Opinions Welcome on a Sub-Compact 9mm

PDA

Duramaximum
March 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
When I get a steady income I will be in the market for a sub-compact 9mm for concealed carry. Here is my 'cognitive set' of pistols with what I perceive as their pros and cons. I have also included the prices on them I have seen in local gun stores. Feel free to drop in your two cents.

HK USP Compact 9mm-$713:
Pros: Excellent build quality, accurate, reliable, the ergonomics work very well for me, holds 13 rounds, and it's endorsed by Jack Bauer :D.
Cons: It's really stinking expensive.

Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact 9mm-$468:
Pros: Great value, very compact, good accuracy, and free gear.
Cons: Proportions are a little strange for me.

Glock 26 9mm-$549:
Pros: Stupidly reliable, parts are easy to come by and easy to swap (i.e. magazines,) overall a very solid handgun.
Cons: I've never liked Glocks, the polymer frame always felt too 'plasticky' like a toy, not as good a value as the XD, and I've heard they're not that accurate.

Walther PPS 9mm-N/A (Haven't seen one yet):
Pros: Very slim & ergonomic design.
Cons: Only holds 7+1 rounds, fairly expensive.

Walther PPK .380acp-$479:
Pros: Classic design, super-concealable, solid metal frame & it's on my 'Own Before You Die' list.
Cons: Can get an XD that is 9mm Luger, that holds 3 more rounds, that was designed in this millennium, for the same price.

Ruger LCP.380acp-$279:
Pros: It's so small you could conceal it in your nose & it is a great value as well.
Cons: Only holds 6+1 rounds, the recall makes build quality questionable, & is .380acp really enough gun?

So there you have it. Feel free to add other suggestions, I know you will. Flame On!!:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions Welcome on a Sub-Compact 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlayGlock
March 16, 2009, 07:16 PM
I voted "other" for the Kahr CW9. Much more concealable than the other 9mm listed IMO. I really enjoy mine.

verdun59
March 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
My vote is for the Kahr PM9. Mine is like the energizer bunny it just keeps on going.

kostner
March 16, 2009, 07:31 PM
Kahr PM9 is easy to conceal and shots surprisingly well. It is amaller than any 380 Ive seen.

Taurus_9mm
March 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
XD for me. :)

Knightrider03m
March 16, 2009, 08:44 PM
I vote other, if you want something compact you should look at the S&W M&P.

geronimo509
March 16, 2009, 08:51 PM
I voted other and I like the Kahr MK9 a little pricey but it is well worth it.

BoneDigger
March 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. LOVE IT!

Todd

BoneDigger
March 16, 2009, 09:03 PM
Oops, double post.

Todd

Shytheed Dumas
March 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
I voted 'Other' for three reasons:

1. Kahr PM9
2. Kahr MK9 (if you want all steel)
3. Kahr CW9 (if the PM is too pricey)

I've owned the first two and they both exceeded my expectations for carry guns. They were designed for CCW from the beginning, after all. :)

The Lone Haranguer
March 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
Kahr PM9.

grimjaw
March 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
sub-compact 9mm for concealed carry

The Kahr PM9 was one of the easiest and (at the time) most affordable (note I did not say "inexpensive") of the uber-compact 9x19 pistols. The prices seem to have gone up since then. I put mine through the break-in period with no other problems than occasionally getting a failure to feed the first round in the magazine if using the slide release (sling shotting the slide worked fine). If I had it to do over again, I'd get the MK9.

I've got a G26, and I do not find it to be inaccurate, or a bad value compared to the XD9 subcompact, which is even more of a brick.

jm

BlindJustice
March 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
Others:

A couple to consider if you're going to put the lCP on this llist
both are single stack, so slim for CCW.

Sig P239 3.3" Bbl. you may not consider a sub compact
but has a alternate 10 shot mag. with conformal part around
the lower part for a full grip.

and a little less expensive $420 at CDNN

S&W 908 is was preceded by the 39-2, 3913 and Chiefs Special 9mm
it just has the economy black finish.

Randall

X

ShadyScott999
March 16, 2009, 09:27 PM
Kahr CW 9

oneounceload
March 16, 2009, 09:36 PM
If you want the smallest 9mm, then a Riohrbaugh, but they are running around 1100 nowadays. I have a G-26 and it works fine at the distances I would use it for

searcher451
March 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
I've got a Walther PPS in both 9mm and .40 S&W. It's a terrific gun: easy to conceal, a great fit for the hand, surprisingly accurate, and as dependable as the turning of the earth. You get what you pay for, and Walther quality is rock-solid.

22LRFan
March 16, 2009, 09:44 PM
You may want to consider the cheaper (and some say easier to shoot due to less recoil) Bersa Thunder/Firestorm 380. I don't see the .380 ACP as an anemic cartridge, but it is getting harder to find with the outbreak of pocket pistols that chamber the round.

You may want to consider a Makarov or CZ variant (82 I think...83 is a .380/.32). They're tough pistols and easier on the wallet than a Walther.

10-Ring
March 16, 2009, 10:09 PM
I like the size, feel & shootabity of the HK :cool:

7mmSTW
March 16, 2009, 10:29 PM
I like the USP (carry a fullsize 40), that being said I'd recomend a P30, p2000, or p2000SK over it for carry. Same reliable package with updated ergos.

KINGMAX
March 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
XD = FEELS GOOD in my hand

D-Man
March 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
Be sure to look at the M&Pc line.

If I'm able to get back to a state where I can legally carry again, the first two guns I'm going to go back and think about buying are the M&Pc and/or MK9.

What area do you live in? This may help decide how small of a gun you need (though the options you're looking at should be relatively easy to conceal).

WVleo
March 17, 2009, 06:19 AM
I voted other as the Kahr PM9 is my choice. Light pistol, easy to manage recoil, very accurate . Mine hasn't had a single issue in over 700 rounds............WVleo

Probie9
March 17, 2009, 07:06 AM
Taurus Millennium Pro PT111. Feels good in the hand and $345 in SS here. Just my opinion.

sgj
March 17, 2009, 07:37 AM
Smith and Wesson M&P 9c

TIMC
March 17, 2009, 07:59 AM
My Choice for a small 9mm was the Kahr MK9, great little gun.

chuckusaret
March 17, 2009, 08:37 AM
XD but I would get it in 40 caliber and of course sub compact

benderx4
March 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
HK P7M8

Best and safest compact 9mm anywhere!

Thomas Garrett
March 17, 2009, 08:48 AM
Kahr MK-9, I just like all steel. My .02 cents worth

KBintheSLC
March 17, 2009, 05:04 PM
Glock 26 9mm-$549:
Pros: Stupidly reliable, parts are easy to come by and easy to swap (i.e. magazines,) overall a very solid handgun.
Cons: I've never liked Glocks, the polymer frame always felt too 'plasticky' like a toy, not as good a value as the XD, and I've heard they're not that accurate.

Way wrong on the accuracy. My G26 is as accurate as any full-sized model. Whoever you heard that from likely has poor form. IMO

Ala Dan
March 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
For a "MINI" size autoloader, I prefer the KEL-TEC P3AT .380; but suppose
I want to step up too a 9m/m, then I tend to favor the Kahr CW-9~! Both,
make great CCW pieces~! ;) :D

Davionmaximus
March 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
Xdxdxdxdxd:d

HoosierQ
March 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
Smith and Wesson Military and Police 9c. Ergonomic, priced right, great warranty.

Never had a failure. Wish I had the new thumb safety model though.

Quack
March 17, 2009, 06:10 PM
Springfield EMP :)

had a G26 and it worked well. tastes have changed towards 1911s.

had a XD9 sub. and it was a little to blocky for my tastes. preferred the G26 over it.

had a CW9. didn't like the crappy trigger, but liked the size.

telomere
March 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
Cant go wrong with the XD.
I also second/third the addition on the M&P to your possibilities.
Kahr's are great too, if a little pricier. But they helped themselves out in that column with the CW line.

Heard lots of good things about Kel-Tecs, lots of bad too though. I have no experience.
Got a friend who loves his Beretta PX4SC.

Seems strange to have 2 .380's in a post titled "Opinions Welcome on a Sub-Compact 9mm"

Duramaximum
March 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
"Seems strange to have 2 .380's in a post titled "Opinions Welcome on a Sub-Compact 9mm""

I just said 9mm, I didn't specify Luger or Kurz. I was wondering if anyone would catch it though.:p

jocko
March 17, 2009, 07:55 PM
can't beat um , for size, quality, weight and firepower.

PM9 loaded with 7 rounds total weight 18 ounces. kinda hard to beat that or even get real close, other than the Rohrbaugh in a quality gun, IMO..

Burl
March 17, 2009, 10:25 PM
pm9 or mk9 depending on your weight requirements.

Mr. Alloy
March 18, 2009, 12:21 AM
Wow, glad to see so many PM9 fans. Definitely my vote (although I voted for PPS in the poll because of its comparable size).

Kahr MK-9, I just like all steel. My .02 cents worth

I sense you might find this clip to be quite eye-opening! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ3Oz5JVKs

Ben86
March 18, 2009, 12:29 AM
I voted Glock 26 because it's what I have and the only one from the list I have shot. Glocks are accurate by the way. I'm not a big fan of the stock sights but accuracy is not a problem.

I just want to point out that the .380s are in a league of their own when it comes to compactness. A .380 or .38 sp is a true pocket gun, small enough to fit in almost all normal sized jean pockets. The 9mm subs are considerably larger and are best suited for IWB carry. Although if you make it a point to only buy pants with really big pockets I suppose it could work for you.

S&W M&P9Cs are also really great. It is my wife's favorite gun. To me though the Glock 19 is the supreme CC gun.

Mr. Alloy, that clip is hilarious! Wow.

Mr. Alloy
March 18, 2009, 12:39 AM
J-frames and PM9s are roughly the same size, with the Kahr having a slight edge. See review on Gunblast for pictures.

MICHAEL T
March 18, 2009, 01:04 AM
other Colt Agent or Defender Why a 9 when can have a 45 is same basic package

crawfobj
March 18, 2009, 01:11 AM
+1 on the XD subcompact. Mine is in .40.

Also +1 on the Kel Tec P3AT, for when the shirt is tucked in.

crawfobj
March 18, 2009, 01:12 AM
I looked at the Kahr models when I bought the XD. I may have to revisit that at some point after all the recommendations here.

ognnosnim
March 18, 2009, 01:46 AM
+1 on the Glock 26.

Its a great gun, reliable, parts are readily available, accurate, corrosion resistant, cost efficient, points easily, mags are cheap, and much more.

chuckusaret
March 18, 2009, 08:46 AM
I suggest you go to the gun store, pick up and feel every SD gun he has. The one, two or three that feel the best in your hand rent and shoot. I can almost bet that a XD will be your pick in the feel test and the shooting test. I CC a XD40 SC with a NAA380 backup and I also have a S&W M&P 9MM compact and a S&W M&P 40 they are my #2 and # 3 best liked guns. My other guns are just range shooters.

kokapelli
March 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Kahr PM9

Most of the pistols you have listed are either not subcompact or not considered 9mm.

NG VI
March 18, 2009, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Glock 26 9mm-$549:
Way wrong on the accuracy. My G26 is as accurate as any full-sized model. Whoever you heard that from likely has poor form. IMO

Beat me to it, my Glock 27 is crazy accurate, shoots at least as wel as anything else own other than my S&W Model 28. And they are incredibly corrosin resistant and their flatness makes the very comfortable to carry for me.

MisterMike
March 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
I've also got the Glock 26 and I don't have any issues with its accuracy--even with my dismal skills I can achieve pretty tight groupings.

However, despite the fact that it's the "Baby Glock," it's not as tiny as Herr Glock would have you believe. It's a fairly noticeable chunk of steel and plastic, particularly if you carry it IWB . . . not huge, but certainly not as compact as, for instance, the Kahr. The short grip is a problem for some, since your pinky ends up under the magazine. Personally, I shot fine with it, but have added Pearce magazine extensions. The don't make me any more accurate, but the grip feels better with the extensions.

On the plus side, when carrying the 26 I feel like I'm carrying a "real" pistol, one that has all the quality and dependability of a full-size Glock. I've put a fair number of rounds through it (certainly more than 1,000), with narry a hiccup. There are a bajillion ways to customize it, and accessories are readily available.

All things considered, it's a really nice gun, though a bit chunkier than some others you have mentioned. That's my only caveat--if you want a really small pistol, you should at least handle the Glock and compare it directly to some of the others to ensure that the size is acceptable to you.

Hanafuda
March 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
I'd be another one recommending the M&P9c if I had to stick only with 9mm 'subcompact' auto. But since you allowed for 'other,' here's my 2 cents.

If a handgun is to be used in anything but a concealment role, then a fullsize pistol works more reliably, has greater ammo capacity, fires the same round at a higher velocity, is more accurate, and recoils less.

If its a handgun for concealed carry, there are a lot of reasons to get your head out of the 'autopistol frame of mind' and get yourself a hammerless snubnose (i.e. 642, 340pd, etc.)

- not perfectly reliable, but much closer to it

- reliability not affected by different loads and ammo types (fmj, jhp, swc, glaser's, dumdum, etc etc.)

- can be fired from within a roomy coat pocket, repeatedly (autopistol may fail to return to battery)

- can be fired when shoved up against something (ribs) repeatedly (autopistol may fail to return to battery)

- highly variable selection of ammo (.38spl, .357mag, different loads and pressures)

- doesn't drop tell-tale brass all over the place. (just sayin')

Of course, the big drawback is capacity. Pick your poison.

Duramaximum
March 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
I guess I will go a little more indepth on what I'm looking for.

I have a Kimber Custom II in .45acp that I normally carry IWB. I would be buying this pistol for a shoulder holster rig to use when I have light clothing.

I understand the .40 S&W is a better round but I like the universal availability of the 9mm and because the ammo is relatively cheaper for the range.

I would also slightly prefer that it would at least have at least a 10 round capacity.

The reason that I am not considering revolvers is that I have found I can't shoot as well with one. I was at the range with a friend one day with his .38spl and .357mag snub nose revolvers. I rapid fired both at about 7yrds and only put one round in the paper. Pathetic, I know. I would just need more practice.

I just find auto loaders more naturally. I do want to get a .357mag at some point in time, but it's not what I'm looking for right now.

These are great suggestions and insight. I compeletly forgot about Kahr. Keep 'em coming! Thanks a bunch!

Guns and more
March 18, 2009, 02:02 PM
I guess a .380 technically is a 9mm. short.
In your header you say "sub-compact" But the poll is for "compact".

Assuming you're talking about small, and 9mm., I don't think you can better the PM-9.

JImbothefiveth
March 18, 2009, 02:12 PM
I don't like DA/SA, I don't like .380 and I hear the Kahrs are sometimes unreliable, so I voted g26. I don't know anything about the springfield.

capttom
March 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
I've never understood the problem with Glocks. Some people either hate or fear them. Certainly the design is an answer to the question of how to efficiently and economically arm oneself, not the perfect answer that the ads or Glock-0-philes profess, but an answer nonetheless.
I'm happy with my Glock 26, although not as wedded to it as many of my police officer friends.
However, I prefer my Smith 908. With a fingertip mag, it's about 1/3 inch longer and taller than the similarly equipped 26 and being a single stack, it hides much better for me. I give up 2 or 4 rounds per magazine, but I honestly don't expect to get into many firefights.

kokapelli
March 19, 2009, 09:09 AM
When I purchased my Kahr K9, the K9 was new and I'd never heard of it. I had gone to the store to look at a G26.

The clerk handed me the Kahr and said feel this and you won't want to give it back.

He was right, it felt way better in my small hand than the G26 and I have been a Kahr man since.

My K9 in the many years I've had it has never failed in anyway and my PM9 though only 2 years old has also has been perfect.:D

Stripey
March 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
So the K9 gets my vote

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
None of the above, except maybe the Walther PPS or XD. The HK isn't a subcompact, anyway, of course. I'd look at:

CZ RAMI

Kahr MK9

Rohrbaugh R9

HK P7 (though it's not really a subcompact either)

Springfield EMP or other subcompact 1911

I have to ask though: "WHY a sub-compact?" Because a compact which is THIN is easier to conceal than a subcompact which is not thin. What's going to be the METHOD of carry for this gun?

shield20
March 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
P99C in 9mm.

Better feel then the PPS, better price then the HK, roughly the same size as the PPS & even the PPK/s (a bit wider of course). Ultra reliable, very shootable. Good capacity. Both style mags are comfortable enough (pinky extension or pinky tucked under) and better then the HK. 9mm.

Water-Man
March 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
Sig P239

kokapelli
March 23, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have to ask though: "WHY a sub-compact?" Because a compact which is THIN is easier to conceal than a subcompact which is not thin. What's going to be the METHOD of carry for this gun?
What compact pistol is as thin in 9mm and will conceal as well as a Rohrbaugh or PM9?

edSky
March 23, 2009, 12:13 PM
Springfield EMP. Nice and compact, single stack, conceals nicely. Accurate as heck, but usually needs a gunsmith (since Springfield has their chamber too tight).

ScareyH22A
March 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
For the ultimate CCW 9mm you can't look anywhere else than a PM9. If you had all the ones listed plus the PM9 in front of you, you'd know exactly what everyone's talking about. Having handled the G26 and the P2000SK, they're tactical bricks compared to the svelte PM9.

DawgFvr
March 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
I just read this on another gun site and felt it needed a reprint for members of this board. For your perusual...not trying to stir up a hornets' nest:

The following was posted on Survival Blog a while back by a reader who is a firearms instructor. The two are rather long, though I edited for brevity, but are worth reading I think becuase your life may depend upon many of the things mentioned herein. Original here:SurvivalBlog.com

Observations on Real World Pistol Malfunctions and Failures, by PPPP

"I just returned from instructing a handgun course with 42 people on my range, and another 40 on my brother's range. (He is also an instructor). I wanted to pass along some information on handgun maintenance and note several observations from this weekend that are typical in the courses we teach (approximately 800 rounds fired [per student] over several days).
First., the [Model] 1911 model handguns took top honors in failures (defined as taking you out of the fight, not just a malfunction). Six of the approximately 25 [Model] 1911s had these problems. (includes both ranges). This is typical! While 1911s have their merits, they are consistently prone to failures. Some are stone cold reliable, but you really won't know until hundreds to thousands of rounds later. Often the most expensive finely-tuned 1911s have the most problems. Have spare parts on hand and know how to service your weapon.

A side note for all handgun users, but particularly the 1911 group: Be sure to check your handgun for sharp edges on the slide, controls and any other piece of the handgun and have these sharp edges removed professionally if possible... you'd be surprised at how many bloody hands we had over the weekend.

Second. The Springfield [Armory] XD grip safety needs to be fully depressed. Not fully gripping the firearm can prevent malfunction clearances and obviously prevent firing the weapon. It was unusual, but one grip safety actually broke, rendering the firearm inoperative.

Third. Recoil springs can get weak after high round-counts causing a failure to feed, so replace them occasionally (applies to all makes and models of handguns).

Fourth. There were a few malfunctions with Glocks, but no failures. Over the long haul the factory plastic sights should be replaced with the more durable iron sights.

Fifth. Use high quality magazines and have lots of them!

Sixth. SIG [brand pistol]s had no failures, but the heavy double action initial trigger pull, followed by the light single action second pull caused students to perform poorly. As a result of the two differing trigger pulls, many students [armed with SIGs] tried to "game it" by leaving the hammer cocked and re-holstering which is a big safety concern. One student narrowly missed shooting his leg when re-holstering because of this. A note on SIGs: While there is nothing wrong with SIG's quality or reliability, remember that due to the two differing trigger pulls this handgun will require three to four times the amount of practice to master compared with any other common handgun.

This is a follow up post by another instructor Also edited for brevity. Original Here: SurvivalBlog.com

I've mentioned to you before that I'm a affiliate instructor with another major firearms training school. The comments made [by correspondent PPPP] about pistol malfunctions are 100% in line with what we see on our firing lines, as well.

We advise our students to run away screaming from any weapon that has 'target', 'match', 'custom', or 'accurized' stamped on the side of them. . . . when you have something with moving parts, the parts need room to move! Most custom shop and high dollar pistols are temperamental beasts that react very poorly to heat and dirt. We see the $1,200+ [Model] 1911 choke and seize up all the time once the guns get hot. Most people buy guns and they never shoot them, in fact, last time I heard a statistic regarding firearms usage in the United States, the national average of rounds fired per gun was seven - and that is over the entire lifetime of the owner! Manufacturers sell guns that they bet will never see hard use, and usually they win that bet. And the tight, 'accurate' 1911s lead that pack. This is why it is imperative that every reader of your blog get out to the range and run their guns for real!

Standing in a booth at the local indoor range, picking your gun up off of a table, and firing when you choose to at a static piece of paper, is at best an exercise in marksmanship. You haven't been training for real until things start breaking. We announce at the beginning of every class, that it is our sincerest hope, that everything our students brought with them - every gun, every holster, every magazine - breaks! If it sucks, we want to find that out now, not when innocent life is on the line. We run the gear and the students hard because that is the only way to truly test things, and it's the best way to build the confidence of the operator.

Things that I would add to the list of bad ideas:

1.) 8-round magazines for the 1911. I've seen few that finish two days of training without blowing apart. Usually the floor plate dislodges from the base of the magazine, leaving the student standing there with a pistol gummed up with loose rounds, a follower and a spring clogging the ejection port, and a magazine body that they can't get out of the well.

2.) Recoil buffers - get these out of your life! Get them out of your pistols and get them out of your rifles! They never fail to disintegrate under heavy use, rendering the weapon useless until disassembled and cleaned out.

3.) Extended this, and enlarged that. Don't modify guns with oversized slide stops or extended mag release buttons, mercury guide rods or rubber grip sleeves, etc... There's one bit of wisdom that I learned the hard way years ago: There is nothing you can buy, bolt, glue or screw to a gun that will align your sights and press your trigger for you. You cannot spend money on things to make you shoot better, regardless of what our modern American mindset tells us. Marksmanship comes from proper technique and proper practice, and good old fashioned work. . . . Save your money and spend it on training"

jdmb03
March 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
M&P9c

The Lone Haranguer
March 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
There is nothing you can buy, bolt, glue or screw to a gun that will align your sights and press your trigger for you.
:) I am going to shamelessly arrogate that.

Zerodefect
March 28, 2009, 08:40 PM
I voted for the G26. Its not the smallest but its small enough and it is the most reliable for me. I moved up to the G19 though, it conceals as well and I shoot it alot better under pressure.

Though for small guns I'd have to go with the super ugly Walther PPS. The only thing that didn't work for me was the odd mag release lever.

I'd avoid the little Ruger and Keltec p32/ p3at. Tiny sight radius plus tiny sights make it hard to aim. And even if your close enough to not need the sights, (just point shoot) the stiff trigger makes that challenging to. My p32 is a BU only. I can thow it more accuratly than I can shoot it.

goose2
March 28, 2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know much about the other guns listed in your pole but my vote goes to a SA XD 9mm SC. I just purchased one and that thing is one heck of a gun. I shoot some very good groups with it and it never ever FTF or FTE.

76shuvlinoff
March 29, 2009, 08:34 AM
I like my XDs and the Glocks I've shot are fine poly weapons too. I prefer 40s

But.... when the day comes that I cc the 9mm caliber I will want it in quality pocket sized shooter. I'm still looking for one that fills that criteria. .....that I can afford... :o

mbr
March 29, 2009, 09:22 AM
I am a little confused by your statement about wanting a sub-compact to carry in a shoulder holster for hot weather carry. It seems to me that if you are going to go the trouble of getting a shoulder holster, you can continue to carry your Kimber. Small, light, guns like the ones described are better suited for IWB, ankle, pocket, etc. carry, IMHO. Have you tried a shoulder holster? My limited experience, (I went through a similar process as you), a couple of years ago led me to the conclusion that, at least for me, the only way to wear a shoulder holster and not print was under a blazer or heavy shirt-jac. The straps, buckles, adjustments, just show through any kind of a light shirt. The only one I have seen that looks promising, though I do not have personal experience, is the K.L. Null series: http://www.klnullholsters.com/NewHolsters/ush-x.htm

I think if you are sold on a shoulder holster, why not consider the next size up? Say a Glock G19 instead of a G26? Not that much harder to conceal, but for most easier to shoot. Good luck with your search.

gimlet1/21
March 29, 2009, 10:54 AM
Kel-tec PF9 light, simple and reliable. Get a nylon padded IWB holster and you can wear all day with comfort.

kentucky_smith
March 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
What compact pistol is as thin in 9mm and will conceal as well as a Rohrbaugh or PM9?

Walther PPS

Guns and more
March 29, 2009, 11:27 AM
Not fully gripping the firearm can prevent malfunction clearances and obviously prevent firing the weapon.
What the heck is he saying?
I've seen few that finish two days of training without blowing apart. Usually the floor plate dislodges from the base of the magazine, leaving the student standing there with a pistol gummed up with loose rounds,
What are they doing? Throwing them against the wall?

Caeser2001
March 29, 2009, 02:59 PM
232 or 239?

noob_shooter
March 29, 2009, 03:37 PM
Glock 26.. check out this video if you think they aren't that accurate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvMJcmpVsQ

wanderinwalker
March 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
And don't look back or think twice about it.

If you want something really small to fit in a pocket, get a Kel-Tec 32, 3AT, Ruger LCP or a J-frame revolver. If you're going to carry it on a belt holster or a shoulder rig, the Glock should carry fine.

I have a Kel-Tec PF-9, which is my "bicycle gun," but I am seriously considering trading it for a J-frame .38. The Kel-Tec hurts me to shoot; the Glock is about the smallest, service-caliber semi-auto pistol I have 100% faith in and doesn't cause me pain. Also, the "baby" Glock gives up nothing to it's larger siblings in mechanical accuracy, durability and reliability. Both my Glocks are boringly reliable, and even my DA S&Ws have more hiccups than the Glocks.

Might I mention I can shoot the Glock well enough to put clays on the 25 yard berm in danger more often than not? And it will accept magazines from the 19, 17 AND 33-rounders?

(For future reference, a chunk of grit (unburned power, chunk of lead, bullet jacket, etc) under the ejector star of your S&W or Ruger revolver will drive you nuts until you get it out of there. They like the be clean in places.)

Oh, and I think the XD subs look kind of funky. But that's just one man's opinion. ;)

Autolycus
March 29, 2009, 06:32 PM
I would go with an HK P2000sk.

jigglyjames29
March 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
Accuracy of a Glock 26:
(Skip to around 2:30 for the actual shooting)

kokapelli
March 30, 2009, 05:18 PM
Accuracy of a Glock 26:
(Skip to around 2:30 for the actual shooting)

Personally I think that video tells us more about the skills of the shooter than it does about the pistol.

I bet he would do just as well with an XD, Kahr or any good quality pistol if he had shot one of them as much as he has shot the Glock.

I assume that video was taken in his yard where he has fired thousands and thousands of rounds with Glocks.

distra
March 30, 2009, 07:47 PM
M&Pc or PF9, Kahr is fine, but pricey.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions Welcome on a Sub-Compact 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!