Couple of old Winchester 94s

PDA

JWJacobVT
March 11, 2009, 08:25 PM
These belong to a friend of mine. They were his grandfalthers.
#1 25-35 WCF 845XXX
#2 25-35 WIN 911XXX
Both saddle ring.
He is trying to figure out what to do with them. Clean them up, sell , keep???

any thoughts? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Couple of old Winchester 94s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
March 11, 2009, 11:29 PM
#1 was made in 1918, and #2 was made in 1922.

On the plus side, they are all original, haven't been drilled/tapped other than the swivels in #1, and look complete. This alone has some value to it.

On the down side, they look like they may or may not be shootable, they show a decent amount of honest use, they are in a virtually obsolete cartridge, and the bores may or may not be restorable.

But, they are intact old Winchesters, so they have value. I would suggest getting some good high-resolution photos of the bores, actions, etc. (about six or eight high-resolution photos of each gun) and then posting those here or on other rifle forums (like the winchester forum) and then you can get a better evaluation. Or take them to a gun show and ask some opinions of table vendors. Another way to research is to go to Gunbroker and search completed auctions for 25-35 94 models and see if any similar ones have sold recently (advanced search feature lets you look at completed/closed auctions).

It looks to me like the metal condition has decayed well beyond anything "collector grade," so if may be worth refinishing them if he wants to shoot and use them. Probably one could be sold as-is and it would more than pay for the refinishing/refurbishing of the other. Or sell them both to a collector to decide what to do with.

Really, what to do with them depends largely on your friend's interest in them - does he shoot, will he reload for that cartridge or hunt out the rare ammo, does he attach a lot of family interest to them or not? Lot of variables to figure out before making a decision. What part of VT are you in? I know some gunsmiths around the state; lived there a while. Maybe I can make a recommendation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Couple of old Winchester 94s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!