Help me make up my mind!

PDA

Prince Yamato
March 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm trying to decide here.

I have an AAC Pilot (.22 suppressor) on the way...

A local dealer has a Kel-Tec PLR-22 pistol on hold for me until tomorrow.

I can't decide whether I want to buy it (it'll be ~$240, because I have store credit) or save my money and get a couple bricks of .22 sub-sonic ammo. I intend to Form 1 and SBR the PLR pistol if I buy it.

I already own a Walther P22, so I have a host for the suppressor.

Part of me thinks a compact .22LR with a suppressor would be cool. The other part of me says, "you're an idiot, you're a musician, you don't make that much, you should be spending your money on ammo, you don't need another toy."

But then I keep picturing that scoped and silenced .22LR SBR...

Help THR!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me make up my mind!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crazy-mp
March 16, 2009, 11:53 PM
I would put it on the Walther and buy some sub-sonic ammo. The PLR is a neat gun (I have a .223) but it is a BIG gun. I would also consider getting a threaded barrel for a 10/22 or having a .22 rifle threaded.

Hey at least you did your homework on the sub-sonic ammo. Enjoy! Quietly...

zminer
March 17, 2009, 12:32 AM
I agree - once you have a new toy you're also going to want to have a bunch of ammo to test it out, and you probably don't want to stretch your finances too thin right now. I recommend skipping the PLR, with the knowledge that you can save up over time towards an awesome setup for the suppressor. If that's a PLR, then great. If it's something else, that's also fine. But don't make a purchase if you're not sure it's what you want, when you could do some research, save up some cash, and in a few weeks/months get something that's perfect.

Gamera
March 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
Walther P22s look really neat with suppressors on 'em, that's all I have to say.

mnrivrat
March 17, 2009, 12:49 AM
:confused: I'm a little confused - a couple bricks of subsonic or a PLR-22 ?

Has subsonic ammo gone so high that a couple bricks is nearly equal to the cost of the PLR-22 ?

Kind of Blued
March 17, 2009, 01:09 AM
I don't see the allure of the PLR-22, unless one already has nearly every .22 around. Paying $400 in taxes for a cheap gun doesn't make much sense to me, especially if the gun won't serve a defensive purpose. It would be a lot of fun, but from one musician to another, you could probably have as much or more fun with an accurate non-NFA rifle.

If I were you I'd wait for the can and shoot the Walther suppressed a whole bunch. The good news there is that you won't need subsonic ammunition. Even 550 rnd. bulk pack stuff will be subsonic in a 3.4" barrel.

After shooting that a lot, you'll probably want something that you can shoot as accurately as possible.

I'd go with something like a CZ 452 American 16" (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=82), which comes threaded from the factory, but that may not be your style. I'd also check out the new Sig 556-style rifle in .22LR (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=66&productid=249) for semi-auto cool-factor. :cool:

Are you specifically looking for a semi-auto so you can dump a bunch of lead downrange without going broke? I definitely understand the allure THERE. :)

Kind of Blued
March 17, 2009, 01:17 AM
Has subsonic ammo gone so high that a couple bricks is nearly equal to the cost of the PLR-22 ?

Not at all. The standard Remington Subsonic stuff you might find at any old place is about twice the price of the cheap standard bulk boxes.

Prince Yamato
March 17, 2009, 02:52 AM
I'm a little confused - a couple bricks of subsonic or a PLR-22 ?

I mean like 10,000+ rounds :D

Even 550 rnd. bulk pack stuff will be subsonic in a 3.4" barrel.

The kicker is that I have the 5" version, but I think it will still be subsonic. If not, I'll just plunk down $80 for the 3.4" threaded barrel.

My reservation about a 16" barrel is that 16"+5" = 21" barrel = too long for me. I tend to not bring rifles with me to the range so often, because they don't fit in my backpack and feel bulky to carry. An SBR is less bulky. I also have a desire to get another NFA item. I may even SBR a pistol to put on a forward grip. Why? Because it just looks evil.

Paying $400 in taxes for a cheap gun doesn't make much sense to me, especially if the gun won't serve a defensive purpose

See, that's what I'm thinking now too. I don't hunt or anything like that so when I buy something I say, "how can I use this for defensive purposes?" I refuse to buy a gun that's "just a toy." For all my weapons, I like to know that if SHTF, I could grab any one of them and they would serve me well.

I think now I may lean towards spending that money on a ton of .22 ammo. Actually, my Walther digests the Remington 525 green box stuff quite well.

Well, I have a couple hours, I'll sleep on it. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming folks!

Kind of Blued
March 17, 2009, 03:42 AM
I think standard velocity .22LR goes supersonic right around 4.5", in a semi-auto, although I'm sure the consistency isn't spot on from cartridge to cartridge even out of the same box.

An absolutely silent suppressed bolt-action .22 rifle is one hell of a SHTF rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me make up my mind!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!