Any IDPA shooters here?

PDA

BlayGlock
March 16, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have recently been interested in IDPA matches. I am thinking of joining a local club here and since I like wheelguns wanted to get started in the stock service revolver division. What do you use (or would you use) and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any IDPA shooters here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RobMoore
March 16, 2009, 03:56 PM
Click here

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

and here

http://idpaforum.yuku.com

I know its normally a disrespectful thing to direct someone to another forum from the one they are on, but I think with such a question, the poster would be better served with direction to a place dedicated to the specific sport being asked about, and will find his answer easier, along with answers to questions not yet thought of.

Thaddeus Jones
March 16, 2009, 03:58 PM
Great sport! Lots of fun too.

I have been shooting SSR in IDPA for three years. I started with a 4" model 19, then tried a model 681 for awhile, and have since settled on a 3" model 66-4. The 45 ACP revolvers, and moon clips hold no appeal to me. I'm just a SSR fan.

The K--frames just point more naturally and handle faster, for me.

I did find that using K-frames that are NOT P&R decreased my reloading time. I always had rounds hanging up on the edge of the recessed charge holes.

If you go to observe a match, bring your gear anyway. Once there, you will want to shoot it, trust me. Good luck! TJ

Sam1911
March 16, 2009, 04:09 PM
Howdy!

There are some GREAT IDPA folks from TX! If you go over to www.idpaforum.com, look for Bubba (Terry Burba) and Iron Mike Webb -- among many others. If you can hook up with any of their matches you'll have an awesome time!

I've spent most of the last year shooting SSR with my 4" 629 -- .44 Specials of course -- and managed to accidentally classify Expert the week before the last major match I shot! DOH! :banghead: :o

The big .44 really isn't the hot ticket for SSR, though. If you're looking for a great SSR gun, the 586 and 686 are hard to beat! And with the K-frames and L-frames, you can use Safariland Comp III speedloaders and actually have a prayer of a quick reload. (They don't make them for N-frames...:fire:)

Kydex holsters are probably the very fastest, though I use a "Shado" Bruce Nelson type leather holster and it sure isn't slow.

We need more wheel gun guys in IDPA! For comic relief if nothing else! :D Definitely join up and start shooting. It is highly addictive!

-Sam

MrBorland
March 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
Well, I participated in my first IDPA match last year, with the intention of going regularly, but unexpected personal and professional priorities kept me from going again. I'm planning to to start going again next month.

At any rate, I used my 3" Model 65 in the SSR division, and did ok. I also have a 4" 686, and really don't know why I didn't use it - seems an ideal SSR gun. Next time, I'm definitely using my 686. It's a relatively heavy gun that soaks up recoil nicely, allowing for rapid follow-up shots, and the 4" barrel (and consequent sight radius) is the longest allowed.

The spirit of IDPA, though, isn't to be equipment-focused. My advice would be to just read the rules ahead of time, bring what you have, be safe and have fun. I wouldn't hesitate bringing my 3" 65 again if I didn't have my 686.

BTW, the Brian Enos forum is a great place to get info, as suggested. They also have a revolver subforum and those guys really know their way around a wheelgun.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=43

Landric
March 16, 2009, 04:26 PM
I've been shooting SSR this year so far. I use a S&W 681-3 with +P level 158 grain LRN or LSWC handloads. I have a new 21-4 .44 Special that I would love to shoot in SSR, but .44 Special brass being significantly harder to find than .38 Special brass, I haven't done so. I think I'm going to send the cylinder off for a moon-clip conversion so I can shoot it in ESR and not loose any of my brass.

Sam1911
March 16, 2009, 05:42 PM
I have a new 21-4 .44 Special that I would love to shoot in SSR, but .44 Special brass being significantly harder to find than .38 Special brass, I haven't done so. I think I'm going to send the cylinder off for a moon-clip conversion so I can shoot it in ESR and not loose any of my brass.

Oh, man I'd love to do that! I've been scheming to do it for a while but it seems the moon-clipped .44 isn't quite a perfected system, yet. I've looked and looked and can't find anyone with moon-clip holders that will work with the .44s. Such a silly thing to be hung up on, but an important part of the system (unless you like fishing around in your vest pockets for clips).

I also know there are some clips that work well with some brass, and not so well with other brass. It's just been too much of a headache so far.

On the other hand, it KILLS me that all my loads make at least 170k PF (actually nearer to 190, in the last batch) and I'm still shooting it SSR! I tried downloading 1/2 way into SSR territory but I got a lot of leading. Moved back up to ~850-900 fps and I can shoot 1000 without having to scrub out the barrel.

I also want to switch to .44 Russian brass sometime as even the .44 Spc. cases hang up on extraction occasionally. .44 Russians in a moon clip should be just about as slick as a 625! Unfortunately my pet load (6.7 gr. of Trail Boss under a 200 gr. LRN) just exactly fills up a .44 Spc. case, so I'd have to find another favorite powder if I switch to the shorter cases.

-Sam

BunnyPuncher
March 16, 2009, 05:46 PM
Texas is great for competitive shooting.

I live in San Antonio and between IDPA/USPSA I cannot afford to shoot in every local club level tourny available in a given month. I shoot IDPA monthly.

I'm a newbie to the sport and have an inefficient gun - A S&W Model 28 .357

BlayGlock
March 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like some great info. Anyone use a Ruger GP100?

Daizee
March 16, 2009, 08:54 PM
I've seen one GP100 at a match in CT.
One day I'll get one myself, but at half the price my used S&W model-10 was my entree to SSR (and no scrubbing of crud rings).

IDPA is great fun.

-Daizee

Landric
March 16, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sam1911 said:

Oh, man I'd love to do that! I've been scheming to do it for a while but it seems the moon-clipped .44 isn't quite a perfected system, yet. I've looked and looked and can't find anyone with moon-clip holders that will work with the .44s. Such a silly thing to be hung up on, but an important part of the system (unless you like fishing around in your vest pockets for clips).

I also know there are some clips that work well with some brass, and not so well with other brass. It's just been too much of a headache so far.

On the other hand, it KILLS me that all my loads make at least 170k PF (actually nearer to 190, in the last batch) and I'm still shooting it SSR! I tried downloading 1/2 way into SSR territory but I got a lot of leading. Moved back up to ~850-900 fps and I can shoot 1000 without having to scrub out the barrel.

I also want to switch to .44 Russian brass sometime as even the .44 Spc. cases hang up on extraction occasionally. .44 Russians in a moon clip should be just about as slick as a 625! Unfortunately my pet load (6.7 gr. of Trail Boss under a 200 gr. LRN) just exactly fills up a .44 Spc. case, so I'd have to find another favorite powder if I switch to the shorter cases.

I think you read my mind. I recently picked up 1100 Starline .44 Russian cases with the intention of using them once I get the moon-clip conversion. The .44 Russian loads are almost exactly the same size as the .45ACP, so they should fit fine in the moon clip carriers available for the 6-shot .45ACP. The place I am looking at doing the conversion sells the moon clips and advises the use of Starline brass with them. Since the only brass I can find in .44 Russian is Starline anyway, I don't think that will be a problem. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm working up loads now.

Bunny Puncher said:

I'm a newbie to the sport and have an inefficient gun - A S&W Model 28 .357

I don't see how, I think the model 28 would be a fantastic SSR gun.

Sam1911
March 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wow. For some reason, I never even considered that the .44 and .45 moon clips would work well on the same carrier. If you try it out, let me know how it goes. I'd love to do this sometime later this year. I'm actually signed up to shoot MD States in SSR and PA States in ESR with the same gun and equipment. Wonder if I could get it reworked between those matches? Probably better off just practicing what I do now, for the time being.

You sending it off to TK Customs to get the work done?

Bunny Puncher is probably saying that an N-frame .357 is bigger and heavier than either the K- or L-frames. I can't find statistics on weight (S&W's site doesn't list it for the 27 oddly) but I have a feeling it's over weight for SSR. My 629 only makes it by 1/2 an oz. (Like 41.5 oz. in stock form.) With less metal removed in cutting the barrel and chambers, I'd bet the 27 / 28 is too heavy.

-Sam

Landric
March 16, 2009, 10:19 PM
I am planning on sending it to TK Custom. I went with the 21-4 instead of the 22-4 (.45ACP) for two main reasons, first I got a fantastic deal on the 21-4 (probably because factory .44 Special ammunition is harder to find and more expensive than .45ACP), and second because the .44 Special is a lot more versatile than the .45ACP for a handloader.

I expect that the .44 Special brass wouldn't fit the .45ACP moon clip carriers, but I see no reason why .44 Russian brass wouldn't.

Hopefully my 21-4 cylinder will be going off soon for the conversion. Once I get it back I'll post the results.

You may be right about the weight of the Model 28. If it makes weight, it seems like an ideal SSR gun to me though.

loneviking
March 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, the N frames will usually go over the weight limit for SSR. I've just started with IDPA and it's a lot of fun. I have both a 3"/65 and a 4"/19, the 19 is what I prefer to use for both accuracy and speed. There are two other guys in the club using Mod. 19's, and one guy using (I think) a Mod. 60 with a 4" barrel. I haven't seen any 586/686's or Rugers yet, but I'd bet it's just a matter of time.

As for holsters, I just use my everyday carry holster from simplyrugged and it's a holster that you can draw from very quickly. If you really get serious about competitions, then go up to a lined Kydex like what Tucker gunleather sells. I just prefer my street holster as I shoot IDPA both for fun and to be ready for anything wicked that comes my way. If, God forbid, that day comes, I want my reactions to be no different than if I was working through a circuit on the IDPA course.

BlayGlock
March 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
btt.....

GEM
March 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
Where in TX?

The Austin/San Antonio area - www.rivercityshooters.com ; www.texastactical.net

Check www.krtraining.com for an area FAQ.

Bandera, TX has a club also.

There are many outlets in Houston, Dallas, Corpus.

frankt
March 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
I started with a 4" heavy barrel model 10 and shot it for a while but my old eyes have trouble picking up that little sight.

I bought a 686 and put a Millett rear and a Fiber Optic front sight on it.

I use a Talon Tactical Kydex holster, Comp III Speedloaders and Ready Tactical holders.

I sometimes use my 2.5" 66 also.

I rigged up some boxes to hold my rounds in blocks, it sure makes loading the speedloaders quicker during a big match. This one fits a K frame gun and I have a little different one for the L frame.

BlayGlock
March 23, 2009, 04:26 PM
I live near Tyler which has a club. I also went ahead with the GP100. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any IDPA shooters here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!