Trading post: State required in title- Why?

PDA

evan price
March 16, 2009, 03:16 AM
I understand that sellers are required to list the state of residence in the title- and I assume this is for gun sales so both parties know in advance they are not breaking a law.

However in today's era of The Internet and USPS Priority Flat-Rate Boxes, why is that necessary in the Reloading and the Accessories sublists?

I really don't care where a box of lead boolits or a magazine or a set of grips is located- as long as the post office can find both parties it's all good.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trading post: State required in title- Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tunnug
March 16, 2009, 03:23 AM
I think that is a good rule, a lot of people don't have their location under their username, I've seen stuff for sale in my state that I would just do a FTF, if the info was missing, by the time you determine cost of shipping someone else would/could jump in and take the sale.
sometimes the cost of shipping will kill a good deal.

Mal H
March 16, 2009, 12:43 PM
The quick answers:

1) Obvious legal reasons for firearms, magazines, etc.

2) Ease of searching for a particular item. The Trading Post is a free service for our members. We want to make it at least fairly easy to use for them. They know they can search for any item local to them by searching the titles. Since it is a requirement and not a suggestion, we know they will be able to do the search and not miss many items.

3) By requiring the location in the title, the moderating staff doesn't have to open every single thread to check for a location. We can obviously see whether the rule is being followed by glancing down the forum thread listing.

4) Is a location required for everything as you pointed out, evan? Probably not, except for point number 2 above.

It will remain a requirement.

Zundfolge
March 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hell, I wish we could get people on board with posting their state in exactly the same format.

(CO) for Colorado
(TX) for Texas
etc

Then I could search the forum for "(CO)" and get just the local listings.

I wish every forum had this rule.

Gord
March 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
There must be at least occasional "WTB 50 ROUND AK MAGS AND A MINIGUN (CA)" threads - listing the state in the title is a big help for the mods to recognize that the OP needs to be contacted in such situations, without, as Mal pointed out, having to open each thread to check.

Also, mags are still restricted in several states. What's legal in KY may not be legal in CA, NJ, NY, MD, etc. It's easier to simply require a state in the title for any B/S/T thread than to discuss and craft a list of exceptions (which most people wouldn't read anyway).

Mal H
March 18, 2009, 12:12 AM
which most people wouldn't read anywayCan I get an Amen?!

We decided about 4 years ago to make it a blanket requirement for everything instead of a requirement for firearms and magazines and a few other controlled items, and a nice-to-have for everything else. If it is a hard and fast requirement for everything, it is much easier to always remember to add it instead of having to check a list of items and states. No guessing involved, no muss, no fuss - well, maybe a little fuss, but we can live with that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trading post: State required in title- Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!