Why can't we talk about the brass issue here?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
March 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
I am a little confused, as it would seem this would be gun related.

Several threads popped up about the legal questions regarding whether we will continue to be able to buy once fired GI brass. Georgia Arms and GIbrass.com are not selling any military brass right now because of this.

Maybe there was a misinterpretation of the law, or maybe not, but at least two vendors are not selling military brass until this is cleared up.

The threads here have all been closed. In at least one case, a moderator closed a thread because it was already being discussed elsewhere, and he put a link to the other thread, but it had been closed as well.

Is this not a legitimate topic for discussion here???

If you enjoyed reading about "Why can't we talk about the brass issue here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
newdude
March 14, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, the one that Jeff linked to, it was closed not for reasons about the OP, but what came after... (lots of bickering from my just glancing at it) Or at least that is what i understand.

rbernie
March 14, 2009, 11:11 PM
Adult discussion of provable fact is highly encouraged.

Lots of wailing and OH NOES! and snide political commentary without any real data embedded inside of it, on the other hand, is simply a waste of good electrons and does nothing to educate anyone. We try to discourage that.

Lone_Gunman
March 15, 2009, 12:36 AM
Real data was in the closed threads, including the legal language which was the source of the problem, as well as statements by Georgia Arms and GI Brass.

Brian Dale
March 15, 2009, 01:21 AM
That's an excellent reason for folks not to bicker and fight in a useful thread: to keep it open.

~That's absolutely not a shot at you, Lone_Gunman. I'm just following your statement with a related one.

Gunnerpalace
March 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
So far all I got from reading threads here and other places is this:

.mil screwed up issuing this order (somebody issued it for some reason or another) , and the NRA and possibly a few congress critters are working on fixing it.

Not helpful but what I have deduced so far.

chuckusaret
March 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
Most of the moderators here are good ol boys who just want to run a tight ship and want to make sure they keep the forum free of excessive bickering and those evil political threads. Then there are one or two who for whatever reason, only like to close threads as their "solution" to everything. That's the way it is. There seems to be a lot of moderators on staff and most of them you never hear from. Most of them believe in free speech and don't want to start intervening unless it is very necessary.
I enjoy THR very much, moderators for the most part use good judgment as to when to step in and when to close a topic. I, along with many of my friends, are fairly new to THR because of over zealous moderators on a survival site. I have to applaud the moderators for their patience.

JohnBT
March 15, 2009, 05:55 PM
"Most of the moderators here "

You figured all that out in 3 days? Dang. I guess I'll catch on sooner or later.

BTW, that whole "free speech" thing you're flogging only applies to government censorship. This is a privately-owned forum. Just thought you'd like to know.

John

P.S. - I looked yesterday and there were still big lots of cartridge brass for sale. Ten tons here, twelve tons there.

Jeff White
March 15, 2009, 08:08 PM
I closed the second thread because it was duplicate of the longer thread that was running in Legal. Art closed the thread in Legal because it was drifting off topic and out of control.

The decision between closing a thread or deleting and editing offending posts is totally up to the moderator. Sometimes if a topic has merit, but the original thread is beyond hope, the closing remarks will invite the OP to start a new thread.

As RBernie mentioned, the subject of the closed threads was pretty long on guessing and conjecture and short on facts. That alone is enough to get the thread closed with the provision that the subject can be reopened when some actual facts are available.

It's a lot of work to delete posts that are in violation of the rules and then delete or edit several other posts where members have commented on the deleted posts.

I recommend that anyone who is new here should spend a couple days just reading the forums and getting an idea of what the culture here is before they jump in and start posting. That will definitely save on hurt feelings when your post is deleted or your thread is closed.

hso
March 17, 2009, 02:50 AM
Oh, and I closed one in Activism because there was no plan of action, as required by that forum, and it went into the ditch right away with whining and shouting. I left another open after heavily editing it to keep from having to close it so that some sort of plan of action might be followed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why can't we talk about the brass issue here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!