Sharps Derringer

PDA

jcowan
March 14, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have a Sharps 4 barrel derringer with a 1859 patent on it. When you cock the hammer the firing pin rotates to the next barrel. I got this gun from my Grandfather. I was playing with it and the main spring broke. Is that spring available anywhere or can it be made? I have the broken pieces.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sharps Derringer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
Well, you won't find one at Walmart, that's for sure!

In the grand scheme of things, there were not very many of them made, and that was 135 years ago.

There were also four different models, in two different frame sizes, made by two different factories.

So your chances of finding an original spring that fits your gun is about zero.

Since you have the broken parts, a good gunsmith who specializes in old guns could fairly easily make one.
But I don't know who that would be off-hand.

rc

Jim K
March 16, 2009, 09:31 PM
Both Gun Parts Corp and Dixie Arms have mainsprings for the repros, and Dixie has one (Cat. Nr. TP0155) that might fit the orginal. That is a pretty simple spring to make, also. Note that almost any spring you get will have to be fitted.

Jim

jcowan
March 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info, I will try that part number from Dixie.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sharps Derringer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!