I currently own the following
Glock 19
HK P7 PSP
Browning Hi power
CZ 75b
Berreta 92fs

I am considering the following
Sig 226, or a Kahr T9
None of the newer polymer frame guns really interest me at all. Anything else I should be looking at to help round out my collection? Anything I should know about these two guns in particular before I decide to buy one?

Thanks for your help

If you enjoyed reading about "next 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
Anything else I should be looking at to help round out my collection?

Did you see the Boberg thread?

Assuming you did but aren't interested, hard to go wrong with a Sig 226, in my book. Or lose the Glock and get both. Also, I'd consider a Kahr MK9.

But I guess the better question might be, why another 9mm pistol? What have you got in the way of rimfire handguns, revolvers, rimfire rifles, centerfire rifles, shotguns, combo guns, muzzleloaders, airguns, scopes, slings, targets, shooting gear/accessories, safes, reloading gear, ammo, flashlights, watches, tools, backpacks, knives, bayos, spoting scopes, binoculars, hunting & camping gear, motorcycles, and other cool stuff? :)

FM-793
March 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
I've had a couple of the S&W 3rd generation pistols and absolutely love them. I'm down to one now, a 5906 Tactical 9mm - great gun. Fun to shoot, reliable, accurate and really easy to break down and clean. Plus, it *feels* solid and American made. Granted, it's big and heavy for a carry gun, but it's one I hope to leave to my sons. Understand that I'm a 1911 kind of guy, though. I think you can still get the 945s stainless in 9mm at Academy brand-new for about $450.

I have a friend that has a Tanfoglio Witness in .40 S&W and really likes it - it's a take-off on the CZs and is chambered in all the good calibers. It's a good looking gun as well in the wonder finish - kind of stainless looking.

PinoyInFL
March 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
Nice collection you got going there. As the other poster said - you can't go wrong with a Sig. I haven't tried the Kahr but I've tried Sigs before and they've all been great shooters. At this point, you may want to consider rifles or a revolver. I'm always amazed at how accurate those wheel guns are.

JWJacobVT
March 17, 2009, 06:23 PM
I only have one 9MM. A BHP. If I had to get another it would probably be a Sig 226. Unless of course $$$$$ then a S&W 5906.

10-Ring
March 17, 2009, 09:43 PM
another 9mm? I'd probably go w/ HK P9S -- :cool: Just something I've wanted for a while

PT1911
March 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
I like my steyr m9-a1... and with the browning high power mag (32 rnds) I just had modified to work in it, it is an absolute blast...

Brian Williams
March 17, 2009, 09:58 PM
How about something in 9x33R

S&W-Keeper
March 17, 2009, 10:25 PM
I like the Sig 226.

ironvic
March 17, 2009, 10:49 PM
I really like my Sig P-226. Money was a consideration, so I got a police trade-in. It's holster worn and hails from the days of "Made in West Germany." This honey's recoil is modest and she's as accurate as you could hope to get. A true delight to own and shoot.

Hostile Amish
March 17, 2009, 11:09 PM
I think you should get a Springfield 1911. Please don't get an XD.

PT1911
March 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
of course the smith&wesson 99 is a great buy (Walther p99 only cheaper, exactly the same gun)

Dan Crocker
March 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hostile Amish: I think you should get a Springfield 1911. Please don't get an XD.

What's wrong with the XD? I've got one, and a Glock too. Both are great guns, accurate, and reliable. In all reality, they are so much alike it's scary. Or cool.

22LRFan
March 17, 2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe a 9mm 1911? They're not polymer...or a 945 like FM-793 posted earlier.

Quack
March 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
9mm 1911 :)

searcher451
March 18, 2009, 10:31 AM
Brother, you haven't lived until you've at least shot a Walther P5 or a Walther P88. Of course, shooting them isn't as much fun as owning them ... just so that you can take them out for a test-drive any time you like. The P5 can be picked up at SOG these days for under $400, and you can't do better in a 9mm, IMO, at any price.

TBT
March 18, 2009, 06:34 PM
M&P9.

Big Daddy Grim
March 18, 2009, 06:36 PM
+1 for M&P 9mm I have the compact most accurate compact I have ever owned.

NELSONs02
March 18, 2009, 06:43 PM
I agree with Quak, 9mm 1911 would be very cool.

StephenT
March 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
How about a Luger P08 in 9mm?

dobrzemetal
March 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
You have a nice taste in guns man, (the glock can go though :)) I have to insist on Sig 226, that would be a perfect next choice

Knightrider03m
March 18, 2009, 07:26 PM
Sigma or a M&P. Both are S&W.

Knightrider03m
March 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
Sigma or a M&P. Both are S&W.

GLI45
March 19, 2009, 01:23 AM
1911 in 9mm are really sweet to shoot. Very soft recoil and there are single and double stack versions to choose from.

MovedWest
March 19, 2009, 04:44 AM
You already have a CZ, so I'm a little reluctant to recommend a Baby Desert Eagle since it's technically a knockoff of the CZ. But I must admit I LOVE mine and everyone who's fired it has gone out and bought one. I would sincerely recommend the Baby Desert Eagle 9mm. This gun is stupidly accurate and the heavy frame makes shot-to-shot recovery amazing. It's heavy enough to put the kick in the range of a 22LR.

Keep in mind it IS heavy, but ten rounds in the black at 25yds with mediocre concentration is amazing. You almost don't have to aim - just point and fire. Finish isn't the greatest, but it bangs the gong like it's fightin' back.

I called RoBar to see about getting it finished and accurized. I asked the person on the phone if I could do anything to mine to make it more accurate, and they laughed heartily and said "no, that gun's just fine as is".

-MW

BUGUDY
March 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
Buy the Sig and sell the Glock...To me!

broken
March 19, 2009, 10:28 AM
if it was me police trade in s/w5904 259.00 mine shoots great ,then a star bm 9mm for 170.00 both a little over 400.00 for 2 good guns,2 for 1,they get in s/w police trade ins 249.00 to 289.00 they sell out quick.

skeeter_08
March 19, 2009, 01:24 PM
I have a Springer Loaded 1911 in 9mm and a Sig P225, and I used to have a P228. The only thing I don't like about the 9mm Springer Loaded 1911 are the Metalform mags with the welded baseplates that come with the gun. But I now use Wilson ETMs so the Metalforms are relegated to my spare parts box so all is well

JImbothefiveth
March 19, 2009, 01:26 PM
What about a g26?

Ben86
March 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
If you have a G19 why do you even want another 9mm?

Just kidding! A 1911 in 9mm would be an interesting edition to your collection.

ArmedBear
March 19, 2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you have about 5 too many 9mms already.:D

PT1911
March 19, 2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94680&d=1237482653

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94679&d=1237482628

BlindJustice
March 19, 2009, 03:18 PM
Nice start at the various semi-autos in
9mm Parabellum/Luger EUro Desig. 9x19.

The SIg P226 has been adopted by many foreign
military and LEO organizations. I'm not sure how the
Kahr fits in to the 'scheme' of your collection.

You might at some time think about adding the two 9's
that the US Military considered in the mid-1950s,
* The S&W 39
* Colt Commander alloy frame.

The initial 39 had problems - they were ironed out and the
39-2 is the predeciessor of the line
3913, Chiefs Special or CS9 and todays plain finish 908

The Alloy frame Commander in 9mm along with the 39 are the two
domestic pistols to use the first weapons quallity aluminum alloy Alcoa
I think came up with to make them possible. THe "Combat" steel framed
Commander came along later in the early 1970s I think. I got one in the
70s after they came out with the steel cmdr framed model./

Others to show the progression of metal framed 9s I would consider a must
LUger P-08 -
Walther P-38 - FIrst full size DA/SA service pistol
Sig 210 - first to have the slide inside the frame, & the
only one I know of which uses this is the 75B & variants.

ALso, S&W 59 - first domestic DA/SA 9 - S&W developed but the
USNavy project - mid-60s was dropped.

That enough to keep you busy?

Randall

priler
March 19, 2009, 05:23 PM
it sure is fun to buy different pistols,isn't it? but if i may suggest a different approach,how about buying one that you already have.

assuming that you carry and excluding for a moment a possible home intruder,more than likely the one that you would defend yourself with and the one that could possibly save your life would be the one you carry.it would also be the one that you more than likely practice more with since you carry it.

of the ones you have,the most logical for carry is the g19 because a)it's the lightest b)more rounds than the second lightest.although,a p7 would make a good carry piece also.

if you do carry the g19,my suggestion is,why don't you buy a second one.there are several good reasons for having at least two of EXACTLY the same gun.here are several from the top of my head(no,it's not pointy).

#1-if you have to use it in self defense,the police more than likely will still take your weapon as evidence.if your innocent you will get it back but that may or may not take a very long time.what are you going to do in the mean time for carry?use a different platform that's not as efficient for you?different trigger and POI etc.,ect? if it does take a very long time,it may come back to you rusty and maybe even with a problem...you just never know.

#2-gun breaks,for what ever reason,you ship it off to get it fixed.what do you do while it's getting fixed?use a different one?

#3-what if the s@#t was to actually HTF?where exacty are you going to get parts in that senario or service if something breaks or is not functioning right?if you had at least two you can use the second one or use it for parts.

there are other reasons aswell but these are enough.

if you had atleast a second one,all of the problems could be solved.i know it's fun to keep buying different pistols,i use to do it myself but now i think in multiples(atleast the main ones).

....just a thought.

don95sml
March 19, 2009, 06:25 PM
Well, if you don't have a SIG, there's a gaping hole in your collection. I don't own a P226, so I can't comment on that. But I do have a P239, and I have nothing but good things to say about that gun. I have small hands, and the P239 fits well. For larger hands I'd recommend the available 10-round mags, which add some height to the grip.

Girodin
March 20, 2009, 01:40 PM
The sig would be a good addition. Have you considred the Springfield EMP?

ninja45
March 20, 2009, 07:23 PM
Sig 226 very nice, but very expensive.

I have a CZ PO1 that is very accurate and very reliable. Works much like a Sig 226 (decoker) but hundreds of dollars less.

Kyle
March 21, 2009, 12:44 PM
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help. I ended up buying the Kahr T9. The reason being, I got a better deal on the gun locally than any of the other options mentioned. I am getting more interested in the S&W autos after so many people have recommended them, but other than the M&P, cant' find one locally to wrap my hands around.
Thank you Searcher for the recommendation on the Walther P5, I looked at one at my local shop but they wanted over $600 for it. It felt like a high quality gun, and it is definately on my list now.
As I mentioned in my first post, I had kind of narrowed the field on my own between the Kahr and the Sig 226. I found both locally, and comparing them side by side, I have to say the Kahr seemed to be the higher quality firearm. I have shot sigs in the past, and have always been impressed. The new 226 I handled had the rail, and I have to say didn't seem to be as tightly fit as other sig's I have handled. Thanks again to everyone. I will write up a review of the new kahr shortly.

airrascal
March 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
I was going to suggest the T-9 as it would be a little different and add a little interest to your collection. I love my T-9, miss my P7 PSPs but still have my CZs. The Sig would have been another DA/SA fighting for time with your CZ and Beretta.

If you enjoyed reading about "next 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!