Who makes the best 1860 Colt Army repro?

PDA

Oyeboten
March 15, 2009, 04:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I've seen various make "1860 Army" .44 Cap and Ball Revolvers, some having Brass Frames even.

I'd like to decide on one and get back into BP Shooting...and I'd prefer a Steel Frame, as the originals had.

Any advice, ecperiences, which would recommend one make over another?

Quality of internal parts, durability, and so on?

Or how maybe a given make was better made during a certain time period or serial range?

Thanks,

Phil

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes the best 1860 Colt Army repro?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
March 15, 2009, 04:06 AM
Both Uberti and Pietta make some of the best.

jmaubin
March 15, 2009, 06:41 AM
The Pietta I have is great I love it

madcratebuilder
March 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
My first choice would be a Colt 2nd or 3rd gen, followed by a Centaure, then Uberti.
Both the 2nd and 3rd gen Colts are based on Uberti raw parts. The steel used in the Centaure is superior to the others.
When compared side by side all three are nearly identical in appearance.
I haven't handled a Pietta so I can't comment on their 1860. The Pietta's I do own are good revolvers, so I would think the same would apply to their 1860.

mykeal
March 15, 2009, 12:26 PM
Overall, regardless of price, the 2nd Generation Colt for sure.

I own two, one Pietta made in 1982 and a Euroarms made in 1998:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/Colt 1860 Army/1639and741.jpg
There's very little to tell them apart in terms of fit or finish or any other criteria you mentioned. Based on other model Ubertis I own I suspect the same would be true if I had a Uberti 1860 Army Colt.

I have handled several 2nd Generation Colts, and own one 3rd Generation (a 3rd Model Dragoon). They are superb fit and finish and shoot very well.

I don't have any Centaures, so I can't rank that brand.

Based on my experience, and without regard for cost, then:
Best = Colt 2nd Generation or Colt 3rd Generation
2nd place = Uberti, Euroarms or Pietta

Tommygunn
March 15, 2009, 01:25 PM
Is Centaures still in operation? Where would one get them if they were? I've never heard that name.

A. Walker
March 15, 2009, 01:54 PM
Ditto second or third gen Colt. Very authentic in every detail, superb firearms well worth the price. Uberti second choice. Don't know about Centaure. Piettas, while decent guns in their own right, are not very authentic, being oversized and clearly stamped with everything from "Made in Italy" to "Black Powder Only". Personally, I would not buy another Pietta. Just my opinion.

Sagetown
March 15, 2009, 02:43 PM
This EMF (Pietta) is nice except I don't care for the large Screws on each side of the frame for attaching a rifle stock. You might consider the UBERTI by Cimarron.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/FourBee/sages1860army1.jpg

Sage

Oyeboten
March 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks very much everyone!

Good mentions...

'April' will be get-an-1860-Army Month for me, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I have been watching them on 'GunBroker', trying to note details/disparities in different makes.

Any other on-line places I should be looking?

Used is fine of course, as would be NOS or NIB or older and used little...I'm easy, and plan to shoot it, so...

"Colt" made repros seemed to be about three times the price of others, yes?

Phil

mykeal
March 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
2nd Generation Colts (made by Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc.) and 2rd Generation Colts (made by Colt Blackpowder Arms, Inc.) will generally command at least twice and sometimes as much as four times the price of the same model Italian made replica.

Centaures (a Belgian company) are no longer being made.

Of the online auction companies Gunbroker.com is probably the top choice for what you're looking for. Other options are the classified ads here and on The Firing Line forum.

Buying a black powder gun via the internet is a risky proposition. Black powder guns require significant cleaning discipline, and failure to meet that requirement can result in hidden damage, the most common being rust pitting in the bore and chambers. That's something you can check for when buying in person but can't when buying from the internet; you're at the mercy of the seller's veracity. I never buy a gun I can't personally inspect first UNLESS the seller provides a no-questions-asked return guarantee with a minimum of 3 days after receipt for the inspection.

sltm1
March 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
2nd Gen Colt win's hands down!!! Also, I've owned and used several different Italian 60's and they are fine weapons. Since you're just starting to get in to bp, I would suggest getting an Italian Pietta or Uberti as a first gun. That way, you'll have save about $300.00 which you can put into the other "essentials", you'll need for this sport, and still have a bunch of change left. There will always be 2nd Gen's out there, take your time and you can still find one for under $500.00.

sltm1
March 15, 2009, 06:30 PM
Sagetown, I saw somewhere you can buy low profile replacement screws for the stock attachment screws, maybe Dixie or VTI.

Oyeboten
March 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hi mykeal,

You mention -

Buying a black powder gun via the internet is a risky proposition. Black powder guns require significant cleaning discipline, and failure to meet that requirement can result in hidden damage, the most common being rust pitting in the bore and chambers. That's something you can check for when buying in person but can't when buying from the internet; you're at the mercy of the seller's veracity. I never buy a gun I can't personally inspect first UNLESS the seller provides a no-questions-asked return guarantee with a minimum of 3 days after receipt for the inspection.

Yes, makes sense, any Gun really..!

I plan to communicate with the Seller on germain questions, for sure.

The "3 Day" inspection priveledge is also a good thing.

Phil

Oyeboten
March 15, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hi sltm1,

You'd said -2nd Gen Colt win's hands down!!! Also, I've owned and used several different Italian 60's and they are fine weapons. Since you're just starting to get in to bp, I would suggest getting an Italian Pietta or Uberti as a first gun. That way, you'll have save about $300.00 which you can put into the other "essentials", you'll need for this sport, and still have a bunch of change left. There will always be 2nd Gen's out there, take your time and you can still find one for under $500.00.

Good thoughts, yes...and that is most likely what I'll do.

'Uberti' probably...and gather the necessary accessories also.

I was doing a lot of shooting in the mid to latter '60s and early '70s with some Italian repop .36 Colt Navy, and loved it.

The Pistol used to jam in mid-cock sometimes, and I did not know enough then to fix it so it would function better, but the jam-up in the action was only a problem now and then.

On reflection later, I decided if I ever got another, ( the Navy is long gone now, traded it years ago for some old genuine Cavalry Breeches and Shirts ) I'd like to try the Colt 1860 Army Model in .44.

Phil

sltm1
March 15, 2009, 07:15 PM
Have fun shopping Phil. Look forward to your 1st range report!!

Oyeboten
March 15, 2009, 08:45 PM
Thank you sltm1..!

I am really looking forward to it.

Phil

Sagetown
March 15, 2009, 09:41 PM
sltm1: ~ you'll have save about $300.00 which you can put into the other "essentials", you'll need for this sport, and still have a bunch of change left.
From Cabelas' I was able to pick up some holsters, belt, pouch for my wads and 100rnd snail capper, and a pouch for about 100 balls, powder flask and scabbard.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/FourBee/shootinpair0061.jpg

K.A.T.
March 20, 2009, 09:12 PM
Well I have a few to compare. ASP, Pietta, Uberti, 2nd gen. and 3rd gen. If you want the best looking revolver it is the 3rd gen. Colt to me. The blueing and the grips have more shine than the 2nd gen. Colt. The 3rd gen. I have also has the smootist action too. The blueing on the 3rd gen. is a shade lighter than the 2nd gen. Colt and shinner. Both gen. are excellent guns. The ASP and the Pietta are very close to being the same in fit and finish to me. The Uberti seems to be finished just a tad better to me compared to the ASP and the Pietta. All of the above shoot very well, at least the ones I have do. If I wanted a good shooter and a work horse and not really a show horse it would be the Pietta for the money, looks good and shoots good, and easy to get parts. The Uberti is a good gun, a little more money, I think the grips look a little better than the Pietta, and maybe the blueing just a tad, maybe. If you just have to own a Colt, then you decide between the two gen. If you just want a gun that looks good and want to shoot the crap out of it, go get you a Pietta. I took mine and deblued it and took off all the writing on the barrel and antiqued it and roughed it up a little. I usually handle it more than the Colts.

Sagetown
March 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
Congrats on the Colts. K.A.T. Well I have a few to compare. ASP, Pietta, Uberti, 2nd gen. and 3rd gen. I'd like to own a real Colt myself.;)

A. Walker
March 21, 2009, 02:03 AM
Third Generation Colt:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94776&stc=1&d=1237617249

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94777&stc=1&d=1237617258

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94781&stc=1&d=1237618712

Oyeboten
March 21, 2009, 04:30 AM
Wow...

Nice...

What handsome Pistols..!

madcratebuilder
March 21, 2009, 08:32 AM
That's a pretty one A Walker.
I have a pair of 3rd gen 1860's coming in my estate buy, one cased set with fluted cylinder and a nickle plated. I originally planned on re-selling some of these, but I'm having second thoughts now. I sure as heck don't need four 1860's but I don't want to part with any of them.

A. Walker
March 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
I don't want to part with any of them

I know what you mean. When I reach for a BP pistol, this is usually the one I fetch. I had it set up by a pro for POA @ 25 yards, and I could drive tacks all day with it. Action is smooth and it breaks crisp and clean. I would certainly never part with it.

pohill
March 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
The first BP gun I bought was a Pietta 1860 .44 Army about six years ago. I got it, I shot the heck out of it, I stripped the blue, plumb browned it, stripped that and reblued it again. Now it's a nice grayish color and it has the smoothest action of just about any gun I have, 3rd Generation and originals included. I would not hesitate buying another Pietta. Sure it had some issues, but mostly they were my fault.
Here it is with a Savage & North.
http://i42.tinypic.com/14do9wh.jpg

madcratebuilder
March 21, 2009, 12:50 PM
The S&N is interesting, over the top hammer with caps. Good set of knuckles after your out of ammo.

bandleader
March 23, 2009, 08:03 PM
I own three of the Centaure (Centennial Arms) Belgian Colts, and they all hunt! Go to www.1960nma.org for information. They are the REAL 2nd generation Colts!

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes the best 1860 Colt Army repro?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!