Duty Weapon: Kimber TLE II or /Pre-Series II Classic?

PDA

HMMurdock
March 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
In short, I work for a Police Department that authorizes private duty weapons. I currently carry a Sig P220 ST .45 which is fantastic, but I'd like to spice up my life with a 1911. I've not owned one in a few years and I wouldn't mind getting another.

I've narrowed my selection down to Kimber, but do I want a Pre-Series II Classic or do I want the TLE II? I like the grip stipling of the TLE II, but I understand the non-schwartz/MIM features of the Pre-Series II may prove more desirable? Anything else put the Pre-Series II Kimber over the TLE II?

If you enjoyed reading about "Duty Weapon: Kimber TLE II or /Pre-Series II Classic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
March 12, 2009, 08:15 AM
I used to value the Series I over the Series II, due to the absence of the firing pin safety and the subsequent reduction in parts.

But for a carry gun, I have decided that I actually *want* a firing pin safety. I have both Kimber Series II and Colt Series 80s in the EDC rotation, and mechanically I prefer the Kimber system to the Colt.

For that reason, I voted TLE (even tho I'd pick a different model).

HMMurdock
March 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
Which model would you buy and why not the TLE?

newmenu
March 12, 2009, 03:34 PM
Kimbers need a break in period of at least 500 rounds. so, buy the used one, save money on rounds and save from paying NIB price.

I also think the classic pre series are better looking. IMO

psp7304
March 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
I would stay away from any Series II Kimber for duty use. Here is some intersting reading.

Hilton Yam also does not recommend the Kimber Warrior or Desert Warrior models (even though they are not Series II) because of recent quality control issues.

http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html

Also read the threads in the Service 1911. There is a lot of good information.

http://www.10-8forums.com/

Vern Humphrey
March 12, 2009, 06:39 PM
My carry gun for about the last 15 years or so has been the Classic (pre MK II) and it's the best M1911 I've ever shot, bar none.

HMMurdock
March 15, 2009, 09:42 PM
I don't mean to get all Hollywood, but... LAPD SWAT uses the TLE II. Anyone heard of problems from them?

mljdeckard
March 15, 2009, 09:46 PM
I've neither had no observed any kind of failure due to MIM parts or the Schwartz. I bought my Custom II in 2003, I've never had a failure of any kind. I don't remember the last time I had a stoppage of any kind.

Remember with the TLE, you have the rail. Do you plan on using rail-mounted accessories? You will have to get special holsters to acommodate it.

mljdeckard
March 15, 2009, 09:47 PM
double-tap

HMMurdock
March 16, 2009, 02:05 PM
My current duty weapon employs a mounted light which has spoiled me, and that is another reason I'm considering the TLE/RL so strongly. It makes clearing a building much, much easier...

If you enjoyed reading about "Duty Weapon: Kimber TLE II or /Pre-Series II Classic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!