Do you worry about others knowing how many guns you have?

PDA

AKElroy
March 14, 2009, 01:04 PM
My name is not Elroy, but I do own AK's. Like many in this forum, I own a number of guns and I stock a lot of ammo. Even though all of my guns were legally acquired and are perfectly legal, most uninformed citizens would consider this an "arsenal", because, well, it is. None of my neighbors know anything about my shooting hobby, because I am careful to hide it. When I go the range, I load the truck in the garage. When we have others over, all guns & equipment are out of sight. I am not ashamed of my hobby, I am just not willing to open the door to thieves or nervous officials. Am I a poor advocate?---Am I being paranoid? I am very active politically for RKBA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you worry about others knowing how many guns you have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
March 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
To each his own. Without being too critical I would have to say that, yes, you are being a poor advocate. Guns are tools and when they are treated in some mysterious way they become something else. You are treating your guns as something mystical, dangerous, and as things that need to be hidden.

Regarding the issue of theft; do you treat everything you own so secretively? Where do you keep your other tools? Are they only loaded into your truck in the garage too? How about your truck itself? It's probably just as valuable as your guns. Do you keep it down the street in a secure storage facility and only get into it and drive it under the cover of darkness?

In the end though, they are your property and even if you wanted to keep them stashed at the bottom of the ocean that's your business.

22-rimfire
March 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
Once my house was burglarized while I was home. The perp(s) obviously had been watching me and my habits. They also liked photographic equipment and knew precisely where I kept it (handy place as I used it often). One morning at 3:00 AM I hear my dogs barking and growling; I wake up and wander out into the rest of the house and see nothing out of order. Went back to bed. Next morning, I discoveded that a large portion of my camera equipment had been stolen. It took under one minute to accomplish and I was home.

To answer your question, I believe it is always a good idea not to advertise high value items when moving them in and out of your home. It has nothing to do with your feelings about the 2nd Amendment and the Bill of Rights.

Shung
March 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
I only told them about a % of my things..

as you said, if I was to told them I have 5 AR, + AK + Sig550 + etc etc etc.. they would think I am some insane gun nut... (well, I am a very sane gun actually)

the most of them know I have guns, but have no idea of how many and what kind...

earlthegoat2
March 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
Definitely not a good idea to advertise you have anything of value especially guns since they retain their value so well unlike consumer electronics which you should also go to great lengths to hide. Im not being paranoid, just trying to lessen the odds of having to deal with situations.

JeffDilla
March 14, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't blame you one bit.

MaterDei
March 14, 2009, 01:24 PM
We're talking about guns, not camera equipment. I would hope that you store your guns in such a manner that they could not be stolen from your house, while you were home, in under a minute. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that your camera equipment is more secure too, now that you've been victimized.

The bottom line for me is that I think that the need to demystify firearms to the general sheeple population is important. It is one of the most effective things we as gun owners can do for our 'cause'. If that means slightly increasing the likely hood that some of my guns might be stolen some day then so be it.

Besides, I shoot on my own property almost exclusively so hiding the fact I have firearms, even if I wanted to, would not be very possible.

mongo4567
March 14, 2009, 01:25 PM
I live on a quiet street. I have a project car in my garage or I would load my guns into the car in there. I try not to carry my firearms to the car when anyone is around (driving by or working in the yard). My coworkers know that I am a collector and shooter, but most of them are too. I think it is wise not to advertise.

b-man
March 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
Out of sight out of mind! We just recently bought a flat screen TV after assembeling shredded the box and put it the garbage so nobody could see it!Paranoid? Maybe! But why should other people know what I have!

Ben Shepherd
March 14, 2009, 01:30 PM
AKElroy-

You have valid concerns. As a boy my father did like you do, and outside the circle of family and close friends, no one knew about the guns.

But here's the decision I came to years ago. I won't do it that way. It's like sneaking out behind the barn when you're sixteen to smoke. Bull. I won't do it that way.

I don't advertize it when I load up for a range trip, but I don't act like I'm smuggling meth either. And as an active hunter ed/NRA instructor/range officer for the last several years putting 500-1000 students per year through classes, I guess A LOT of folks know/assume I have guns.

I have high quality locks on the house, high end RSC's, and a very alert dog. Just reasonable measures. If someone wants my/your guns, they can get them, it just matters how much time they're willing to invest and how much risk they're willing to take to complete the theft.

On the plus side-
Because I am known as a "gun guy", do you know how many people I've helped steer in the right direction. I honestly don't know, but it's a bunch.

b-man
March 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
I have alot of gun's at home, but nobody need's to know how many or what kind.

AKElroy
March 14, 2009, 01:44 PM
How about your truck itself? It's probably just as valuable as your guns. Do you keep it down the street in a secure storage facility and only get into it and drive it under the cover of darkness?

No, but having had a car stolen out of the driveway it sleeps in the garage. When I park it at work, I make sure nothing of value is in plain sight; IE, laptop, GPS, I-Pod. Guess I'm paranoid about that stuff as well. Call me silly, but I also lock it, and keep the keys in my pocket. ---It's a 1 year old Tundra crewmax 4X4, loaded, and for the record, it is not worth a fraction of the guns.

Lightninstrike
March 14, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't make a secret of the fact that I own and shoot guns. I do not list them all anywhere public, including this forum, for the very reasons some folks have quoted above. Likewise I do not advertise the presence of other valuables that may reside in my home. When I recently disposed of some cardboard boxes that had contained some ammunition I removed the shipping tags that had my name and address on it before dumping the boxes at the recycling center. For that matter I shred any document with sensitive info (account numbers, SSN, etc.) before consigning to the trash.

Are you paranoid? Not in my book, just cautious. A poor advocate? Not in my book, but maybe a lukewarm one only because you hide the fact that you are a gun owner. I agree with comments above that guns are tools. However, I do not treat them with the same level of security as I do my hacksaw. My hacksaw and Craftsman wrench set do not have their own safe. :):)

RP88
March 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
I 'advertise' to my friends, and that may be it. I don't sit around in the middle of a public place and be like "Yea, my gun collection is worth a hefty _____ dollars." There are pics of me and my guns on my myspace, but that picture folder, along with everything else that is no one else's business, is kept private so that some stalker can't just wander about my page and see them and be like 'hey, I went to high school with him. I know where he lives still'.

I don't mind sharing pics and lists of my firearms here because I've not posted any personal info. I'd doubt anyone here would know me, so it's not something I have to feel concerned over.

kingpin008
March 14, 2009, 01:54 PM
To each his own. Without being too critical I would have to say that, yes, you are being a poor advocate. Guns are tools and when they are treated in some mysterious way they become something else. You are treating your guns as something mystical, dangerous, and as things that need to be hidden.

This.

But, as others have said, it is a valid concern. Every one of us must find the balance between discretion and advocacy for ourselves. In some situations more is better, in other cases, mum is most definitely the word.

AKElroy
March 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
A poor advocate? Not in my book, but maybe a lukewarm one only because you hide the fact that you are a gun owner.

My friends & family are all aware of and participants in my hobby, so it is not a secret. If anything, I am a poor neighbor. Lived here 11 years & could not tell you who they are. We live in an upscale gated neighborhood & I am not an upscale kind of guy. We built here for the added security. Sad, but I'm just not looking for anymore friends--

Ben Shepherd
March 14, 2009, 02:37 PM
AKElroy- I hear 'ya. Small circle, like it that way, nothing wrong with that.

Ah the balance between privacy/security and paranoia, eh?

jws527
March 14, 2009, 02:38 PM
Frankly, I keep a low profile with my guns and other high value items for the same reason that I do not leave items of value laying around within in plain sight inside of my car. I am certainly not naive enough to believe that I can prevent a skilled or dedicated thief from acquiring my possessions if he so desires (any and every anti-theft measure one could conceivably take is ultimately little more than a deterrent - some far more powerful than others, of course), but I do know that I am far less likely to earn his attention if I do not appear to have anything worth stealing, which is perhaps the most effective deterrent of all.

None of this prevents me from being vocal with my support of 2A rights, of course. :)

Titan6
March 14, 2009, 02:41 PM
If I could find a brave enough soul to count them all and tell me how many I have then that would be appreciated.

Sebring Pop
March 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't worry about it because I keep that information to myself.

Thanks Pop

Hungry Seagull
March 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
I can tell you a little bit about all of my neighbors. But they cannot tell much about us either.

We live a quiet lifestyle and dont have many people over. That is a nice thing. We know our neighbors on a passing basis and work with each and everyone of them on matters impacting our property line like tree felling etc. But... no one could tell anyone much about anyone.

Folks in these parts generally live here for some peace and quiet. And a little self reliant as well.

It's easier to live in peace when no one is lusting after your stuff. Big screen 2000 dollar HDTV? Nope. Sorry not here.

One thing we do is process our own trash, particularly the cardboard boxes. I recall that the gun boxes themselves were burned, the labels run through the shredder and then the left overs taken to the city dump. A bit of a trip. But no one on the street knows anything about that trash bin containing a mint cardboard box advertising a remington 870 shotgun because said bin never had it.

Just keep in mind that when you say "Howdy Neighbor." That nice neighbor might just have a big bore in the belt somewhere on his person.

SCKimberFan
March 14, 2009, 03:11 PM
There are pics of me and my guns on my myspace, but that picture folder, along with everything else that is no one else's business, is kept private so that some stalker can't just wander about my page and see them and be like 'hey, I went to high school with him.

Wanna bet they aren't as private as you think?

Brian Dale
March 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
No, but having had a car stolen out of the driveway it sleeps in the garage. When I park it at work, I make sure nothing of value is in plain sightTo refrain from displaying your possessions when you have already had one car stolen from the driveway is not paranoid.

People know that I'm a shooter, but I don't display my valuables. For example, when I must leave my laptop in my car, it's covered by valueless clutter (a worn "dog towel," an old coat or the like). I don't have gun-related bumper stickers, either.

Only a small percentage of the population are serious criminals. Unfortunately, those few are often very, very active. A larger number of people will freely yak about anything interesting, including other people's stuff, and word of potential targets makes its way to thieves.

Hungry Seagull
March 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
Let's say that the criminals in my area are smart. Very cunning and predatory smart. Nothing escape thier notice.

Regularly for example those portable GPS units that you suction cup to your windsheid or dashboard leave behind rings when you park somewhere.

You come back to car and find a window broken and your GPS missing along with other stuff of oppertunity.

It's those rings that clued the thief.

Dont leave clues, Pray for Safety but Lock the car anyway. It does not take much more than a small strip of metal (Blood pressure cuff expander) and a few seconds to get into one.

Southern Rebel
March 14, 2009, 03:59 PM
Since I shoot on my own land, It is obvious to all of my neighbors that I have at least a pistol and a rifle. I have no problem with that information being known - I WANT it be be known that I have the equipment for protection of me and my family.

What I don't want known is whether or not I have an "arsenal", by definition of the news media. Most thieves in my area won't risk a break-in for a couple of guns, but they probably would if they believed a house contained numerous guns. Thus, any information shared about the total collection is shared with only a trusted few. (The Bible teaches that we should not "become a stumbling block to them that are weak".)

tjj
March 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
I don't tell many people about what I have. Be it guns, tools, camera equipment or whatever of any real value. Just not a good idea. It's not just the people you talk to but who THEY talk to that worries me. I have a few like minded friends that I confide in and even they don't know all what I have nor do I ask what all they have. I don't think it's just being paranoid. It's just not anyone else's business.

There are too many people who are just ignorant about guns also. Don't want to blow anyone's fuse.
You remember the preacher shooting in Mo last week?
Headline on Fox news website "Arsenal found at home of shooter" or to that effect. Two 12ga shotguns and a rifle and 550 rounds of .22 ammo.!!!
I venture to say 98% on this forum has more than that at in their home.
So I'd say best keep it to yourself.

Gamera
March 14, 2009, 04:36 PM
I don't worry about it, but I don't go around advertising it either. Most of my friends know that I own guns though.

earlthegoat2
March 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
At the very least if you FTF a gun sale dont do it at your house because then anyone can know.

searcher451
March 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
I worry about that my insurance agent has an up-to-date list. I worry that my son knows exactly what he'll get someday and appreciates it. I also worry that my wife will one day find out exactly how much stuff is crammed into the safe. Beyond that, no worries whatsoever. Having a C&R license helps with that.

rightside
March 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
I keep an NRA and GOA stickers on my truck. I dont care what others think, but of late a number of co-workers and neighbors have ask my option on firearms and lots I end up taking to the range and introducing them to the sport of shooting.:D

lesterg3
March 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
Guns, what guns, there ain't no guns here. There was once but they scared me and I sold them all. :rolleyes:

And, with what I got for the guns I donated half to the Democractic party, and bought favorable Obama bumper stickers with what was left over. :o

jerkface11
March 14, 2009, 05:45 PM
I only hide things I'm ashamed of. Of course I also don't know exactly how many guns I own.

Phydeaux642
March 14, 2009, 05:56 PM
I don't advertise. I don't walk around with a Glock hat, a Springfield t-shirt and gun bumper stickers on my car. I'm not ashamed, I just don't need anyone following me home and scoping out my house. There are a lot of bad people in the world, so, why make it easy for them?

jerkface11
March 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
They can already see that I drive a nice car. They can probably guess that I own other nice things.

jeff-10
March 14, 2009, 06:08 PM
Well I don't tell anyone I don't know well about my gun collection purely for security reasons. I manly collect higher end centerfire semi-auto pistols and I feel those would be far more tempting to a thief than a collection of AKs or ARs. When I feel like doing something for my 2nd Amendment rights I make sure my NRA membership is up to date, not flaunt my gun collection.

rightside
March 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
They can already see that I drive a nice car. They can probably guess that I own other nice things.

Agreed

I also hang a United States of America flag on the front of my house when appropriate. And I really dont care if any one knows how many flags I have.......

Guns and more
March 14, 2009, 07:26 PM
Loose lips sink ships.

daorhgih
March 14, 2009, 07:36 PM
"" Ah the balance between privacy/security and paranoia, eh? ""
It's not paranoia if the zombies really ARE out to get you. Dao.

Duke of Doubt
March 14, 2009, 07:40 PM
I don't mind people knowing I have guns; most people around here have one or more, and it's no big deal. Certainly not worth breaking into a place over; most stolen guns around here are worthless as fenced goods, and the handful of valuable ones tend to be hidden, secured or both, and bring down an utterly enormous amount of heat. Still, I don't give out a huge amount of detail, except for a few old favorites I teach students and friends to shoot. As nice as I like to think those pieces are, they really aren't exceptional and aren't gossipped about. I also ask friends not to trumpet details of my hobby from the rooftops, and they are happy to oblige. It's just not that juicy.

But I have to admit I like people knowing I carry. Chicks dig it.

servantofinari
March 15, 2009, 03:19 AM
I don't hide it, it would just cause problems if i did. Besides, i don't see anyone breaking in anytime soon.

Waibaddayu
March 15, 2009, 03:56 AM
Nothing wrong with "OpSec" on the homefront!

ChCx2744
March 15, 2009, 06:21 AM
The duck would have never ended up on the hunter's plate if it had not quacked.

I live in an apartment and when I go to the range, I like to take ALOT of guns. I usually go with some of my friends or another friend, so I have help carrying them down to my car. Yes, it isn't that easy to carry all those guns down those steps without seeing one of my neighbors, but I try to do it swiftly and discreetly.

I agree is not safe to advertise your guns, but if people see one of them every blue moon, they will either come to you for opinion/advice or leave you alone/let others know your packing.

gunNoob
March 15, 2009, 06:36 AM
I don't tell the world but if someone is over at my place and they ask about them then I'll show them. Most people I know have never held a gun so most enjoy touching them even if they might think it's bad. I leave a gun or 2 laying around though since I'm young and single.

Rmac58
March 15, 2009, 06:44 AM
No, I don't worry about it.

DocBoCook
March 15, 2009, 07:40 AM
If you ain't family, or your not another shooter who appreciates toys, You don't get to see my babies

chuckusaret
March 15, 2009, 08:04 AM
I keep all of my guns locked up, with the exception of my CC and a backup, I carry 99% of the time. I have a NRA and a GOA sticker on my car bumper, and I would guess most people would assume that I have guns because of the stickers.

redneck2
March 15, 2009, 08:33 AM
We have a family friend that works in a public building. She had seen my guns one day when she was over here and the safe was open.

Some time later, she mentioned a discussion at work and how she had told her friends how many guns I had.

Should have kept my safe and mouth shut. I do now.

Actually, I've sold over half my guns, ones I didn't use. Thefts and home break-ins are up significantly in our county. Just makes you more of a target.

Lightninstrike
March 17, 2009, 10:32 AM
I also worry that my wife will one day find out exactly how much stuff is crammed into the safe.

Yep, got that problem myself. :p

Lightninstrike
March 17, 2009, 10:35 AM
Thefts and home break-ins are up significantly in our county.

We are seeing some increase too. Economy. :cuss: I am being more security conscious these days and that extends to how I manage my gun collection.

AllAmerican
March 17, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hmmmm

Im not sure what to think. I live in a rural area and in my actual little subdivision (if you can call it that) there are maybe 7 homes (everyone has at least 5 acres -I am the largest land owner in the subdivision, I have 25.5)

It would be hard to hide the fact that I have guns and ammo from my neighbors since we shoot on the property weekly. Clays, targets whatever.

On any given day a few thousand rounds may be fired.

Where Im at I dont think the neighbors care if I have guns as most of them have them as well.

lesterg3
March 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
At this point in time I would rather that nobody knows how many defensive weapons I have.

I am planning on building some sort of bunker where I can store the majority of my weapons and only keep a couple at home.

AirForceShooter
March 17, 2009, 11:40 AM
Not one bit

I'm not a pedophile or Crazed nut job.
I don't have to hide my fun stuff.

Made a lot of converts too.

AFS

Carlos Cabeza
March 17, 2009, 03:28 PM
In the past I used to be very vocal about the fact I was / am an RKBA supporter and defender. It has had some detrimental effects but mostly positive ones.

We got a new HR manager where I USED to work. I think when she caught wind of my interests and hobbies I was a "liability" and over many months, progressively moved towards the door.

I think each person is a different case and you have to understand peoples motives of interest.

Just because someone asks doesn't mean they get an (honest) answer.

I have friends who I would open the safe and drag everything out to the range. I also have "aquaintances" who I am not fully confident in disclosing that information. All while trying to be "transparent" and not attracting attention to myself.

yeti
March 17, 2009, 03:33 PM
Man, I no longer know how many guns I have:what:...I guess it would be nice if someone did.:uhoh:
:evil:

KarenTOC
March 17, 2009, 03:57 PM
Do you worry about others knowing how many guns you have?

I didn't until i read this thread.

rondog
March 17, 2009, 04:06 PM
I don't worry about it anymore, ever since my tragic "boating accident" where they all went to the bottom of Lake Gitcheegoomie.

DHJenkins
March 17, 2009, 04:25 PM
I keep my stuff 'secret' so I can keep my stuff.

There's hardly any consequenses for breaking into someones car or house anymore, so I'd rather everyone assume I've got nothing worth stealing.

mcwjr13
March 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
Every one in my circle of close friends I have shot with or hunted with. Outside of them I do not discuss firearms and do not advertize that I own them i.e. stickers on my truck etc.

chuckusaret
March 17, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have a small collection of guns that are locked in a very good safe that is bolted to the floor. I also have three guns that are not in the safe when I am home; two are my CCW's and a HD shotgun… Do I care if anyone knows about my guns, No. If they break in while I am home they will be shot without a doubt. If I am not home the burglar alarm and the video system will run them off, if not, they will never be able to break into the safe. Another deterrent is that I have 4 or 5 cars in the driveway at any given time.

snorky18
March 17, 2009, 06:26 PM
At my former job the head of HR, and almost of all of the management were a bunch of bed wetting liberals, and I'm about 99% positive that if they knew of this hobby, that would have an immediate and detrimental affect on my career, as I'm certain I would be labeled as a liability.

It's really too bad they aren't educated enough to realize that a CCW Permit holder is statistically less likely to commit a crime than they themselves are. :neener:

Only people who know what I have are close friends, shooting buddies (obviously), and a couple of family members.

I do generally do my best to conceal my firearms on range trips. It's not that I'm ashamed, as I do converse with people about my hobby periodically, it's just that I try not to advertise to anyone that I own anything expensive. There's no reason for them to know about my 80K dollar snap-on tool collection, my classic motorcycle collection, my "arsenal", my super high end home theater system, etc. You're not paranoid if you've been ripped off before, and I have.

I don't actually own any the above items; they are fictional, but you get the idea.

makarovnik
March 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
Yes.

flying_gage
March 17, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yes.

flrfh213
March 17, 2009, 10:21 PM
i have a good safe alarm, vid cams, dogs and insurance too so i dont care who knows i have guns, only 1 worth stealing i use for ccw. i have a neighbor that did live across the street that i put in jail for theft from the back of my truck. and after what has happened he moved but his dad lives there still and will not talk to me. (hhmmm i helped his son get a 2 year term in county lock up and he don't invite me to bbq's, hmm) i make it a point to advertise ADT ALARM, CLOSED CIRCUT VIDEO, AND ARMED FOR BEAR. but just the cute ones.....

X-Rap
March 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
God knows how many and he doesn't even tell me. I live in a fairly small town and people know a little about each other but the less they know about that the better. I advocate for the 2A but don't go around with a list of stuff.

Tob
March 18, 2009, 12:25 AM
Some people are receptive to pro-RKBA arguments, and some are not. Being able to tell the difference can save a ton of headaches for yourself down the road. And, having said that, its impossible to predict what *some* responses will be to the knowledge that I like guns, own many, and ammunition to support them.

Judgement calls are everywhere....just have to be prepared.

dacavasi
March 18, 2009, 12:37 AM
The less that the general public and strangers know about you and your hobbies/possessions, the better. As for guns, only my most trusted family and acquaintances know that I own them. I have the benefit of having been ripped off a couple times in my life, specifically as a result of running my mouth or showing off my possessions. When it happens to you, you learn quick that people will slit your throat for a nickel in this world. Best to stay safe and play your cards close to the vest...

sernv99
March 18, 2009, 06:22 AM
once in a while, a good post like this gets put up....

yeah I don't advertise to anyone the guns I have, mostly because I own quite a few expensive competition sporting clays guns, not because I'm afaird of letting "the man" know how many guns I own. I own a few semi-auto high cap rifles and hanguns. Whenever I go on a trip to my parent's farm, I load my stuff discreetly: rifle cases, ammo cans, etc. In fact whenever I go out of town for anything, I load my bags discreetly in the car so as to not advertise I'm going out of town. you never know who is casing your place to break in and rob ya.

jackstinson
March 18, 2009, 07:02 AM
advocate shmadvocate.......
I don't hide my guns, but I don't parade them either. I can still be an advocate for the sport without waving everything I own around the neighborhood.
And it isn't "The Man" who concerns me, it's thieves that see quick cash behind every back door.

rbernie
March 18, 2009, 08:42 AM
Heck, I worry about my *spouse* finiding out how many guns I have. She started counting pistols the other day when one of the safe doors was open and it all went downhill from there.

Thank goodness that the other safe was still closed.

runrabbitrun
March 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
I don't advertise. I don't walk around with a Glock hat, a Springfield t-shirt and gun bumper stickers on my car. I'm not ashamed, I just don't need anyone following me home and scoping out my house. There are a lot of bad people in the world, so, why make it easy for them?

Ditto to that.
Why advertise for companies with their t-shirts, bumper stickers or any of that nonsense.
Unless they PAY me to advertise for them. :neener:

And why let the BGs know what you got?
It's just inviting trouble. IMO

I'd rather the thugs 'think' I'm a gun free zone
and bring a knife to THIS gun fight.
Surprise surprise surprise. :D

SDDL-UP
March 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
I live in a rural area and most of my neighbors are avid shooters. The one's immediately next door all hunt and shoot. I know they have guns, they know I have guns - it's all good.

We really need to have a "neighborhood range day"!

Ala Dan
March 18, 2009, 10:58 AM
I'm very careful as too who actually knows what~! :scrutiny: I don't
advertise that I own guns; but being a retired LEO, I figure most
of my neighbor's have figuered it out by now~! :eek: :uhoh:

youngun82
March 18, 2009, 02:28 PM
shoot....I fly an NRA flag right next to my American flag in my front yard. I have Friends of the NRA stickers on all my doors and a couple of windows. People in my neighborhood know what I'm all about. I clean my guns outside on the porch or in my garage with the door wide open. I'm a F%&*'N American...I ain't hide'n jack. If you want to rob me....well....you've been warned.:cool:

Black Dime
March 18, 2009, 03:07 PM
My name is Red Cent and I am a Nonadvocate.

federalfarmer
March 18, 2009, 03:51 PM
When I get the question at work, how many do you have? The answer is always none of your business. But I have made it a point to tell them that if any older relatives pass away and they want help safely getting rid of guns/ammo I would be glad to help them. So far no free guns but a fair amount of free ammo!
The owner of my company believes in a total gun ban -- including LEO's. So I keep my head down and work.

JWF III
March 18, 2009, 04:35 PM
Short answer, yes. Most of my family has no idea how many I have. As far as friends go, 3 have seen them. Two simply because we were working on the house, in the room I keep the guns. The third was a dear friend of my father's, he has since passed away. A fourth has a pretty good idea of how many I own.

My very closest friends have no idea how many I have. They know that they've seen me shoot a pretty good selection of guns. But they've only seen a percentage of them. Not for any particular reason, the main four I'd trust with keys to everything, including the gun room. (Just like they trust me with keys to their lake house and work shop.) They've just never been at the house, with enough time to take a gander.

Wyman

Guns and more
March 18, 2009, 10:21 PM
A couple of neighbors know I have guns but don't know what or how many. I did give the combo to my safe to one guy I trust so that if anything happened to me, someone could get in.
I keep some letters in there that will be mailed to friends when I'm gone.

RangerHAAF
March 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
I believe in advertising who I am and where I stand, so there's no mistake that a potential friend or foe will misunderstand what my position is.

I was raised in the south where men used to drive around in their trucks with a rifle or shotgun. Nowadays, due to political correctness or being fearful of frightening some spineless citizen we don't display our arms like the good old days and that's okay for some but I still drive with my gun rack full. The only difference is that my windows are tinted down to 2% because it's nobody's business what's in my vehicle.

I have enough subtle external inferences on my vehicle to let everyone know what might be inside but because they can't actually see anything they can only guess and speculate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you worry about others knowing how many guns you have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!