Who moderates the moderators?

PDA

MountainBear
March 16, 2009, 10:11 PM
Perhaps not the proper place to ask, but its as good as I can find. Who moderates the moderators? Sometimes I believe they get a little heavy handed with their little chopping block (i.e. the thread CLOSED button) and there should be somewhere to complain.
I tried to discuss this with a moderator, and it came down to me saying "so it comes down to the fact that you're the moderator?" and he said exactly. Is there no higher power?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who moderates the moderators?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
March 16, 2009, 11:02 PM
You can figure that the moderators are grownups, and were invited to be moderators after (commonly) years of good, contributory posts. Years. Discussed among the staff before being asked to be dumb enough to enlist.

All in all, these ten years of watching and reading, I very rarely have found where a moderator's judgement was lacking. Generally, this is corrected via staff discussions. This is particularly true when some complaining member has a history of repetitious postings of little merit.

Since there are many thousands of active members and many tens to hundreds of threads to read in any one day, there's not all that much time to hold somebody's hand and try to bring them up to speed as regards mature behavior. Even moderators have lives away from the Internet.

MountainBear
March 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
Again, no comments I can think of won't get me kicked out of here, so I guess I either live with it or go away.

Mal H
March 16, 2009, 11:23 PM
MountainBear, by that I take it that you can say nothing but disparaging remarks at this time? If you do indeed have something constructive to say - say it. No one has ever been banned for politely giving the moderating staff good advice, but if you feel that ad hominems are the only things you can add at this point, then silence is probably the better tack to take.

PT1911
March 16, 2009, 11:32 PM
looks as though someone got their feelings hurt and doesnt know a constructive way to deal.. I suggest a comforting hot bath, some soothing music, candles, and a guns and ammo magazine...:neener:

MountainBear
March 16, 2009, 11:39 PM
I believe that a moderator closed a thread because he felt it might deteriorate and someone would end up with sour feelings. When I asked, the moderator agreed that it was not there yet, but he said "it wasn't going anywhere" and he felt it might deteriorate so he closed it.
I just think that it's not right to close a conversation simply because they think it "might" deteriorate and someone "might" get their feelings hurt.

I understand you guys are overworked and underpaid, and I appreciate you guys not only keeping this place running, but running civil.

I just get a little annoyed when someone says because I'm in charge, thats why. I was just attempting to bring light to an apparent policy, that of closing threads because they MIGHT get unruly or someone MIGHT get their feelings hurt. We're all adults here. If someone can't handle being told that their opinion is wrong and gets their feelings hurt, mayhaps they need to go elsewhere.

Just my opinion. Do with it as you will.

MountainBear
March 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
looks as though someone got their feelings hurt and doesnt know a constructive way to deal.. I suggest a comforting hot bath, some soothing music, candles, and a guns and ammo magazine...

Actually I'm not sure I have feelings to hurt. I just tend to think about responses before making them. I wasn't sure how best to phrase my comments while being fair to everyone.

Oh, and I am not a big Guns and Ammo fan. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mal H
March 16, 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks, MountainBear, that was a good description of your grievance, and it was constructive.

Fred Fuller
March 17, 2009, 12:54 AM
Well, let's see.

If we let a thread that's apparently headed for the ditches run on and on, then sometimes it isn't a question just of closing a thread but of handing out infractions to members who get carried away in the continuing discussion- or even worse, banning members who get so carried away they go beyond the pale.

We watch threads go downhill here all too often. After a while you kinda get a feel for what is going to turn itself around, and what isn't. AFAIK, all of us who see the extra buttons on the board software had rather stand accused of slamming the door on a deteriorating thread too soon rather than catching it when it's gone so far we have to do other things. There are LOTS of threads here, but not lots of staff. So we might be more proactive when we see something going sideways than some folks might prefer. That's just the way it works sometimes. We can't always babysit and nursemaid every thread that gets in trouble.

We'd rather lose threads than members. Threads can always be restarted with a better tack, but bans are forever. So sometimes threads go bye-bye too soon. Did a moderator here really say to you that they closed a thread "because I'm in charge, that's why?"

lpl

Art Eatman
March 17, 2009, 01:00 AM
MB, experience shows that some subjects are gonna be downhill all the way.

We once had "Legal & Political" forum, but the political discussions degenerated into emotional arguments and flame wars. So, now it's only a Legal forum. (With, sometimes, some of the worst legal advice in the entire history of tinfoil hattery.)

There are other subjects more specific to guns qua guns which pretty much invariably go downhill, and the best efforts of a rational few cannot save them. So, with many threads and many posts, it's generally best to go on and close a thread before it lessens any positive view of the website.

MountainBear
March 17, 2009, 01:33 AM
Thank you for your responses gentlemen. I now consider the question answered, situation dealt with, etc. Thank you all for your service to this community.

MountainBear
March 17, 2009, 03:15 AM
We once had "Legal & Political" forum, but the political discussions degenerated into emotional arguments and flame wars. So, now it's only a Legal forum. (With, sometimes, some of the worst legal advice in the entire history of tinfoil hattery.)

Art,
Anyone who would use legal advice from an internet forum without first speaking to an attorney deserves whatever they get. But I like the "tinfoil hattery" reference. Very appropriate to some of our more, shall we say, confused contributers.
But I understand your point.

Zak Smith
March 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,

I want to bring attention to the THR mission:
http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html
Welcome to The High Road, an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership. It is the declared mission of this board to achieve and provide the highest quality of firearms discussion on the Internet
I wasn't a party to the thread in question, but there are threads that simply won't serve the purpose of advancing responsible firearms ownership. Some threads start out as "bad ideas" with respect to this goal, while some start OK and then degenerate for one reason or another.

thanks
Zak

Gord
March 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
(With, invariably, some of the worst legal advice in the entire history of tinfoil hattery.)

Fix'd

"Well it's legal in Texas!"

MisterMike
March 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
I've got some experience as a moderator elsewhere, on www.bmwst.com, one of the largest BMW motorcycle discussion boards around.

What the ordinary user doesn't see is that there is a separate moderator/administrator forum where, if things work here as they do there, these things are discussed and debated pretty vigorously.

Generally, one doesn't become a moderator until one has established a lengthy pattern of contributing in a positive manner and exhibiting good judgment. Sometimes a moderator has to make a decision quickly, without consulting with the rest of the moderating crew. Over at BMWST, we generally find that there's agreement after the fact, but that's not always the case. Sometimes we chew on each other fairly hard if we think another mod has made a bad call. Other times, there's an opportunity to discuss a thread as it evolves.

In the end, it's not an exact science. Sometimes you see clear violations and you act quickly. Other times, it's a gut feeling, and that can be influenced by the volatility of the topic or individuals involved in the discussion.

Speaking as a member of the fraternity, it seems to me that the mods do a pretty good job here. The pay isn't great. The hours are long. If it weren't for them, THR would not be what it is. They deserve your thanks.

chuckusaret
March 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
I have been on many, many sites that had from fair to very bad moderators. My short time on THR I have found that the moderators are above the best of other sites and should be commended by all..

Dravur
March 17, 2009, 06:16 PM
Who watches "The Watchmen"

sorry, had to be said... hehe I just saw the movie the other day... great flick

JShirley
March 17, 2009, 06:24 PM
Well...we can agree to disagree. I gave it one star for good special effects, and another 1/2 star (out of five) for Rorschach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_(comics))

John

Floppy_D
March 17, 2009, 06:28 PM
Who moderates the moderators?
The site population. If the moderators were out of hand, people would leave. If the moderation was fair, then people would probably stick around. If everyone got banned, no one would be here. I've been unhappy with a moderator decision before, PM'ed him, and learned that there was more to the story than I knew. This is probably the case for 99%+ of the moderator actions here; there's more involved then what's on the surface.

bikerdoc
March 17, 2009, 06:42 PM
Where were all you guys on the monthy mod appreciation day?

The next one is 4/2/09.

Come on back and say these nice words again.

hso
March 18, 2009, 11:05 PM
Floppy_D and MisterMike have answered well and accurately.

Lone_Gunman
March 21, 2009, 09:23 AM
What I don't like is when a moderator will close threads simply for personal, arbitrary reasons, and fail to admit when they are proven wrong. Even worse is when you are declared a paranoid tin foil hatter for starting a thread that a moderator disagrees with. After all Mods are just people too, and are not always right. This has bothered me enough a few times that I have considered looking for other forums, but I don't think there are any that I know of that are better than this one right now.

rbernie
March 21, 2009, 10:47 AM
What I don't like is when a moderator will close threads simply for personal, arbitrary reasons, and fail to admit when they are proven wrong. Even worse is when you are declared a paranoid tin foil hatter for starting a thread that a moderator disagrees with. After all Mods are just people too, and are not always right.That is, of course, a true statement. But, just a like any other role that is called upon to adjudicate correct and incorrect behavior, sometimes it's less important to be right than it is to simply make the call and move on.

The referee in a game won't get every call correct. But you bet your sweet bippy that you better accept the call of the referee if you want on the pitch. Same thing here.

But we do TRY to be correct, as defined by the mission statement of THR.

Really.

Lone_Gunman
March 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
The referee in a game won't get every call correct.

A referee has to make a split second decision, and is not at liberty to re-read a thread and think.

Sometimes, referees do go back and look at replays and change their initial call.

When a moderator has such a great opinion of himself and his own viewpoint that he cannot bend and change with further deliberation (even in the face of factual evidence that shows him to be wrong), then he is not doing his job.

FM12
March 21, 2009, 03:35 PM
"Can't we all just get along?"

Yep. That's why the mods make the big bucks!

Nugilum
March 21, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wait a minute, it's not Thursday!

JShirley
March 21, 2009, 06:54 PM
If a staff member's decision is based on a judgment call as to whether something is appropriate or not, how can there be "factual evidence that shows him to be wrong"? How are you going to fact out his opinion as to suitability?

John

Lone_Gunman
March 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
We had a thread where a moderator denied a point of fact, which was not an opinion. He was stating a fact that was not true. I am not talking about an opinion. I can't be more specific without identifying the moderator, which i don't really want to do. If it really matters, PM me.

Guns and more
March 21, 2009, 07:33 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if this topic was "closed"?

The three stages of posting:
I think of it as the bell curve.
When you first join you are afraid to post because you're not sure you can explain yourself.
Then later you get excited and post more often, hoping to share your opinion.
Finally, you get deleted for reasons that sometimes you don't understand, and you revert to just reading, but not posting.
The bell curve.

JohnBT
March 21, 2009, 08:14 PM
"If it really matters, PM me."

It really doesn't matter. A mod made a mistake, they're human. They do a great job.

John

Big Daddy Grim
March 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
All in all I think the mods do pretty good here.

Lone_Gunman
March 21, 2009, 08:36 PM
It really doesn't matter. A mod made a mistake, they're human. They do a great job.

I agree with what you are saying. You and I know moderators make mistakes, but some of them do not know it.

ThrottleJockey
March 21, 2009, 10:59 PM
I generally feel the mods here are the best on the web, but I also have seen a few times when it was simply a matter of "police mentality". By "police mentality", I don't mean to speak in a negative light about LEO in general, but it is a matter of, "because I wear the badge and I say so" and "who do you think the judge is gonna believe". It seems as though there are occasions where it is a power trip/control thing. Generally this IMO can be attributed to reading comprehension skills being lower on a given day for any number of reasons, bad day at work, being distracted, personal problems not related to the board.....

Clint C
March 21, 2009, 11:05 PM
The rules that you agree to, to be on this site, are what moderates the moderators.

A some people get mad at them on here, but I think they all do a great job. Most people get mad at them for closing down political threads, but I say if you want to talk politics, go to a political site.

Keep up the good work guys.

JohnKSa
March 22, 2009, 12:35 AM
"because I wear the badge and I say so" and "who do you think the judge is gonna believe".Yes, sometimes it comes down to that. In any situation where a person is put in authority over another there will be times when that authority must be exercised in a fashion that seems to be arbitrary to the person who is the focus. It's unfortunate and undesirable, but to a great extent, those situations are exactly the reasons that people in authority are required.It seems as though there are occasions where it is a power trip/control thing.In most situations where a person/person's friend/person's work/something the person likes is the focus of official moderator action that person does not feel gratified as a result. Furthermore, in many situations the person who's the focus feels that his actions were defensible. In those situations the person is naturally going to feel that the person in authority is just on a power trip. Again, it's exactly those situations that make it necessary to put people in authority.

Clint C
March 22, 2009, 12:52 AM
Lets see this is a gun site, if you want to talk about something else, go somewhere else. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

There may be some fighting and bickering, but we don't need that crap either.

If you want to do what you want then go start your own damn site. See how long it takes you to end up in court because some idiot ran his mouth. That has happened on a few sites. I wonder if there is any common sense left in this world.

yenchisks
March 22, 2009, 12:55 AM
I think some of the moderators are communist pigs...

.cheese.
March 22, 2009, 01:04 AM
having recently seen what can happen when there is too few moderators, I've come to have a newfound appreciation for heavy moderation.

Ron-Bon
March 22, 2009, 01:23 AM
OMG...I am a victim of the " Bell Curve". That was an excellent description by the way

Ron-Bon
March 22, 2009, 01:29 AM
The have been times when I have felt that moderators are being jerks, but when I do, I think of LEO's. Sometimes they overstep their boundaries, but can u imagine a nation without them?

TimboKhan
March 22, 2009, 02:26 AM
What I don't like is when a moderator will close threads simply for personal, arbitrary reasons

For the love of pete: Who cares if a mod closes a thread? In my very nearly 4 years of being an active member of this forum, I have had threads closed, and as recently as today have had a post deleted for being off topic. Personally, in all of those cases, to include the one today, the mods were right and I was wrong. More importantly, I DON'T CARE!!!! No one is going to die because they didn't read my valuable off-topic post, I am not going to be drummed out of THR, I won't suddenly contract a fatal disease, I am not going to go hungry or anything of the sort. I had some words deleted, and, as previously mentioned, rightly so. That's it. If a thread is closed, it can still be read, and chances are whatever good points made on it were posted well before it was closed and thus the thread retains whatever value it had before it was closed.

Our mods do a good job, for free. Occasionally you might disagree with that, but I can assure you that they do.

Wouldn't it be funny if this topic was "closed"?

Not especially, because I can virtually guarantee that it is going to be closed at some point. A good chunk of the posts on here, to frankly include mine, boil down to nothing more than "mods suck" or "mods rule". That isn't an argument that is going to last, nor should it.

Mods rule.

JoeFish
March 22, 2009, 03:52 AM
For whatever it's worth, the proof is in the pudding. I'm a devoted gun owner who does not fit the traditional gun-nut model in any way. There are many people on this site who would want me banned just for living in Los Angeles County.

That said, THR is the ONLY gun website I frequent, because it is the ONLY one where a civil discussion can reliably take place and stay on the topic of GUNS. Whatever the moderators are doing, from a bird's eye view, it's working.

Prion
March 22, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks mod's, I think you do a great job! Especially considering that mixing guns and the internet isn't exactly an inert combination of elements.

rhtwist
March 22, 2009, 08:42 AM
From experiences on other forums where moderators were annoyed at my responses to their wording and attitude and inability to get arbitration from or any rules that allowed their derrogatory, demeaning, accusatory and insulting public posts, I find this forum very refreshing. As a matter of fact I pm'ed the moderators on the specific items I've been subjected to on the other forums to see if their is control of the moderators. I've been happy with their answers and to what I've seen of their work. Got banned from a forum simply because I annoyed them ;-) after over 2 years of no infractions. The owner even informed me that I was labeled a troll because of the moderator's feeling not because I was one. Another banned me because I will follow the rules to the best of my ability and will make some mistakes, but I will not be insulted or talked down to by unpaid untrained uncontrolled people (just people) who have ego trips and I let them know it. Continue the good work and you have my patronage here.
rhtwist

bikerdoc
March 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
Another reminder that all these good comment should be repeated on 4/2/09
thaks to all for for some really good comment,
For those that dont agree again PM the mod in question

Doc

JohnBT
March 22, 2009, 10:04 AM
"You and I know moderators make mistakes, but some of them do not know it."

Send the mod a PM and then they will. And then you can let go and move on.

John

Art Eatman
March 22, 2009, 10:13 AM
I thought I was wrong, one time, but then I found out I was mistaken about that.

rbernie
March 22, 2009, 10:32 AM
I think some of the moderators are communist pigs...That was so yesterday. Today we're Jack Booted Thugs or Closet Nazis - either are acceptable.

Monday is tentatively scheduled for the mods to be Gun Grabbing Unpatriotic LibTards.

On Wednesday, we'll be Right Wing Conspiracists.

If anyone wants to pencil in anything for Tuesday - lemme know.

shiftyer1
March 22, 2009, 10:55 AM
I recently posted a totally off topic thread about trying to find a home for my dog. The mod. locked it but left it visable and changed the title to get more attention. I thought this was very helpful.

Byron Quick
March 23, 2009, 06:46 AM
There are many people on this site who would want me banned just for living in Los Angeles County.

You get any hassle about California, please report it to us. We need to be looking for a strategy to free California. Not heap scorn on people who are caught behind enemy lines.

Some topics have been done to death, folks. With those, why did we close your precious thread? Because we had seen that topic go to hell in a handbasket ten thousand times before with zero good outcomes or even zero worthy posts in any of those ten thousand threads.

And, yes, after closing one of those threads for the ten thousandth and first times and listening to the ten thousandth and first repetitive complaint about doing so...yes, we can sometimes be abrupt in our reply. Mea culpa.

Lone_Gunman
March 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
There are many people on this site who would want me banned just for living in Los Angeles County.

Many people? I don't think so.

2TransAms
March 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
As a mod on a not-too-big forum (2000+ members, so my job's pretty easy), I can appreciate what the mods here do. As the owner of a business, I can appreciate what it takes to make a decision that doesn't make everyone happy. Somebody's gotta be the jerk.

There's plenty of forums with fairly loose moderation, and I don't go to those. I like my topics to stay on topic. So to the mods I say, "Well done."

JohnBT
March 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
"If anyone wants to pencil in anything for Tuesday - lemme know."

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a cheeseburger today.

rogerjames
March 27, 2009, 11:33 PM
MountainBear,
Thanks for starting this thread. I just PM'd moderator HSO over this same issue. The arbitrary nature of moderator control is irritating. It baffles me how a site dedicated to constitutional freedoms enforces its own site so arbitrarily.

Like I told HSO in my PM, I am a member of a car forum with a lounge area that allows talk of politics, guns, humor etc. These discussions often become heated and argumentative, but they are usually allowed to work themselves out... and believe it or not, they usually do.

It is ridiculous that the the moderation of this site is so arbitrary. Even the moderators of this site would not stand for law enforcement in such an arbitrary nature.

How sad is it that I have more freedoms of debate on a car forum, then a forum supposedly dedicated to my freedoms.

Zak Smith
March 27, 2009, 11:52 PM
Moderation on THR is not exactly "arbitrary", as posts in this thread so far should explain. Threads that go against THR's policy or mission and those that will likely "end in tears" based on experience will most likely be moderated.

lamebums
March 27, 2009, 11:59 PM
Having been a moderator and administrator on many forums over the past few years, I can just say that it isn't all it's cracked up to be - some people want to be mods of a major forum because they have position, can take part, whatever - but there's work involved. A lot of work, sometimes, especially if a thread gets out of hand, a mod needs to jump in and defuse the situation, which can take a while - deleting all the offending posts, dealing with the members involved, whatever.

By all means, pre-empt a thread and close it before it goes downhill. I can't tell you how many times I've been sleeping (smaller forums, maybe a mod or two, but not 24/7 moderation), and a few members are firing broadsides at each other, and I only log on in the morning to find that the damage is already done.

I'd pre-emptively close one if I think it was headed downhill too, and give a brief explanation why. It's good to see that it appears to have been worked out here, too.

rogerjames
March 28, 2009, 01:08 AM
I generally feel the mods here are the best on the web, but I also have seen a few times when it was simply a matter of "police mentality". By "police mentality", I don't mean to speak in a negative light about LEO in general, but it is a matter of, "because I wear the badge and I say so" and "who do you think the judge is gonna believe". It seems as though there are occasions where it is a power trip/control thing. Generally this IMO can be attributed to reading comprehension skills being lower on a given day for any number of reasons, bad day at work, being distracted, personal problems not related to the board.....

+1. I would expect a forum dedicated to "freedoms" to display some restraint. As a member of several forums... including non gun-related forums, this is "hands down" the most regulated forum I belong to. THR is starting to feel like "big brother" at it's worst.

You are not running for re-election, relax already. We know you are there.

Some of you guys should be embarrassed. Exercising the power that this website is espoused to protect against.

Choose your battles wisely and quit being so trigger happy.

GaSheepDog
March 28, 2009, 05:00 AM
FWIW, I found this site after becoming disgusted with what the mods at another large gun site let members get away with (bashing, name-calling, etc). I've even watched as their senior members cruelly bashed another senior member because they didn't agree with his actions as he related to in a post. I've thoroughly enjoyed my short time here and think the mods do a great job. So thanks mods and thanks to you members who think before hitting the reply button. There are plenty of us out here who are fairly new to firearms who are gaining a lot of insight from your wisdom.

4Freedom
March 28, 2009, 06:52 AM
Well, I have only read half the posts on this thread , but I would like to contribute. First, I want to tell the mods and all others know how much I love THR and how helpful it has been for me. I know you guys have a tough job and really I give you lot of respect for your duty, not sure if you get paid for this. Also I notice the mods are all intelligent and give very good credible advice. Yes, you have locked a few of the threads that I have posted in and sometimes maybe I had few posts removed, I understand and respect why it was done.

This is a website I find to be the most helpful as far as knowledge about guns and the gun industry, as well as other information related to guns. There is many other gun websites I frequent and they really have been bogged down with arguments, usual blabber and lot of drama that I know shouldn't exist on a site devoted to gun knowledge. Angry debates dont help bring gun owners together to promote gun rights and keep them aware of current events.

I have learned alot on this website and it is a valuable tool for me. So, even though I know sometimes threads get locked and I disagree with a moderator on something, I give you utmost respect and really want to say how good of a site THR is. The best part of THR compared to other gun forums is that when I have major gun-related problem, this is the site I get the quickest response and best advice, including many of the mods.

Thanks again..

bikerdoc
March 28, 2009, 07:43 AM
This is what you agreed to,

[/B]Welcome to The High Road, an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership. It is the declared mission of this board to achieve and provide the highest quality of firearms discussion on the Internet, a standard set by the discussion board The Firing Line from 1998-2002.

Everyone is welcome to participate, regardless of political affiliation, gender, religion, nationality, or stance on gun ownership. We aim to respect every point of view, as long as it is presented in a polite and factual manner. You only need to provide a name and a valid email address to participate. We do not sell that information to anyone.

There are only a few house rules:

1.) All topics and posts must be related to firearms or civil liberties issues.
2.) Multiple user registrations are prohibited.
3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here.
4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.
5.) We cannot provide a comprehensive list of "Things Not To Say".Posts that are contrary to the above policies, or to the mission of The High Road, may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. Membership may be revoked if such a step is deemed necessary by us. We're a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff. Please treat this venue as a polite discussion in a friend's home and respect the wishes of the hosts.

We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of abortion, religion and sexual orientation often degenerate into less-than-polite arguments or claims that "my God is better than your God". For this reason, we do not discuss such subjects on THR, and any threads dealing primarily with these subjects will be closed or deleted immediately. Threads which deal with other subjects, but which mention abortion, religion or sexual orientation as a side issue, may be allowed to continue, but will be closely scrutinized, and closed or deleted if they "cross the line".

A note on FREE SPEECH:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment is greatly respected here on The High Road, as are all other Amendments that the Second Amendment defends. However, The High Road is private property and requests that members adhere to all forum policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who become members of The High Road. Those who break forum rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue to frequent or start your own board.
If you feel you can abide by these requests, we hope that you join us on The High Road. We invite you to share your expertise and enjoy the camaraderie. "Share what you know, learn what you don't."

Thank you,

The Staff

End of story.

MountainBear
April 11, 2009, 02:26 PM
Moderators,
I started this thread with a question. I feel that it was sufficiently answered. I stated this on the first page. I don't know what the other two pages have amounted to, but as the originator of this thread, I would have no problem with it being closed.
Thanks again. We don't expect you to be perfect. None of us are. Just do your best, and I think most of us are convinced that you are.

--MountainBear

Mal H
April 11, 2009, 02:29 PM
Agreed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who moderates the moderators?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!