Best sharpener for Khukhri-style blades...?

PDA

KBintheSLC
March 11, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have a new Khukhri knife and I am trying to figure out what the best type of sharpener would be for the contoured blade. I normally use flat stones/carbide slabs, but I wonder if a round diamond bar might make it easier. Will you Khukhri folks share? What tool do you prefer to sharpen the Khukhri blade?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best sharpener for Khukhri-style blades...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mole
March 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
My brother uses a flat bastard cut mill file and then sandpaper on a phonebook. Seems to work for him.

CWL
March 11, 2009, 11:47 PM
The easiest way to sharpen the convex blade is on a belt sander. If you have 300 grit or finer belts, you can sharpen-up the khuk on that. You do need to keep a bucket of water next to you to dip the blade so it doesn't overheat.

Start with lower grits and change to 600-1200 grit to put on a final polish to the edge. Strop afterwards to remove the wire.

It isn't that hard although I suggest you search online for instructions.

JShirley
March 12, 2009, 01:09 AM
I strongly suggest you go to BladeForums.com, and look through the Himalayan Imports forum. One popular suggestion for convexed kuks involves a mouse, iirc.

I've used a Spyderco Sharpmaker before, or just the chakma.

John

alaskanativeson
March 12, 2009, 04:18 AM
I've had really good luck with the DMT Ceramic Chef's Steel (http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6804) which is a round ceramic, but unlike most ceramic rods, this one is basically unbreakable. I've had mine hanging in my kitchen for a long time and have been very impressed with its performance on blades of most all shapes. Of course it won't do much for my fine serrations, but that's why I also have a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

The DMT is great for recurve blades.

feudalson
March 12, 2009, 04:20 AM
stone

hso
March 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
I do not advise anyone who does not have a lot of experience with powered systems to try to sharpen with them. You can wreck your knife and/or end up severely injured.

Convex edges can be sharpened using a series of abrasive papers on a dense deformable pad. Mouse pads, neoprene foam, thick leather, and even phone books can make a base. I like dense foam pads for this. This allows you to draw the knife across the abrasive while the foam takes a curve to match the convex edge.

KBintheSLC
March 12, 2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info... I'll likely try the non-motorized methods first. I have used a belt sander to sharpen knives in the past, but I only use it when the blade is in really bad shape. I just need something to "touch up" the edge at this point.

On second thought, I do need to get rid of this hallow grind and make it into a convex. My Khukhri is not one of the high-end ones from HI... its just a Ka-Bar. It seems to do the job so far though.

Zeke/PA
March 13, 2009, 10:11 AM
I use my Spyderco Sharpmaker for almost all my knives.
For the larger stuff like a Machette I flat clamp the blade to a bench or vice mounted board( 2X4) and use a flat mill file till the edge "rolls over".
Then do the other side of the blade and then "draw file" both sides.
I finalize the edge wtih a round Carborundum axe stone using pleanty of oil.
Belt sanders are great for sharpening things provided one has developed the required "technique" otherwise a ruined blade is the result.
As an example a mower blade sharpened properly should have a uniform , straight bevel verses a faceted edge.
I use a 1hp sander with a 36 grit belt for this chore.
A small bucket of water is advisable but usually a belt sander is not a apt to overheat the blade as is a grinding wheel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best sharpener for Khukhri-style blades...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!