Best Buy .308 rifle

PDA

rogerjames
March 13, 2009, 08:47 PM
OK. I am not a hunter. Mostly a handgunner, but becomming a gun fanatic and want to have one of each. I plan on joining skeet/trap club in the near future. In the mean time... I have added AK for SHTF. Would like to add reliable/cost efficient .308 to the arsenal. Any recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Buy .308 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
March 13, 2009, 08:50 PM
What do you intend to do with the rifle? Scope it and hunt? Kill paper? Other?

browningguy
March 13, 2009, 08:52 PM
Best buy for a bolt action is probably a Savage with Accutrigger. Also decent are Howa and Tikka for a mid-priced gun. The Mossberg has had surprisingly good revies for a very inexpensive rifle.

rogerjames
March 13, 2009, 08:56 PM
Scope it! Would appreciate recommendation on scope also. I anticipate this to serve several purposes. I hope this to be a long range SHTF rifle, but also a hunting rifle as I expand my horizons. That being said... it will not be an active weapon that needs to withstand frequent abuse.

sohcgt2
March 13, 2009, 09:11 PM
Savage 12fv or 10fp, everyone has opinions about scopes, get the best scope you can afford from the major mfg of your choice.

c5_nc
March 13, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have a Remington 700P which is always an excellent choice. You can get 700 Varmints that have the same barrelled action for $525-550 on sale, add a nice stock later, or get a takeoff stock to make your own 700P. The best buy is probalby the Savage 10FP... $550. The stock is not perfect. They have a new version for $150 more that includes a Accustock and muzzle brake. I have not really seen a review of it yet, but if they made inprovements to the feel of the stock, and madeit firmer (the 10fp stock would touch barrell some) it is probably an excellent buy. On the entry level side a Mossberg ATA I think is a little under $300 (?), the Stevens is probably the best budget buy, with a cost in the low $300s.

lipadj46
March 13, 2009, 09:51 PM
Saiga .308 is a good buy for a semi auto.

FSJeeper
March 13, 2009, 10:08 PM
Best buy in a bolt action .308, Tikka T3

Best buy in a semi .308 and ability to buy spares and magazines cheap, FN FAL

Best buy in semi .308 disregarding magazine and parts costs, Saiga .308.

Best overall moderately priced .308, M1A.

Redneck with a 40
March 13, 2009, 10:11 PM
I like my Remington 700 SPS Tactical, of course I got one hell of a deal, $500 with Nikon Pro-Staff scope mounted and zero'd.:D I bought it used, but you can't tell its used, i.e its immaculate.:)

BENELLIMONTE
March 13, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have to agree with FSJEEPER that the TIKKA T3 is a best buy in 308 or any other caliber made.

rogerjames
March 13, 2009, 10:21 PM
Best buy in a bolt action .308, Tikka T3

Best buy in a semi .308 and ability to buy spares and magazines cheap, FN FAL

Best buy in semi .308 disregarding magazine and parts costs, Saiga .308.

Best overall moderately priced .308, M1A.

I was thinking more along the lines of bolt action... but what is the capacity on a semi-auto? I don't want to sacrifice accuracy. I am not looking for the cheapest rifle either. I am looking for a rifle that has longevity, accuracy, and value. Has to be reputable, and reliable, not the best of the best.
I would say best value under $700. BTW, I am right handed, but "left-eyed" so I shoot rifles left handed.

benzy2
March 13, 2009, 10:40 PM
I love CZ 550 rifles. The Tikka is decent as well. Savage is easy to find and has a lot of really good shooters. I never got into Remington. You listen to enough Savage guys and you would think today's Remingtons couldn't hit a barn. I'm not so sure how much of this is true and I'm sure a ton of people will jump in on how great the current 700 line is. I think from an accuracy point the Savage has the best odds of a current rifle at punching tiny groups. The CZ certainly has the best factory trigger I have ever tried short of an Anschutz top of the line 2 stage.

codybrown
March 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
Another vote for the Remington SPS tactical. I got $540 into mine, and really like it. Here's a review:
https://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

Gator 23
March 13, 2009, 11:16 PM
Howa with a synthetic hogue stock - about $430 (buds guns online). Good quality, accurate, and affordable. Made in Japan. Howa only makes right hand bolts though. CZ is a good value. Just bought a CZ youth .22 bolt for my daughter...great quality as well at a very good price. CZs are made in the Czech Republic. I plan to add a few more CZs to the safe. The good thing about a CZ is they have left hand bolt models. Remington 700s are great though...prefer their laminate or walnut stock varieties which cost a little more than the SPS models which have some type of plastic/composite stock. Remington 700s are typically very accurate out of the box and have left hand models too...never met a sniper who bad mouthed a Remington 700.

rogerjames
March 13, 2009, 11:23 PM
How does the Tikka T3 compare to the Remingtom SPS? Thanks for all the opinions fellas!

Redneck with a 40
March 13, 2009, 11:46 PM
I like the hogue stock on my Remmy 700, its got a rubbery, grippy feel to it. It has a really nice, cushy recoil pad on it as well.

rangerruck
March 14, 2009, 12:41 AM
cost effective? plenty to choose from really, right now, the marlins are really looking to be the tops of the overall low end rifles. xl7 is the long actions, and the xs7's will be the short actions; 243, 308, and 7.08's. Then you have the tried and true Savage or Stevens, then a Howa, then proly a mossberg, would do just fine. I am not big on the newest low end remmy's though for a hunting rig, they are plenty accurate. I actually like the models before , the 710's , a perfectly bland, yet grippy/lumpy stock, tailor made for painting to taste...

sarduy
March 14, 2009, 12:42 AM
steave 200

Adammneal
March 14, 2009, 05:45 AM
I'd check out a savage 10fp. One of the best bang for your buck rifle for what you are looking to do. I love mine

FSJeeper
March 14, 2009, 11:55 AM
OK, if it is a bolt action you want, lots of choices.

Last year I wanted the best value .308 bolt rifle to back up my M1A's. I did a lot of research and shopping. I own many other rifles including custom winchester mod. 70's and CZ's.

The Tikka T-3 performs just as well right out of the box as my $4000+ custom rifles. Excellent trigger, stock is perfect, buttermilk smooth action, very accurate with factory ammo. 1 moa. I have no need to work up a load for it or do anything else to it.

I suggest you handle the various rifles in the $500 price range and pick the one that feels "right" for you.

UnTainted
March 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
I think the best buy, though not the cheapest buy, is the CZ.

they are half the price of top quality rifles, and I can not tell the differencde between them and a Sako, for instance. They are awesome guns, and have a set trigger which is a fan-freakin'-tastic trigger.

KzoneAL
March 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
Tikka T3 Lite syn/blue 479.00 .Has an adj 2-4lb trigger that breaks like glass
and these guns are super accurate.There isnt a better gun in that price range.

AKElroy
March 14, 2009, 03:26 PM
How cheap? Middle of the road budget = Savage w/ accutrigger. Dirt cheap = NEF handi-rifle scoped combo. Both are far more accurate than thier prices suggest.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 14, 2009, 03:26 PM
It's an often asked question in all calibers, but the best buy for turnbolts usually turn into this list (roughly in order):

1. Savage
2. Howa
3. Tikka (tie)
3. CZ (tie)
3. Vanguard (tie)

Yes, I know Howa and Vanguard are the same, but their value is not, since the Vanguards cost more. The CZ 550 is the nicest of that lot, but a tad more too. There are many many flavors of Savage in .308 win, including several great-value "police" models - are you wanting a heavy benchrese rifle, a mid-weight 'tactical' rifle, lightweight hunting rifle, what?

Then, you have the lower ends, so probably equally good values, but less nice guns:

1. Stevens 200
2. Mossberg 100ATR (tie)
2. Marlin XL7 (tie)

Then, super economy:
1. NEF (tie)
1. Rossi (tie)

Water-Man
March 14, 2009, 03:47 PM
TIKKA T3. IMO the best value on the market.

Water-Man
March 14, 2009, 03:49 PM
Roughly in order of what?

stalkingbear
March 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
The Marlin XS-7 is now available in .308 and is an astounding buy when you consider how well they shoot for 300$. I bought 1 for a buddy of mine as an gift, and wound up liking it so much I bought another 1 for an beater/loaner rifle.

red_cedar
March 14, 2009, 07:15 PM
saiga 308 is your best buy. There is one for sale now. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=37019

rogerjames
March 14, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice fellas. Based on price, out the box accuracy, trigger, etc.... I think I am leaning towards the Tikka T3. Any last minute objections?

Pat4x4
March 15, 2009, 12:27 AM
sure like my 700 sps tactical for the money.. I also had the tikka in 223 and was nice.. but I like the remmy better

c5_nc
March 15, 2009, 12:28 AM
You may want to read through the Snipercentral review of the rifles. Even the entry level Rem 700s (SPS Tactical and SPS Varmint), ~$550 shot tighter groups than the $1300 Tikka T3 Tactical. The Savage 10FP is great also, and the FNs are really nice.

codybrown
March 15, 2009, 02:28 PM
Read the review:
https://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

NELSONs02
March 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
You can get a weatherby for the same price as a tikka and imo its a better rifle, just as accurate too.

Mp7
March 15, 2009, 02:48 PM
Does any1 have alink to a store that
still sells Ishapore 2As for cheap?

a sturdy Enfield in .308
(dunno if accuracy would suffice.)

Schleprok62
March 15, 2009, 02:57 PM
For the cost of a Tikka, you could buy the Marlin XS-7, very decent glass, and a whole bunch of ammo and still have enough left over to by a nice plinkin' 22 and ammo for it... The XS-7 has the adjustable trigger very similar to the Savage Accutrigger. Accuracy is spot on with the Stevens 200's as well... and the Stevens will run with the big dogs in the off the shelf accuracy arena...

I'm waiting for my favorite dealer to get one in 7mm-08 for me...

Cheers...

Frankl03
March 15, 2009, 04:40 PM
I purchased a FNH PBR with a 20 inch fluted barrel for $699 from CDNN. I put a Harris bipod on it and a Nikon Buckmaster scope. Couldn't be more happy. Great rifle very capable of much better accuracy than I am.

Hostile Amish
March 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
Best Buy doesn't sell .308 rifles. :?:

rogerjames
March 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
OK, now you guys have me rethinking the Tikka :scrutiny: Thanks for snipercentral link. Guess I will do a little more research. How many of these can be had for lefty? I am right handed but left eye dominant :banghead:

rogerjames
March 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
OK, another question. I am right handed but left eye dominant so I am forced to shoot rifle left handed. There are some left handed models by Tikka and Savage. For a bolt action rifle, how necessary is it to have a left handed model? I am sure that in a standing position, (not using bench or rest) it would be more difficult to work the bolt quickly.

Sir Aardvark
March 17, 2009, 12:46 AM
CDNN has new FN Patrol Bolt Rifles available in .308 for $599.99!
These generally go for over $1,000.00

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

These are off-the-shelf sub-MOA rifles.

These are available in 18", 20", 22", and 24" versions and come with a Hogue Full-length aluminum-bedded stock.

Download CDNN's catalog and give them a call to see what is still available.

Sniper Central has a review of a PBR:

http://www.snipercentral.com/pbr.htm

robctwo
March 17, 2009, 11:10 AM
I have the .308 Savage 10FP with 20" barrel, and a .308 Browning BAR Stalker semi auto. The 10FP shoots better off the bench, but weighs a lot more. The BAR carries better, and has faster follow up shots for hunting. I would not get the heavy barrel for a hunting situation if I were going to be doing any walking.

rogerjames
March 17, 2009, 05:37 PM
CDNN has new FN Patrol Bolt Rifles available in .308 for $599.99!
These generally go for over $1,000.00

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

These are off-the-shelf sub-MOA rifles.

These are available in 18", 20", 22", and 24" versions and come with a Hogue Full-length aluminum-bedded stock.

Download CDNN's catalog and give them a call to see what is still available.

Sniper Central has a review of a PBR:

http://www.snipercentral.com/pbr.htm

Sir Aardvark, thanks for the info. and the links. When I go to the CDNN site, it is only for accessories. How do you find the firearms and firearm prices? Is this info. only available over the phone?

I have the .308 Savage 10FP with 20" barrel, and a .308 Browning BAR Stalker semi auto. The 10FP shoots better off the bench, but weighs a lot more. The BAR carries better, and has faster follow up shots for hunting. I would not get the heavy barrel for a hunting situation if I were going to be doing any walking.
Rob, the 10FP has been near the top of my list, but it is not offered in lefty. Not sure if this would prevent me from choosing a bolt action though. I am considering a couple of the other Savage models that are offered in lefty.

Marcus5aurelius
March 17, 2009, 05:49 PM
Savage fp10 no doubt in my mind is the best there is for a reasonable price.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 17, 2009, 07:00 PM
When I go to the CDNN site, it is only for accessories. How do you find the firearms and firearm prices? Is this info. only available over the phone?

Ordinarily, you would click on "Download Catalog", and then click again on the long link to download the catalog, and it would open the catalog in PDF format, after about a minute. But now, every time I try it, it says in Adobe: "File is Damaged and Cannot be repaired" - anyone else get that now for the CDNN catalog?

Reid73
March 17, 2009, 07:29 PM
now you guys have me rethinking the TikkaIt's your money and you should please yourself, but within the limits of your budget I don't think you will do better than a T3.

illustratedmind
March 17, 2009, 07:44 PM
Forget the .308. It never has and never will (in my opinion) been/be equal the venerable thirty ought six round. Don't know what you're hunting, but if it's Mule deer or bigger, and the range is 150 to 200 yds, you're probably going to need an even bigger round. I bought a surplus 1917 Rock Island built Enfield and had it bored out to a 308 Norma Magnum. 2850 fps.

rogerjames
March 17, 2009, 08:05 PM
Forget the .308. It never has and never will (in my opinion) been/be equal the venerable thirty ought six round. Don't know what you're hunting, but if it's Mule deer or bigger, and the range is 150 to 200 yds, you're probably going to need an even bigger round. I bought a surplus 1917 Rock Island built Enfield and had it bored out to a 308 Norma Magnum. 2850 fps.

My first rifle is an AK. At the range the other day... met a guy sighting in a 330 magnum. Spoke to him about about multiple rifles and ballistics as he owns multiple rifles in most ballistics. He reported that he had several rifles in 30-06 and .308 and that .308 was a much more accurate round. I did some research and determined in my own educated way... that .308 should be my first bolt action. Best combination of stopping power, accuracy, affordability, IMO

Guero4179
March 17, 2009, 08:09 PM
Ditch the AK and get a Savage,FN,Remington or Tikka

rogerjames
March 17, 2009, 08:15 PM
Ditch the AK and get a Savage 10FP with accutrigger.
And give up 26 rounds? :uhoh: Want both!

axeman_g
March 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
I just went through this exercise. I was looking for a .308 bolt, more tactical then hunter, i prefered a med to heavy barrel in 20" aprox length. I was looking for mag fed, and a pillared stock. I looked at the Rem 700 SPS, and LTR, Tika T3, Savage 10fp and Weatherby, I then fell for a FN SBR XP, it had all the features i wanted, the proven beyond any shadow of a doubt most reliable action (Win 70) and a great deal at $700. You can order them direct from CDNN. A fantastic bargain.

FSJeeper
March 17, 2009, 09:40 PM
I still suggest you go handle the weapons you are interested in at a gun show or shop. There are lots of excellent choices. I have shot most of them, I have high end Winchester Mod. 70's and other nice rifles, and in my opinion, the Tikka T3 is still the best value. Pick one up, shold it, aim it, try the action and trigger, and compare it to the rest of them. Many will find the Tikka T3 the best value for the money.

Oh, and I am a left handed shooter and they come in left handed models for the same price as the right hand.

The FN at CDNN is one hell of a bargain, but the action is not as smooth and the trigger not even close to the Tikka T3 unless you spend money or tune the Mod 70 action yourself. They are not as accurate without handloading. I do love the Mauser type control round feeding it has though.

PinoyInFL
March 17, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have a Rem 700 LTR 308 and love it. But I like my Tikka T3 Varmint .223 better. Both are scoped with a Nikon Buckmaster scope.

axeman_g
March 17, 2009, 10:15 PM
I have to argue the trigger comment... the FNs trigger is as nice or nicer then the 2 T3s I tried when I bought the gun. Trigger is loonger, but crisp when breaks. I found the T3 trigger to be short, but stiff. Plus the FN trigger can be adjusted yourself in minutes.
The action is smoothing with work and I think any initial roughness is due to finish type, typical tactical finish versus blueing or stainless.

But... we all want people to buy what we have purchased to validate our own decisions. FN IS THE BEST!!!

By the way, you discuss your hand/eye dominance issue. I am a lefty and I shoot all right handed guns, shotties, semis and bolts. I even use right handed pool cues over left handed ones. With left eye dominance, you should be fine, in a bench or bipod shooting position, keep your right hand on the rear stock, slightly behind stock to offer more stability and move it only to operate the bolt, actually can be done very rapidly. Offhand, I just take my left hand over the action, behind scope, and cycle the action, keeping my right hand locked on the forend. Not great, but if I need speed loading, I have the wrong club in my hand for the shot.

Zak Smith
March 18, 2009, 01:10 AM
Tikka T3, best for the money. They're like $500.

Reid73
March 18, 2009, 10:07 AM
He reported that he had several rifles in 30-06 and .308 and that .308 was a much more accurate round.Well, I also have both, and that hasn't been my experience.

While the .308 is probably more inherently accurate in most rifles, it is not "much more accurate"; the difference is less than the .30/06's increased power relative to the .308 (which is not a lot). And with tuned handloads most .30/06's can be just as accurate as .308's, it just takes a little more time and effort.

we all want people to buy what we have purchased to validate our own decisionsAbsolutely.

aka108
March 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
My beater 308 cost less than 60 bucks. Bought a 98K with a sewer pipe barrel and cracked stock for 35 or 40 dollars. Repaired the stock and installed a new surplus Israli barrel chambered in 308. Checked the headspace and the result was a very decent shooter. Not a prize to look at but that wasn't the intent.

benzy2
March 18, 2009, 01:30 PM
If you like the 10 FP but want left handed why not go 12 FVL? basic difference is a few inches of barrel and an extra sling swivel. If you really want a shorter barrel you can always have it cut down pretty cheap. From a pure on target performance point of view you are hard pressed to beat a Savage. It isn't the nicest all around rifle but it puts those bullets into tiny groups. The trigger is pretty good to. For my money it is hard to beat the 12FV. The others are great too but bang for your buck I don't see how you can pass on Savage.

axeman_g
March 18, 2009, 02:22 PM
by the way.. I forgot this in my other posts.

Savage makes the 10FLCP... lefty version of the 10FP for LE.
http://www.savagearms.com/10flcp.htm

rogerjames
March 18, 2009, 07:07 PM
If you like the 10 FP but want left handed why not go 12 FVL? basic difference is a few inches of barrel and an extra sling swivel. If you really want a shorter barrel you can always have it cut down pretty cheap. From a pure on target performance point of view you are hard pressed to beat a Savage. It isn't the nicest all around rifle but it puts those bullets into tiny groups. The trigger is pretty good to. For my money it is hard to beat the 12FV. The others are great too but bang for your buck I don't see how you can pass on Savage.

How much does barrel length affect accuracy? Snipercentral stated that 20" may be optimum length for .308 for accuracy, but at the expense of a little loss of velocity. It is counter-intuitive to me how a 20" barrel could be more accurate than 24".

by the way.. I forgot this in my other posts.

Savage makes the 10FLCP... lefty version of the 10FP for LE.
http://www.savagearms.com/10flcp.htm

Thanks Axeman. I saw that, but it is about $150 more because it also includes the AccuStock. I figure that that is something I could add later if I wanted, but prefer to save the $$ for now.

Zak Smith
March 18, 2009, 07:40 PM
How much does barrel length affect accuracy? Snipercentral stated that 20" may be optimum length for .308 for accuracy, but at the expense of a little loss of velocity. It is counter-intuitive to me how a 20" barrel could be more accurate than 24".
Mechanical accuracy in theory has to do with barrel stiffness (and a short/thick barrel is stiffer than a long/skinny barrel). On the other hand, long-range misses are usually due to windage error and range estimation error, both of which are helped by more velocity, which comes from more barrel length. It's been my experience that you can get long, skinny barrels to shoot great (quarter MOA) as long as they are made from a quality blank and they were chambered true and put on an accurate action.

-z

rogerjames
March 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
Mechanical accuracy in theory has to do with barrel stiffness (and a short/thick barrel is stiffer than a long/skinny barrel). On the other hand, long-range misses are usually due to windage error and range estimation error, both of which are helped by more velocity, which comes from more barrel length. It's been my experience that you can get long, skinny barrels to shoot great (quarter MOA) as long as they are made from a quality blank and they were chambered true and put on an accurate action.

Ahh Haa! That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

benzy2
March 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
In theory more barrel length makes for a less accurate rifle but it certainly seems as said that the quality of the barrel and chambering have far more to do with the accuracy than the actual length. As also noted a longer barrel tends to allow higher velocities, with appropriate powders. The faster a bullet is pushed the less they drift in the wind. If you are perfect at reading the wind it makes no difference as you can adjust for the wind perfectly. In reality a faster bullet makes up for a person who has more trouble reading wind, especially at longer ranges. In reality to those of us who are even great but not quite amazing shooters I doubt you notice much difference from either barrel. If you are hauling it around the shorter barrel tends to be easier to carry. That is really the big thing I look at and in your case it doesn't sound like it will be hiked around much so it wouldn't much matter.

Big Daddy Grim
March 18, 2009, 08:35 PM
Don't forget CZ I love those and they are very accurate.

axeman_g
March 18, 2009, 08:35 PM
IIRC, you lose about 42 fps for every inch of barrel from a .308 24". Basically negligible, power loss is overdone by inherent accuracy of the 20" barrel. The 20" especially a heavy or med-heavy barrel has less whip in it then a 24" barrel, especially in the more powerful .30+ calibers.

I personally cannot even fathom toting around a 24" heavy, those things way a ton.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Buy .308 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!