Is it ok to put a Walther P88 barrel in a P88 Compact?

PDA

tiders
March 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
Would a P88 barrel in a P88 Compact function as normal? Are there any differences that may prevent the gun from function as normal? Has it been done?

I'm looking to get a P88 barrel and have it threaded to accept a silencer but need to know it will go bang before I spring for the barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it ok to put a Walther P88 barrel in a P88 Compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SharpsDressedMan
March 16, 2009, 08:09 PM
Contact Earl at Earl's Repair (Walther). He probably has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about Walthers, and may even have a barrel.

searcher451
March 16, 2009, 09:44 PM
Contacting Earl Sheehan is a good idea on this one; he definitely would know. Here's a link to his website:

http://www.carlwalther.com/

Good luck.

lechiffre
March 17, 2009, 01:24 AM
not much there for threading

no i am not going to shoot it like that

tiders
March 17, 2009, 05:04 AM
Come on, you've got to at least try it! :D

I've compared the technical drawings on the two models now. The P88’s barrel is 102mm and the Compact only 99.8 mm. That’s not much lest to thread. It looks like you have a bit more to go on there Lechiffre, could I ask you to measure the part of the barrel sticking out? Preferably in mm’s.

Thanks for the tip on Earl's Repair. I live in Norway and your State department has banned the export of a lot of shooting supplies including speed loaders, even to friendly NATO allies like us. I doubt if he would want to spend the time and money to get an export licence.

Maybe the 6” P88 Champion barrel is the way to go. I’ll check with my importer. Thanks for the input!

Oh yeah. Lechiffre, are there any obvious differences between the two barrels apart from length?

searcher451
March 17, 2009, 12:30 PM
Tiders: Earl may or may not have an exporter's license (I'd be surprised if he did not), but the point is that he would know the answer to your original post. Send him an email and see what he has to say. He's generally very good at getting back to questions in a day's time.

Good luck.

tiders
March 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Wilco. Thanks...

lechiffre
March 18, 2009, 03:12 AM
there is about 4mm of barrel exposed past the slide.

on the p88 barrel there is a step just in front of the chamber where the barrel gets thinner.

on the p88c barrel the barrel gets thinner at the step than it does on the p88. then near the muzzle there is another step were the diameter returns to the same size as the p88 barrel.

hope that helps.

i would still talk to earl.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it ok to put a Walther P88 barrel in a P88 Compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!