Gun Clubs which have a couple of openings or a closer range than Ft. Knox?

PDA

Kentucky Rifle
October 6, 2003, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty tired of driving all the way to Ft. Knox to practice. We've got about 250 people in front of us, patiently waiting their turn to join the only nice gun club that I know of. (Fishing lake, picnic area, etc..) Does anyone who lives close to Louisville know of a nice gun club or shooting range? Ray's is closed. I didn't like it much to begin with, but at least it was only a short drive. There were two things I didn't like about Ray's. The first was poor ventilation (not even heat or A/C!) and second was a poor backstop. I missed the turn one day and had to drive around the back side of the building. There were BULLET HOLES in the back of that building where the backstop had deflected bullets "upwards" and OUT the back of the metal building. I need a closer range. A nice safe place like Ft. Knox, only CLOSER. Suggestions from Louisville people??? PLEASE!!

KR

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Clubs which have a couple of openings or a closer range than Ft. Knox?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CRUSHER
October 6, 2003, 06:32 PM
Have you checked out the Knob Creek Range?

Logistar
October 7, 2003, 01:12 AM
I know this probably doesn't help, KR. FWIW, Bluegrass Indoor Range in Lexington is really nice. Good ventilation.... well... just a nice place.

http://bluegrassrange.com

As it stands now, I will probably make a trip up there every 8 weeks or so.
$7\hr for lane.

If only they'd build one like that around here...:banghead:

Logistar

mrstang01
October 7, 2003, 01:50 AM
We've got to keep pushing Wynn at Bluegrass Range to open one in the ville! I know he's higher than Ray's was, but it's a great range, really nice not to come out of the bays spitting black!

Kentucky Rifle
October 7, 2003, 11:15 AM
I'd be delighted to pay more for a nice range in Louisville. Heated, A/C, ventilation--no problems with paying more. I'd consider it just fine.

KR

Ridgeway
October 7, 2003, 11:45 AM
Knob Creek is the best I've found so far...a little longer than I'd like to drive, but its cheap...

Kris
October 7, 2003, 01:24 PM
I recently joined the Silver Creek Conservation Club in Sellersburg, Indiana. I'm a new gun owner and this is the only local place I have shot, so I don't have much to compare it to.

The only down side, and judging from your user name this may be a deal breaker, is I do not believe they allow centerfire rifles.

Let me know if you need more information.
--Kris

Ridgeway
October 7, 2003, 08:41 PM
in Sellersburg, Indiana
Only problem with Indiana(at least for me), is the need for a permit to simply have a gun in the state(is this just handguns or does it include long guns), as they don't have reciprocity w/KY...

I would assume a KY resident could apply for an Indiana permit though? Would one just go to a sheriff dept. and apply like for a normal CCW?

mrstang01
October 7, 2003, 08:49 PM
Uh, IN has reciprocity with KY for CCW. However, I'm not sure what you're saying, IN residents may need a permit to own a weapon (don't think that's true, but anyway), if you're just going there to shoot, why would that matter?

Jessica
October 7, 2003, 10:42 PM
You do not need an Indiana gun permit to go to a range. For that matter even if you are just passing through, a Kentucky Gun Permit is acceptable.

Besides Silver Creek there is also a private range in Borden. You have to belong to the Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club to shoot there.

I go to the range in Georgetown, IN (Floyd County Conservation Club.) It is outdoors, but covered, and allows rifle & pistol shooting. (7, 25, 50 & 100 yards). It is $5.00/day to shoot or $40/year. It is located about 30 minutes west of Louisville.

Also in Georgetown is Indian Creek Shooting Center which is a really nice range for Skeet shooters only.

There is also a range in Utica, IN along the river. I don't know a lot about this range...I've only been once, but I can find out more for anyone interested.

If you need any additional information on these ranges feel free to contact me at jessicalw@earthlink.net

Kentucky Rifle
October 8, 2003, 09:49 AM
Please send me the information on Silver Creek Conservation Club via e-mail. Other than getting across the bridge, Sellersburg is not too bad a drive. Private "key" club, maybe? My skills with a rifle don't deteriorate as fast as skills with a pistol. I have to practice more with a pistol.

KR

Jessica
October 8, 2003, 11:00 AM
I'm anxious to know more too! I heard it was a private range, but maybe my source was incorrect.

Kris
October 8, 2003, 12:55 PM
I guess you would call Silver Creek Conservation Club a key club there is a padlock on the entrance gate. You gain access once you become a member. I believe that dues are $60 the first year and $35/year after that.

I observed a USPSA match there before joining. There are 5 or 6 separate ranges where they set up different courses for the competitions. And a shotgun range in a separate area. I believe that they set up an informal USPSA type course on Thursday evenings for club members.

I just joined myself so I do not have a lot of information, but I can put you in touch with a club officer if you need more information.

I hate putting publicizing my "real" email addresses for fear of spam, but you can contact me at the following throw-away address I check once-a-day:
piggymouse@hotmail.com

Ridgeway
October 8, 2003, 06:01 PM
Uh, IN has reciprocity with KY for CCW. However, I'm not sure what you're saying, IN residents may need a permit to own a weapon (don't think that's true, but anyway), if you're just going there to shoot, why would that matter?

Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking re: reciprocity, but what I guess I meant was that you need a permit of some sort to simply have a handgun in Indiana. No?

Copied from packing.org

IC 35-47-2-1

Sec. 1. A person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about his person, except in his dwelling, on his property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in his possession.

Electric & Chemical Spray Weapons Laws IC 35-41-1-6.6 & IC 35-41-1-8 & IC 35-47-8

History for this field
Peaceable journey law summary:
Date updated: Tuesday, November 26, 2002

IC 35-47-2-1 Sec. 1.

Except as provided in section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about his person, except in his dwelling, on his property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in his possession.

What I get from that is that w/o a permit I can't go into IN w/a handgun, which limits my range choices to KY...

Jessica
October 8, 2003, 06:24 PM
IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

If you had your trunk loaded down with range equipment and were going to a range in Indiana from Kentucky you would be fine!

Ridgeway
October 8, 2003, 06:30 PM
If you had your trunk loaded down with range equipment and were going to a range in Indiana from Kentucky you would be fine!

Oh...thanks for clarification...sry for the mistake then. :)

BTW sorry to keep hijacking thread but would I be considered to be licensed to have a handgun in IN if I do <u>not</u> have a concealed permit in KY(as there is no gun/handgun permit in KY, persay)?

Jessica
October 8, 2003, 08:06 PM
There are no CCW permits in Kentucky?
And, you are right! We are hi-jacking the thread...going to PM. :)

garrettwc
October 9, 2003, 12:08 AM
Ridgeway, Jessica

If you can't reach a consensus through PM exchange drop me an email.

I have an IN CCW and train with some of the CCW instructors for state of KY, which does have CCW as of a few years ago by the way.

Spark
October 9, 2003, 12:14 AM
Kentucky has a CCDW liscense - it allows you to carry concealed any deadly weapon, not just handguns. Pretty cool.

BluesBear
October 9, 2003, 04:51 AM
I guess it's a semi-shame that Ray's closed down. When it was builkt it was a beautiful range. The NRA even said it was the nicest range in the US.

I was the original manager when it opened as Sport Shooters.

One of the original three partners that built it was a nationally respected HVAC Engineer. There was plenty of ventilation and the AC would freeze you. The building was designed to have a negative pressure at the firing line. you could see the smoke and fumes being pulled down the lanes toward the backstop. I guess it just wasn't maintained properly.

As for the holes in the back wall. When built the original Detroit Bullet Traps were great. A few years after opening the remaining 2 partners decided that it would be more profitable if they converted one set of lanes into a rifle range. By that time I was long gone but whatever they did to convert it didn't work. From Day One bullets were leaving the building faster than Elvis. After several months they put it back like it was but the PR damage was done.

At least Ray bought it cheap. I was offered an opportunity to buy the business before Ray and they offered it to me for $8,000.
But the rent & insurance were too much for me.

The last time I shot there was early 1999 and it was just too depressing to see the condition the building was in.

Kentucky Rifle
October 9, 2003, 10:08 AM
Sitting in my truck, wondering "what those holes in the walls are". When I looked closer and, "THEY'RE BULLET HOLES"!!! crossed my mind and, finally- "I'M BY THE BULLET HOLES"!!
SCREEEEECH! (Tires on pavement.) Real good reaction time there, Will. It was so unexpected that I had trouble processing what the holes REALLY were.

Duh!
KR

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Clubs which have a couple of openings or a closer range than Ft. Knox?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!