Hammerless Auto's complaint

PDA

gmh1013
March 11, 2009, 05:25 PM
I have a thing about buying a gun without a hammer.
My friend says im old fashioned and should try a Glock or new Wather but I have a mental block and I'm scared of them. To me they (hammerless) are like a
cottonmouth water moccasin ready to bite you...even if you are careful,plus I like to be able to de-cock the pistol without having to worry about
round in the chamber etc,.
Sadly it look like the hammerless auto is going away slowly....Some of the new auto's I really like except they have internal firing pens.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Hammerless Auto's complaint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matrix187
March 11, 2009, 05:31 PM
You mean striker-fired guns? They are extremely safe as long as you don't pull the trigger. But, I think the same way you do. I prefer a decocker setup still.

1-cavediver
March 11, 2009, 05:34 PM
With hammer or without, when you PULL THE TRIGGER the gun goes "bang". Don't pull the trigger and the gun won't fire, pretty simple to me. I think you may just need to get more comfortable with handguns in general because this shouldn't cause you any concern.

The Lone Haranguer
March 11, 2009, 05:34 PM
First we must define "hammerless." Only a spring-loaded striker-fired action is hammerless. Hammers can be concealed within or flush with the slide, too.

If you have difficulty telling if a striker is "cocked" or not, on a Glock the trigger is in its forward position, and the Walther's protrudes visibly, exposing a red stripe.

gwnorth
March 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hammer fired guns going away? Since when, or where? HK, SIG, FN, CZ, 1911's-galore - there seems no shortage of hammer fired pistols out there to choose from, and new ones popping up all the time.

Personally, I don't like striker fired pistols either. I would not say I'm afraid of them, or even that I don't trust them (mechanically), just that I prefer my pistols to be DA/SA hammer fired, with a decocker. The exception being my 1911.

Go with what you like (but never be afraid to try something new either, when opportunity arises).

nwilliams
March 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Lots of companies still make guns with hammers....

H&K
FN
CZ
Beretta
Ruger
Sig

I don't see guns with hammers disappearing anytime soon and you have plenty to choose from still out there. If you're wanting a striker-fire with decocker then why not look at the Walther P99, I just picked one up and I'm extremely happy with it.

oneounceload
March 11, 2009, 11:11 PM
Pick up a H&K P7, and you can decock simply by relaxing your grip

If you enjoyed reading about "Hammerless Auto's complaint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!