Sig P220 ammo

PDA

papafloyd
March 15, 2009, 07:12 PM
I am new to this handgun and pretty much guns in general for the last several yrs. While I'm waiting for my gun I thought I would by some ammo, what are some good choices for the range and then a couple boxes for HD? Is the Fiochhi any good (sorry about the spelling)? I know my choices are pretty limited right now but would appreciate what some experienced owners like and recommend.

Thanks Ken

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P220 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
franconialocal
March 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
I carry a P-220 for duty. Try Federal. I've put a TON downrange without a problem......but yes, there are several good choices out there.

The Lone Haranguer
March 15, 2009, 10:48 PM
Fiocchi (fee-OAK-ee) 230-gr. FMJ is good ammo for practice. It seems to be loaded a little "warmer" than most equivalent American-made. No experience with JHPs in this brand.

Big Daddy Grim
March 15, 2009, 11:00 PM
P220 is my duty weapon and it will shoot well with alot of ammo, in fact the only one we had a problem with was TAP ammo beyond that never had an issue.

christcorp
March 16, 2009, 01:53 AM
I've had my P220 german for more than 10 years now. Shot just about everything in the world through it. It will shoot darn near anything. For plinking and practice, I get whatever is cheap. I always try for FMJ because I prefer not as much lead in the barrel. For home and personal defense (I carry my P220); my number 1 choice are Remington Golden Sabers 230 grain BJHP. My 2nd choice is Federal Hydra-Shok 230 grain JHP.

tbtrout
March 16, 2009, 09:01 AM
Mine shoots anything and everything. or HD I like Speer Gold Dots. For cheaper ammo if you do not reload try Wolf or CCI Blazer. They work well for practice. Just keep your pistol clean and they will feed no problem.

Jim Watson
March 16, 2009, 09:03 AM
My P220 does home defense work with Hydra-Shoks. Practice is with whatever is convenient from the loading press or Cheapmart EXCEPT semiwadcutters. My first P220 would not handle SWCs, I don't ask this one to try.

wnycollector
March 16, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have shot a few hundred rounds of fiocchi 230gr JHP through my P220. I find it VERY low recoil and pretty accurate. I carry Doubletap 230gr Gold dots in mine, but I have 500 rounds of Fiocchi JHP "just in case". I would have no problems carrying it in my P220.

Here is a nice write up of the fiocchi 230gr JHP http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2007/03/on-various-firearms-discussion-forums-i.html

benzuncle
March 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
I roll my own 230gr ammo; LRN's, FMJ's and Remington Golden Sabers. Prior to that I shot pretty much anything the range sold, Hornady, Speer Gold Dots, Georgia-Arms ammo and many others. I could sum this thread up by saying the P220 will fire pretty much anything in 45acp, and I would not be far off the mark. Great reliable firearm.

chris in va
March 17, 2009, 12:06 AM
My 220 has fired/ejected everything I've put through it. Definitely not a picky firearm.

meef
March 17, 2009, 12:17 AM
For those who feel that the P220 will eat pretty much anything (I agree with the SWC exception, my BDA chokes on them), give it the ultimate test.

Try Wolf 230 FMJ in it.

If it will eat that crap, it will eat anything.

My will put a few through, then go into slow action mode and then finally refusal to participate mode.

Garbage.

:cuss:

swmp9jrm
March 18, 2009, 09:04 PM
Mine eats Wolf, Blazer, UMC, and everything else I feed it. I LOVE this gun! And I put HST in it when it's not at the range - just in case. It's the backup HD resource.

tbtrout
March 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
Mine eats Wolf with no issue. I reload 200lswc and in they go no problem. I have not fired anything that made it hiccup. This is the reason my 220 is my go to gun.

high voltage
March 18, 2009, 11:04 PM
Mine seems to like everything, except Cor-bon. They don't fit into the magazine.(at least the two hat came with the gun. I can load one, but that is it.

wnycollector
March 19, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have shot wolf, blazer brass and aluminum, aguillia and mastercast rnl and swc at the range w/ my p220with ZERO problems. I have used doubletap, fiocchi and magtech gold jhp's again with no problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P220 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!