S&W .38 cal help please

PDA

stecha
March 13, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone.

I have recently come into a S&W .38 cal top break pistol. I have been all over net trying to find out info on it. The year, exact make model. value.

the serial# reads 457796, 6in barrel, 6 shot top break

thank you
steve

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .38 cal help please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
March 13, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry if you caught this in mid-edit; had a computer glitch.

I first thought "there weren't any" as S&W top break small frame .38s were all 5 shot, but then I remembered the New Model No. 3 which was made in .38 S&W, .38-40, and the old .38-44, as well as other calibers. But the NM No.3 serials never went anywhere near that high.

So, please provide a better description or a photo.

JIm

stecha
March 13, 2009, 06:30 PM
I will take a picture here shortly and post them for you. I have found some info. I believe this is a .38 double action 4th model 8 inch barrel.
Manufactured- 1895-1909
Serial# - 322,701- 539,000
Pivoting spring-type cylinder stop.Cylinder has conventional, longer flutes and only one set of stop notches. Reverse curved trigger guard below bow. Front sight pinned into barrel. 3, 31/2, 6, 8, 10 inch barrel lengths.

My serial number falls in with above standard. what do you think? Am on the right track?

Thank You
steve

Jim Watson
March 13, 2009, 11:31 PM
Count chambers. That series of guns were five-shooters. Otherwise, a long barrel in good condition is not common and is worth a bit of money.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .38 cal help please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!