So Who All Is Waiting On The Boberg XR9?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 12, 2009, 11:09 AM
I for one. There is a thread in rifles about who's waiting on the RFB & ACR, and this is a good companion thread, since now the Boberg purports a "mid-2009 launch".

I was just thinking about getting a Rohrbaugh R9, as discussed in another thread, but the Boberg will put the Rohrbaugh to shame, if it exists and runs, so I'm going to hold off on the Rohrbaugh for now.

The Boberg has a functioning pistol video on the site now, so it's definitely intriguing me.

http://bobergengineering.com/video_10.wmv

Here's the main page:

http://bobergengineering.com/

Who cannot wait to get their hands on this engineering marvel? For roughly the same price as a Rohrbaugh, mind you.

Oh, here's the animation video of the operating mechanism:

http://bobergengineering.com/video2.wmv

If you enjoyed reading about "So Who All Is Waiting On The Boberg XR9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
March 12, 2009, 11:19 AM
RIGHT HERE! What a great concept. If it comes out at the previously spoken of price, and is reliable, it'll become as common as people carrying Kel-Tec pistols.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
ThisiswhatI'mhopin. :D

Nero_Atrum
March 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
I wasn't before. But I am now!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 12, 2009, 01:03 PM
It sure doesn't fit into any existing operating mechanism category - I guess if you had to cram it into one, it'd be a straight blowback.

With the fixed barrel, it should be an accurate little number.

But I wonder how they delay the slide operation during peak pressure? :confused:

Wait, I think I see how - not only is the mainspring being compressed, but the mechanism (arms) that grabs the next round and pull it backward for uploading is providing resistance which is ordinarily not there in a blowback or locked breech design. The weight of the entire cartridge is working against the slide - makes me think that it may only be safe to shoot with heavy cartridges - i.e. with heavy 147 gr bullets, perhaps? Works for me, as I like 147s.

mr2guru
March 12, 2009, 01:11 PM
Interesting. My interest is piqued for sure.

HammerBite
March 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
But I wonder how they delay the slide operation during peak pressure?
Rotating barrel locked breech.

Vern Humphrey
March 12, 2009, 06:34 PM
The world's most powerful 9mm pocket-sized pistol.
How can one 9X19 be anymore powerful than another 9X19?

The Wiry Irishman
March 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
How can one 9X19 be anymore powerful than another 9X19?

I think that's a reference to the longer barrel their unique action allows for.

Vern Humphrey
March 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
I think the guy who wrote that blurb is the same guy who wrote for Mateba, "And the aiming is fantastic!":rolleyes:

gvnwst
March 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
So Who All Is Waiting On The Boberg XR9?

Me, me, me! Actually, i was just discussing this pistol with a friend yesterday.....wondering when it is finally going to come out!

kokapelli
March 12, 2009, 08:12 PM
Isn't the Boberg technically a blowback action?

IMTHDUKE
March 12, 2009, 08:22 PM
What's the difference?
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/0886252450996500803943.share.jpg

HammerheadSSN663
March 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
maybe I'm not seeing something correctly but it looks like its blowing the shells right back in the shooter's face.

HammerBite
March 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
In the Boberg, the barrel extends back over the magazine well. Therefore the barrel can be longer than the barrel in a conventional pistol of the same overall length. A longer barrel results in higher velocity.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 13, 2009, 11:37 AM
Exactly.

Rotating barrel locked breech.

Oh, yeah. Duh. Says right there. Think I may have known that. Interesting, so it's got the RB-LB, and the additional mass of the cartridge being pulled to the rear, both of which can help reduce slide weight some.

So although it may be a bit cheesy, it's not inaccurate to say that it's "the world's most powerful POCKET-sized 9mm", because the extra bbl length does indeed add velocity, and therefore "power". Looks like you can add 1"-1.25" of bbl length over an equal-sized "standard" pistol.

Note there are two versions supposedly of this Boberg - the regular and the "shorty" - the shorty will easily rival the smallest pocket .380s. Not sure which one I'd be interested in - probably the regular version if it will fit into a jeans pocket with pocket holster easily.

yeti
March 13, 2009, 11:52 AM
Note there are two versions supposedly of this Boberg - the regular and the "shorty" - the shorty will easily rival the smallest pocket .380s. Not sure which one I'd be interested in - probably the regular version if it will fit into a jeans pocket with pocket holster easily.

The Boberg XR9-Shorty

Some people have already requested a chopped down version of the XR9. My friend Tyler doctored this up. It shows a 3.3" barrel on a 5.0" long gun. If I could fit a slide spring in there at all( :eek: ), another option would be a 3.1" barrel on a 4.8" long gun. This will take some R&D. A 3.1" barrel should be able to deliver 460 ft-lbs with Cor-Bon PowrBall(tm).

Doesn't sound like the 'shorty' is quite ready for production, yet.:rolleyes:

XNavyflyer
March 13, 2009, 12:22 PM
What is the "projected" price of this interesting little pistol?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 13, 2009, 03:56 PM
Supposedly, "under $1,000".

GP100
March 14, 2009, 01:55 AM
$999.99 is under $1000......

Kind of Blued
March 14, 2009, 02:39 AM
I'd love one, specifically the non-shorty version.

I carry a Kahr PM9 IWB when I can't get away with anything else, and the only thing I don't like about it is its short 3" barrel. An extra 1+" does a LOT for a cartridge like the 9mm, especially with the +Ps that I carry.

Hell, I'd even be interested in a "full-size". It might be the size of a Kahr K9/CW9 (still a nice, compact single-stack 9mm), but the barrel could be somewhere between 5-6", and that'd be pretty rad.

...or a beefed-up 10mm model. :)

Kind of Blued
March 14, 2009, 03:09 AM
Also, in comparison to the PM9, it holds one more round without adding any height. That's weird, but awesome.

The triggerguard seems to be cut really high as well, which is nice. I keep Pearce Extensions on my PM9 mags, but if I can have a shorter gun, with one more round, and a longer barrel, I'm all for it.

It sounds to good to be true. The specs might have you believe that they're just making the 9mm round smaller instead of making the gun smaller. :)

Dirtpile
March 14, 2009, 06:05 AM
This is the first truly new pistol design concept in a long time and a very interesting one at that. But I think I'll wait to see if they'll hold up before I buy one.

HammerBite
March 14, 2009, 07:00 AM
While I applaud the ability to put in a longer barrel than possible in a same-sized conventional pistol, I am even more intrigued by the possibility of better reliability than conventional pistols.

There is nothing critical about the magazine; the tong just yanks the cartridge out. Then the cartridge lifter elevates the cartridge into position for an almost straight shot into the chamber. There should be no feed ramp problems. I would be surprised if there were any feeding problems with this pistol.

ccoorreeyy
March 14, 2009, 03:32 PM
I just herd from Arne. He brought Great news! "The good news is that production tooling is currently being configured. Even more good news is that production models are likely to be available this July." and "Our current price target is $849 MSRP" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait.

VA27
March 15, 2009, 12:32 AM
Ok, I'm in.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 15, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hammerbite:

There is nothing critical about the magazine; the tong just yanks the cartridge out. Then the cartridge lifter elevates the cartridge into position for an almost straight shot into the chamber. There should be no feed ramp problems. I would be surprised if there were any feeding problems with this pistol.

Indeed; excellent point!

corey:

I just herd from Arne. He brought Great news! "The good news is that production tooling is currently being configured. Even more good news is that production models are likely to be available this July." and "Our current price target is $849 MSRP" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait.

Outstanding! :)

metallic
March 15, 2009, 04:43 PM
$849 is a lot for a pocket pistol! But that is one sweet handgun.

denfoote
March 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this gun is unsymmetrically unseemly???

HisSoldier
March 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
I'll pay that much if the frame is stainless, I won't pay near that for an aluminum framed gun. In the photo's the frame looks like "alloy". :rolleyes:

Coronach
March 16, 2009, 12:14 AM
The Boberg XR9-Shorty

Some people have already requested a chopped down version of the XR9. My friend Tyler doctored this up. It shows a 3.3" barrel on a 5.0" long gun. If I could fit a slide spring in there at all( ), another option would be a 3.1" barrel on a 4.8" long gun. This will take some R&D. A 3.1" barrel should be able to deliver 460 ft-lbs with Cor-Bon PowrBall(tm).

Doesn't sound like the 'shorty' is quite ready for production, yet.Closer than that quote would lead one to believe. There is a video of the shorty being fired. So, they obviously fit something in there. ;)

Mike

sm
March 16, 2009, 01:02 AM
I can wait.
Heck I just now heard about this new-n-fangled Boberg XR9.

I for sure can wait if this sucker has a MSRP of "under $1000".

Err...sorry, but I ain't impressed.
I'd rather have a OLDer Colt Detective Special, S&W J frame or K frame, S&W 3913... Ruger Six Series, Ruger SP101...Beretta 70s series...etc.

*curmudgeon*

Deus Machina
March 16, 2009, 02:34 AM
Interesting little thing. Once they're out, I might pick one up. Used.

Am I the only one that think that, assuming the feed system works out well, that the ejection port on that might cause problems? I understand the front needs to be stepped like that to feed properly, but the upper rear seems shorter than the brass, which looks to force the spent casing out the side.

Side ejection is fine, for us righties, but then they could just widen the port's side and do away with the top part of the opening altogether.

Highland Ranger
March 23, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hmmm . . . . was looking at picking up a ROhrbaugh if I could find one . . . maybe I should wait. Any comments from the Rohrbaugh fans?

REB
March 23, 2009, 02:37 PM
It defiantly does have some interesting advantages. The rotating barrel locking mechanism and the recoil spring on the barrel lowers the bore axis which should help handling. The loading mechanism should make it indifferent to bullet shape with it being basically feed straight into the chamber. The longer barrel with a shorter action is defiantly a big plus. A,19.5 oz, for what I am assuming is an alloy frame, 7+1 9mm with a 4.2" barrel and only 5.2" long defiantly has my attention.

I am very interested even at the current estimated price but it will have to prove itself to be reliable before I buy one.

CypherNinja
March 25, 2009, 08:26 PM
$850 MSRP?!?!

That's the last piece, then. I'm IN.

Much lower than I was expecting (~1000-1200).

ABBOBERG: I will have a check waiting by July, latest. :D

logical
April 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hmmm . . . . was looking at picking up a ROhrbaugh if I could find one . . . maybe I should wait. Any comments from the Rohrbaugh fans?It (should it ever come to exist) is considerably heavier, longer and fatter than a Rohrbaugh. I pocket carry the Rohrbaugh and couldn't see switching to something even bigger. Sure, +P capability would be nice, but if I'm going bigger there are already options out there. I personally think the development of a reliable shorty version that will handle +P rounds is not going to happen...there just isn't enough room for enough spring to handle that kind of force for more than a few rounds. That very issue is what limits the much shorter Rohrbaugh to standard 9mm. They make a big deal of it being shorter than a compact Glock...OK, fine, good luck getting the Glock guys to switch to a $1000 no-name gun.

Madcap_Magician
April 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
I look forward to this with great interest. If it works.

KONY
April 10, 2009, 07:59 PM
Is the rail really necessary on a piece like this? :confused:

smirnoff a
April 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
I am all about unique guns - this will be an addition to my collection.

bubbameat
April 13, 2009, 09:28 AM
KONY, I think the concept around the rail is that due to the full size power capability, it is thought of as a full sized pistol replacement.

What would work nicely for me is the option to have available higher capacity mags so you have the option of expanding your available rounds. I almost think this is a must if you are going to challenge larger frames.

earlthegoat2
April 13, 2009, 04:40 PM
This is definitely one of those situations where I am going to stay back and wait for the recalls to blow over first or wait and see if the company stands a chance at sticking around after this product makes or breaks them.

Vern Humphrey
April 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm with you. In my time, I've seen dozens of new, super-cool handguns come and go -- often failing in use, and the company collapsing.

Ain't common sense wonderful?

jocko
April 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
like a lot more moving parts in such a tiny gun, that everything must be perfectly timed or else??

Not knocking it but I will sit back on this one and watch if for a year, as I have a PM9 slighly bigger but It works every time and much much simpler made to.
good luck to boberg though, alwyas room for a good gun, but the jury is way way out on this one. It's not like Ruger who might put out a bad gun but has the backing to make it right, This could break boberg if it hits the market and it is all wrong. Prototypes always work great as they are totally hand made, so perfect fitting is easyily done. real life production could be another thing.

2RCO
April 13, 2009, 07:54 PM
I got put on the mailing list a couple months ago.

I'd gladly buy one of each -regular and shorty.

I'd love to be one of their first customers.

If you enjoyed reading about "So Who All Is Waiting On The Boberg XR9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!