Internet Heros what's THR's Policy?

PDA

Rockwell1
March 14, 2009, 02:21 PM
I know this isn’t a huge problem here but it does happen now and again and I was curious how other members deal with it or what the board’s policy, if any, might be.

I realize that in such a diverse community we do have people with a wide and varied past and that we probably do have real Special Forces types and Federal law enforcement agents among us. But every once in a while I’ll read a post in which a person claims to be an E-6 with over thirty years time in service (impossible) who continually refers to his post as a “Base” (not Army terminology). Or a post in which a person claims to be a graduate of “Airborne Ranger” school (not the correct terminology again). In short the story just doesn’t add up.

I’m curious how other posters deal with this when it comes up. Do you come right out and tell the poster you think he/she is lying? Do you report it? Is there an official policy? What does THR do?

I am aware that this post isn’t technically “gun related” but it is related to the credibility of this site as a whole that’s why I though it was worth bringing up

If you enjoyed reading about "Internet Heros what's THR's Policy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Titan6
March 14, 2009, 02:27 PM
But every once in a while I’ll read a post in which a person claims to be an E-6 with over thirty years time in service

Guess you never heard of the National Guard then?

who continually refers to his post as a “Base” Perhaps they are on an air base? Besides I live on Ft. Leavenworth and call it a base all the time.

Or a post in which a person claims to be a graduate of “Airborne Ranger” school

Like many new enlistees perhaps they went to one and then the other? True you don't have to go to one to go to the other but maybe they did both. I would not go throwing stones until certain. But when you are sure just hogtie them and present them to a mod. They will make them go away.

loneviking
March 14, 2009, 02:30 PM
I'm not aware of any official policy. Mostly, the well informed just consider the source and figure that there is a keyboard commando on the other end. There have been a handful of times where someone has been so obnoxious that those who know what's going on have confronted, outed and basically run them off the board. That doesn't happen too often. Mostly, I just pay attention to posters that I've learned DO know what they are talking about and who I've come to respect. One example is the poster AKA 'Old Fluff', here's a guy who knows his stuff and writes good, informative posts.

everallm
March 14, 2009, 02:31 PM
Usual rule of thumb

Don't feed the Troll.

chuwee81
March 14, 2009, 02:39 PM
i know a member here (and the rest of us) who made that UBERSNIPERBEENTHERE Loki dude out of comission.

Hungry Seagull
March 14, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ah yes I have served in the Internet for 30 years kind of folks.

:rolleyes:

It's enough to have been around military types in my life across several generations with thier stories and whatnot. Dont need to be feeding the troll.

However.

It is our policy in the home to thank each and every Soldier, Sailor and Marine we meet in person for thier Service to the Nation. I think it's safe to let this sentance stand also for those around the Internet who have served.

MrBorland
March 14, 2009, 02:58 PM
One example is the poster AKA 'Old Fluff'

I agree, and he's a gentleman, too. I'm even betting he'll let it slide that his handle is really OldFuff (sans the "L") :D

As to the OP, I'm no expert on professional training, so I let it slide and let those in the know allow the thread to evolve. I also recall a thread where a guy called BS on someone, then quickly offered a public apology after doing a few minutes of research and founding out the guy was legit.

pmeisel
March 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
If you've been there, or been around it enough, you can tell who's for real. I mostly just ignore those who don't make sense.... they will trip themselves up soon enough.

You can't always tell just from terminology, it changes over the years and across the services, and there are some old folks out here.

Brian Dale
March 14, 2009, 03:12 PM
SQUEELs, Officer Impersonators and Bwana-bes get discovered in a hurry. ...we probably do have real Special Forces types and Federal law enforcement agents among us.That sentence is correct even without the word, "probably." These people are part of our community. :)

---> I'm not one.

We rarely FTT, but when someone shows up to give really wrong, illegal or dangerous advice (it's not that frequent, but the Internet is open to all) , that person is usually quietly advised to stop doing such things.

ThrottleJockey
March 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
This reminds me of the thread with youtube video of the guy with the black mask and the glasses talking about his rifle....

PvtPyle
March 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
But every once in a while I’ll read a post in which a person claims to be an E-6 with over thirty years time in service (impossible)

Well, I have been in since 88 and I am an E-4. In the Guard you get promoted based on your paragraph and line number and what the rank for that job is. I am not the most long in the tooth Corporal, but I am close. I am now however in an E-7 slot and will get rank as soon as I can bang out schools. Don't jump to conclusions based on what you suspect may be the way things work. And yes, I am in a ARSOF unit, and I spent several years in Special Forces.

who continually refers to his post as a “Base” (not Army terminology)

But when you have people that come up in other branches, Navy, Marines and Air Force that moved over into the Army (as I did) you still often call it base. I still call the floor the deck, the latrine the head and when they call my name I say "Pyle Aye Sir!". More to be a smart ass than anything else.

If you think someone is questionable feel free to bring it to the attention of one of the Mods. This isn't PS.com or SOCNET but we have enough experience to sniff someone out (like doing 100m head shots in combat with a pistol....:D ). But I would leave calling them out to the mods or other real live BTDT's. Thats how we handle them around here.

Phydeaux642
March 14, 2009, 03:22 PM
I just ignore those posters and their posts. I'm here to learn from the guys that have been doing this for many years and for me it's usually pretty easy to tell whos who.

lesterg3
March 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
Rockwell1

Quote, "I am aware that this post isn’t technically “gun related” but it is related to the credibility of this site as a whole that’s why I though it was worth bringing up" end quote.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the credibility of this site, the credibility of the poster is what is in question.

A lot of people want to be heroes and will study up on the unit they want to be associated with, but they will never have the jargon used exactly.

Does it really matter, not to me. If someone thinks so little of themselves that they need to create a fraudulent history it is their burden to bare, and I only feel sorrow for them. Don't damn the site because some people need to exaggerate their persona.

Mal H
March 14, 2009, 03:54 PM
Internet Heros - what's THR's Policy?We don't have an official on this for obvious reasons. Speaking only for myself (but I know many moderators agree), I don't take kindly to poseurs. After indisputable proof that they are not the genuine article (and I try to do my homework thoroughly), when given a choice between taking them quietly out of commission and posting sarcasm about them, frankly I usually opt for sarcasm - I feel they have earned it with their non-service to our nation. Not very high road? Don't care.

who continually refers to his post as a “Base” (not Army terminology)I agree with PvtPyle on this. For example, I was a Marine Corps brat through my entire grade school-high school life. My Father was transferred to Quantico for about the last 5 years or so of his long USMC career, but we lived much closer to Ft. Belvoir so we always went there for everything from groceries to golf courses. It was always the Army base to us, not Post or Fort, etc.

The Lone Haranguer
March 14, 2009, 04:00 PM
I have faith that the mods will deal appropriately with "chairborne Rangers" as needed on a case by case basis.

Rockwell1
March 14, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hey guys my examples were just that, examples. I realize there are exceptions that prove every rule, but I think you all get my point.

Having said that I feel that my question has been adequately answered so the mods can feel free to close it at their leisure

XavierBreath
March 14, 2009, 04:51 PM
I moved your thread to technical where it is more on topic.

We do not have an official policy.

I can tell you how I and several other moderators who have served feel. We have a deep and lasting contempt for poseurs. We will ban for such behavior, especially when it disrupts the forum. There is no dishonor in being an honest citizen who has not served in the military or as law enforcement. There is enduring dishonor in being a liar.

Now I tend to overlook the vague references to BTDT that occasionally occur. However, when a member attempts to prop up his misinformation with a fraudulent history of military or law enforcement service, I am prone to ask for credentials. Those who have credentials are able and willing to provide them. There are no single member super secret squirrel units. Units have histories and multiple members. Members know each other, and people outside of those units know members. It's often quite easy to check. The Staff has enough folks with enough contacts to make it happen.

For example, if a member claims to be a secret agent on the ASRAC Delta II Frog Squadron*, chances are he fell under the training of CPO Jackie Grimes* at a particular juncture in his career. CPO Grimes might not remember the young amphibian, but I will guarantee you the member would remember CPO Grimes.

What amuses me to no end are the "navy seels" and "maureens" who are unable to comprehend navy speak. Every branch of the service has it's idioms and idiosyncracies, but the Navy is unique. I used to love sitting at a bar and hearing poseurs thrill young girls with tall tales of dogfights in their Tomcats. They were good. Sometimes they would even bring along their RIOs. Not many people put on cheap leather jackets and RayBans to do Tom Cruise impersonations at bars any more, so I'll reveal a few particulars.

No Naval Aviator ever calls a bird by it's nickname. A "Tomcat" is a F-14. A "Hornet" is not even a F/A-18 to a Navy man. It's an F-18. The fake aviator should know at least as much about flying and his aircraft as the kid who works on it. When you get to the submariners and the spec warriors, it gets even worse. The lingo is spoken, not written. You won't find it on the internet or on video games. Either you know it, or you don't. If you don't know what a rack is, you never served in the US Navy or the USMC. Period.

What should you do if you suspect this is going on? Do not engage. Quietly report your suspicions with links to the relevant posts. Let the staff take care of it. It might take several days, but we will address it.

Much will depend on the member's attitude once exposed. Usually a poseur will get themselves banned quite quickly for other violations of the rules when exposed. If they come clean and are willing to make a commitment to not repeat the behavior, then I might look the other way.

* a ficticious unit
* a ficticious CPO

Maelstrom
March 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
The official policy is to call him Gecko and watch everyone laugh while he slinks away.

Art Eatman
March 14, 2009, 09:45 PM
Whachoo mean, ASRAC Delta II Frog Squadron is ficktishus? And it was Grumy, not Grimes!

Sorry...

Come May, I'll have been out of the Army for fifty years. :) I note that there have been a few changes. :D:D:D

Except for "Hurry up and wait."

hso
March 15, 2009, 02:50 PM
What do you do when you encounter an impostor?

http://thehighroad.org/images/buttons/report.gif

DRYHUMOR
March 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
Imposters on the internet :what: holy crap Batman, I almost choked on my slider :D

Milkmaster
March 15, 2009, 03:41 PM
I find that fools on the internet will identify themselves without my help. I give an honest answer to questions and opinions based on my experiences and remain courteous in doing so. I don't think me calling them out or insulting them is going to make anyone change from a fool. At least it keeps ME on The High Road!

pmeisel
March 15, 2009, 10:29 PM
Except for "Hurry up and wait."

Yeah. I was on the phone with my son today and he had several fresh examples..... some things don't change.

bikerdoc
March 16, 2009, 05:35 AM
Afew weeks ago some guy said his friend was an "Airborne Ranger" and gave him a knife. In the exchange this alledged Ranger handed him the knife and said Semper Fi.
"Marines say Semper Fi, not Rangers" was all I posted. I got my eye on that dufus.

P97
March 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
I find that fools on the internet will identify themselves without my help. I give an honest answer to questions and opinions based on my experiences and remain courteous in doing so. I don't think me calling them out or insulting them is going to make anyone change from a fool. At least it keeps ME on The High Road!
Murfreesboro, TNA very good attitude. Thats what I do also. A quote from my deceased Father: "I can listen to anyone talk for 5 minutes and tell if they know what they are talking about and telling the truth, or just blowing wind." End of Quote. I think any of us can do that if we try. That's the reason there is a endless supply of good and useful information on the Internet, if we will just learn to discern what is true.

jimmyraythomason
March 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
I am not former military though many of my family served(including one distant cousin CMOH recepient). I certainly don't know enough jargon to "call anyone out" so I rely on the REAL BTDTs and mods to weed out the fakes. My hat is off to the REAL vets and current heroes either Military,LEO or Firefighters.

Trebor
March 17, 2009, 03:57 AM
Ask, "What color is the boat house at Herford?"

That seems to work.

bikerdoc
March 17, 2009, 07:09 AM
Ask, "What color is the boat house at Herford?"

Cool idea. If there spec ops (Army) ask who was Charlie Beckwith, and Walter Shumate

MaterDei
March 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
Rockwell1,

We all have our pet peeves and this one must be yours. Mine is spelling and grammar. :) I've been hanging around on this site over 5 years and haven't noticed much of what you're talking about. I'm sure it's out there, it must be something that I just don't notice. I've learned to accept that some people are just going to butcher the English language and I need to get over it. I kind of consider it a sort of admission fee for being a member here.

Also, keep in mind that there a lots and lots of people here with varied experiences. Perhaps the people that have served at Army 'bases' are not even American. Or maybe there are Army bases out there and you aren't aware of them. I was in the Army for 11 years (you're going to have to take my word for it, I'm not sending you a copy of my DD214 :) ). During that time I trained and lived at Forts, Depots, Arsenals, Camps, and even many Kasernes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was some sort of Army installation out there called a base.

Justin
March 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
Watching our members take down a poser is one of the great joys of being a part of this forum.

JShirley
March 17, 2009, 06:35 PM
Politely asking a poster about his background and experience is always an option.

John

pmeisel
March 17, 2009, 10:16 PM
During that time I trained and lived at Forts, Depots, Arsenals, Camps, and even many Kasernes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was some sort of Army installation out there called a base.

Don't forget "post". My dad was old Army Air Corps, he used "camp", "field", "post", and "base" according to what it was when he served there, but to my mom everything was a "base" because it was by the time she went there.

All the best to all the old vets who remember when, there certainly are fewer of you than there used to be and we are poorer for that.

TimboKhan
March 17, 2009, 11:59 PM
I use "base" as a catch-all term. I know what it is, and everyone else knows what it is. My home base, as it were, was 29 Palms. Tell a Marine "I was stationed at 29 Palms" and they know what you mean. Tell a civilian that, and they aren't sure. Tell them "29 Palms is the name of the town the base was at", and they understand. Technically, I suppose I should call it a "center" since the official name is "Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms", but that is more of a pain than it is worth.

Maelstrom
March 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
Tell a Marine "I was stationed at 29 Palms" and they know what you mean.

29 Stumps

pmeisel
March 19, 2009, 11:02 PM
Them who knows, knows, the rest guess....

IRONFIST
March 20, 2009, 02:28 AM
I watched the movies GI Jane, Navy Seals, Sniper, and Under Siege in the same afternoon, back to back, while painfully sober.

If that grueling training exercise doesn't qualify me to be an expert on "SPESHUL OPSH" then nothing will.

:rolleyes:

:p

CapnMac
March 20, 2009, 04:19 AM
I watched the movies GI Jane, Navy Seals, Sniper, and Under Siege in the same afternoon, back to back, while painfully sober.

Just think if that were a package DVD deal of just how many malls would go unguarded . . . <g>
O the horror the horror.

Mal H
March 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Looks like we've reached the end of useful discussion on this one. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Internet Heros what's THR's Policy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!