1) HK-like built quality
2) Glock-like simplicity
3) XD-like trigger
4) 1911-like palm safety
5) 1911 or XD-like angle/profile
6) HK P30 or SW MP series ergonomics

Is there such a gun?
If not, is there a gun that comes close to 6/6 or 5/6? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Does this gun really exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PT1911
March 17, 2009, 10:29 PM
seems like the XD fits all of your listed criteria. TADA!!!!!!

psyopspec
March 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
Try a P7M8. Very intuitive to most users. More parts than a Glock, but a great rep for reliability. Better trigger than an XD. Unlike the 1911, they actually put the grip safety on the correct side :neener:. Again, good ergos/profile for most shooters.

Deer Hunter
March 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
1) HK-like built quality
2) Glock-like simplicity

Mutually exclusive. :)

new_steyr1
March 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
Why are 1 and 2 mutually exclusive?

PS. I consider HK45c to be very simple, sans buffer ring.

geronimo509
March 17, 2009, 11:13 PM
Unlike the 1911, they actually put the grip safety on the correct side
Not to hijack the thread but I don't understand that. How can a grip safety be on the wrong side?

Also, good luck in your search for the PERFECT firearm! Please let me know what you choose.

PT1911
March 17, 2009, 11:30 PM
" Not to hijack the thread but I don't understand that. How can a grip safety be on the wrong side? ' he is referring to the weird safety in the finger side of the grip (opposite that of the 1911) definitely not something I like, but, to each his own I guess...personally I have never had a problem with the 1911 grip safety, in fact, I like it.

zt77
March 18, 2009, 01:27 AM
i was also thinking the xd sounds perfect

janobles14
March 18, 2009, 01:55 AM
gotta be the XD. i think thats how they actually made the design.

raz-0
March 18, 2009, 02:02 AM
Probably the closest thing is the XD-M.

Build quality is a bit better than the regular XD from what I have seen, and the interchangable backstraps help with ergonomics compared to the XD. The grip angle is pretty much the same as the 1911 and XD, it has an XD style trigger that is actualy smoother and lighter than the regular XD. I got to handle one recently, and was impressed with it compared to the regular XD.

I've owned an H&K, and there isn't that much special about it. It's a decently designed gun that is a tad overbuilt in spots, and way too heavy for what it is. Very little of that added weight is adding toughness or reliability to their guns IMO. About the only thing I'd say they really have down more than some others is QC and build consistency. Pretty much every one I have handled feels just like every other one with minimal variation in fit and finish.

bondmid003
March 18, 2009, 03:45 AM
XD-M probably is the closest to what you're describing

benderx4
March 18, 2009, 10:26 AM
XD-M

Only non-1911 gun I would buy nowadays that doesn't say HK on the side.

Canuc Shooter
March 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
Ditto on the XDs

Ill Bill
March 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
Everything you described is in the XDM.

1. The quality of XDs are just fine. I'm sure you could find a thread here that calls them junk but you'll find 10x as many customers and forum threads that say the XD is great.

2. The XD/XDM is designed to directly steal Glock's customers. You can call it a clone/copy/rip-off or whatever because most of it's features/concept is taken from the glock. This is not to disparage Springfield but to state the fact that Glock created a new standard and segment. The "Plastic Supergun" market. SW M&P and Taurus 24/7 are the main other competitors.

3. The XD trigger was basically copied from the glock. The XDM supposedly has a crisper trigger.

4. The XD has the grip safety of the 1911. The XD in 45ACP is sort of a cross between a 1911 and a Glock. Sort of.

5. Yes.

6. The XDM also has interchangeable palm swells so you can tailor it to your hand. The XD does not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does this gun really exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!