holster I pulled up were SA models only. Not saying they don't make them (well I guess I kinda did), but I couldn't find them quickly. I'll go back and search some more. Or maybe I should call, it could just be a non up-to-date website problem.

Ugly Bald Guy makes holsters for a J-Frame and Side Guard makes holsters for J-Fra

Yeah I know they're out there, I've looked at MS site and like what I saw, except for the wait. I may just bite the bullet and order one of his, and buy a off the rack holster to tide me over till it arrives.

Wyman

PS-"Ugly Bald Guy"--I thought you were talking about me for a second:D

The Lone Haranguer
March 11, 2009, 01:34 PM
Value need not be expensive, but cheap is usually poor value.

I am continually amazed at the number of people who buy a $500-$700 or more handgun and then want the cheapest holster for it, or buy a good holster and then go cheap on the belt. Any number of good holsters can be had for 10% of the cost of the gun, and a complete system with belt and ammo carrier for around 25%.

I was pleased to see that Nate at UBG has upgraded his website and added new products and guns. :)

Dr.Rob
March 11, 2009, 07:34 PM
I still think those tensionable Jak-slide holsters Galco makes are one of the best buys out there, and a LOT of people have switched to kydex, and not just for the reduced cost.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reformed holster snob..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!