Attaching Sleeping Bag & Ground Pad to Pack

PDA

Skunkabilly
October 6, 2003, 05:19 PM
Got a 3-rd line gear question for y'all...I have a Camelbak Motherlode and a Wiggy's 60" ground pad and sleeping bag.

What's the best way to attach it to my pack? The roll and bag are two separate items.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attaching Sleeping Bag & Ground Pad to Pack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
greenmountaingear
October 6, 2003, 07:17 PM
Personally I would ditch the pad...it is a "luxury item" IMHO and adds extra weight/hassle.

If you really want it, try to find a way to secure it to the TOP of the pack if possible. Should be able to do it w/ some extra straps pretty easily. I'd try to get the bag on the base of your pack if you can pull it off and still be comfortable when walking.

Test out a couple methods and see what ya get :)

Rob

Spark
October 6, 2003, 11:43 PM
Stuff sacks are your friend. Compress, compress, compress some more. Personally dude, get ye to a Snugpak Dealer. I like the ground cover but it is a luxury to be sure - a bivvy sack will insulate and keep you dry. If you get one of the lightweight surplus rubber mats, you can roll it up super tight and put wherever you want - but make sure it's parallel to the ground, or you'll be hating life.

Devonai
October 7, 2003, 01:46 AM
I consider the ground pad (Isomat) to be a necessity, not a luxury! Without it the ground will suck all the heat right out of your sleeping bag. If Spark is talking about a bag with a built in mat, that's one thing, but no mat at all is not an option. I have slipped off my Isomat plenty of times during the night and the results are not pleasant!

I keep my isomat rolled up and attached to the exterior of my ruck with bungee cords. Add two more bungee cords, and a poncho, and you get a hooch. Very handy.

greenmountaingear
October 7, 2003, 05:22 AM
Appearently we are imagining two different scenarios...for a BOB, or SHTF situation I would consider a big rolled up mat to be a luxury. There are other options for a ground cloth if that is all you need it for. If we are talking about "regular" camping, it would be a different story :) Carry all you want and be comfortable.

Compress sacks do the trick too (lke mentioned above)!! It is amazing how small you can get those darn bags! Well worth the $10-$20 to get one or two of them.

AK103K
October 7, 2003, 06:26 AM
Depends on your pack Skunk. Both my bag and pad go inside on my pack. On my kids ALICE packs, the bag is secured to the bottom in a compression sack and bag carrier and the pad is secured on top under the top cover. I agree with Devonai, the pad is a necessity and makes for a good nights sleep. The Thermarests are not bulky at all and well worth their(minor) weight! I'd ditch something else before I ditched it.

CZ 75 BD
October 7, 2003, 06:31 AM
Thermarest allows me to sleep on cold rocks, among other things.
3/8" accessory cord and taut-line hitch secure it all for me.
:D

Billy Sparks
October 7, 2003, 07:09 AM
Skunk, I use the BFM for SAR missions. I attach my groundpad to the bottom and the sleeping bag to either the top or front of mine.

OEF_VET
October 7, 2003, 11:08 AM
Skunk,

Check out these straps:
http://www.rangerjoes.com/catalog/selection.cfm?category=main&id=3043
The 10" straps should fit through the four slots on the bottom of your Motherlode and then around your sleeping bag, keeping it snug enough against the bottom for your purposes.

As far as a mat goes, they're great, and I loved using my GI issued one when the opportunity presented itself. However, unless you are in a very cold environment, they are a luxury. Yeah, they keep you from feeling all of those little sticks and twigs under you, but you can still fall asleep with them under you. If you do need to strap one on to your Motherlode, try using one or two of the smaller straps from above, and then attach them to the back. It'll look a bit strange, and be a bit awkward, but they should fit in the nylon webbing running up the bottom pocket (the one with the CB logo on it).

Frank

Smoke
October 7, 2003, 11:12 AM
I don't own a back pack.

As an occasional overnight hunter, rarer camper, and other general civilian sleeping duties: I have chosen the Cowboy bedroll (do a google search) over a backpack.

You can load whatever you need in it and use it as both bed and dufflebag.

Works for me. YMMV

Andrew Wyatt
October 8, 2003, 12:58 AM
sleeping pad not an option. i attach mine to the top of my pack, the sleeping bag to the bottom.

jthuang
October 8, 2003, 05:14 PM
You're not packing a tent?

Option 1: Leave ground mat behind. Tent on top of pack, sleeping bag on bottom, both in Hydroseal stuff sacks to keep them dry. Keep weighty items (e.g. tent) higher up and closer to your back than lighter items (e.g. sleeping bag).

Option 2: Ground mat on top, sleeping bag on bottom. If you can spare the space, put the tent inside the pack.

Option 3 (my preferred one): Sleeping bag on bottom. Roll tent bag inside sleeping mat, so that the result is one big cylinder, which goes on top. Is bulky but it saves room inside the pack for other things. You will need an oversized pack cover if you are going into rainy country.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attaching Sleeping Bag & Ground Pad to Pack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!