Father in law bought a High Point and...

PDA

Owen Sparks
March 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
He wants me to take a look at this thing and tell him what I think. You probably KNOW what I think already as I sit here among highly my customized 1911's M1A's and Benelli shotguns. What do I tell the man? My wife is bringing it home with a box of shells for me to sight in. Some guy at his church who "knows a lot about guns" found him a deal on it. I think it was $150 new and he probably will get what he paid for. Maybe it will go bang everytime the trigger is pulled, I guess that's good enough. :mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "Father in law bought a High Point and..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GTSteve03
March 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
A good friend of mine bought a High-Point because he wanted to go shooting and it was all he could afford at the time as he was a poor college student.

Now, I've shot a lot more expensive guns in my time, but the High Point seemed to work well enough for what it is. It's a simple blow-back operated 9mm with a single stack magazine. It weighs a ton in the slide because it's blow-back. The recoil spring is really stiff. But it never had a problem actually firing and the holes it made in the paper were pretty close together if you knew what you were doing.

It's not pretty and it's not a refined piece of machinery but it does tend to work well enough.

okespe04
March 18, 2009, 03:01 PM
Its really hard for me to say this but hi point makes a decent firearm in terms of functionality. Take an objective look at it, run him through its functions and fire it yourself. You may be surprised.

I own a hi point 9mm as a hand it to a buddy in a shtf situation / beater truck type gun.

mljdeckard
March 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
They work. That's about all you can say about them. I don't like their triggers, their-pin-through-the-frame construction, and I wouldn't want to run one through a 10k rd torture test.

PhiloebeddoUSA
March 18, 2009, 03:11 PM
They work.

Perhaps if he enjoys the shooting experience, he can work his way up to finer tools. Until then, a $150 Hi Point will serve its purpose.

Try to be objective when you shoot it. If it disappoints you, maybe you should give him one of your 1911's? :evil:

More than likely he won't know the difference, and he will really like the High Point. I would pay good money to see your respectful performance regarding the father in laws purchase. A slippery slope indeed. Good Luck!

tigereye_77
March 18, 2009, 03:25 PM
I say tell your father-in-law that he got a decent deal. brand new they usually cost around $200 depending on the accessories that come with it. Hi Points are one of those guns that people either love them or hate them.

I was thankful when I got rid of mine. The ergonomics on that thing aggravated me to no end.

Q!!
March 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
Tell he got a gun that will function as it is supposed to, and will work realiably. They are big and ugy, but the do what they are suposed to do. Do not be a gun snob. That is not very becomming.

crebralfix
March 18, 2009, 03:37 PM
If it works...great.

But, it's still crap.

Hungry Seagull
March 18, 2009, 03:39 PM
Try to be gracious and tell Him that he has a gun that is safe, shoots, hits what he wants to (More or less) and all around not too bad for the money. later on when He realizes for himself what other options are out there...

It be good yah?

Geezer Glide
March 18, 2009, 04:52 PM
They are heavy, they aren't much to look at but they go bang every time. Not many 1911's can say that but some of them sure are pretty.

leadcounsel
March 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have the same situation -

I've become a gun snob with a large collection and decent budget. My brother has very functional basic guns (two of which I gave him, and SKS and M44 Mosin Nagant).

Anyway, his buddy bought a .45 Hi Point that didn't function. My bro bought it from him for $100 and got it to function. My bro is also getting his CCW but has realized that the Hi Point isn't going to be a good carry weapon b/c it's built like a brick! But he says it's reliable and accurate, and if he's happy I'm happy for him.

As he gets more into it I'm sure he'll buy a better gun, or maybe I'll give him a nice present one day...

yeti
March 18, 2009, 05:01 PM
Not many 1911's can say that but some of them sure are pretty.

All my 1911's are pretty, and I don't pretend any of them can speak.

rondog
March 18, 2009, 05:20 PM
JMHO, but don't spout your negative opinions about HP and drive the man away from the sport! If this is his first gun, that's great! Help him to enjoy it and learn with it, and eventually he'll most likely move up to something else.

FWIW - I have two HP carbines, and they do nothing BUT perform! I can't speak for their handguns, no exp. with them. Sure, they're ugly, and inexpensive, and cheaply made. But if they work and it makes the FIL happy, WTH......let him shoot it 'til he's giddy, then hand him your finest pistol and let him shoot that one!

Deltaboy
March 18, 2009, 05:23 PM
A local gun range has some that they say have gone over 10,000 rounds.
Ugly yes , but they work with out fail.
Gun snobbery is the worst kind of them all.

rondog
March 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
I've posted this photo far too many times, but this is my first 50 rounds through my HP .40 carbine, right out of the box. Only thing I did to the sights was put a tiny piece of masking tape on the front blade so I could see it better. Don't know if their pistols shoot like this.....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/DSCN1764.jpg

earlthegoat2
March 18, 2009, 05:49 PM
You can probably tell him your a gun snob.

Then you can shoot it and see that the thing shoots great and that you not only get what you pay for you get more than what most people pay for their Kimbers because HiPoints dont jam.

Ever.

Hostile Amish
March 18, 2009, 05:59 PM
Those Hi-Points function, but...the grips are disgusting.

The Lone Haranguer
March 18, 2009, 07:50 PM
We get it, you're a gun snob. :p

As I've written a dozen times, I paid over six times as much for a handgun that still malfunctioned and broke. If the things go bang every time, that is all you can really ask for.

Jim K
March 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
Better a $150 gun that works when you need it than a $2500 gun that doesn't. (And I have seen several of the latter.)

Jim

Baba Louie
March 18, 2009, 08:06 PM
Keep an open mind, take it out and shoot the heck outta that fugly little thing. I'll bet you're surprised by it's performance.

It might not be your cup o' tea, or mine, and I do think the aesthetics are somewhat (ahem) awkward. But if it shoots, then it shoots. If not, then hey... you did your job. (and I would do my best to try & make it jam or malf somehow just to see if it can/does and learn what it takes to do so)

Dr_2_B
March 18, 2009, 09:27 PM
I honestly believe he got a decent deal & I'd second the suggestion that you shoot it with an open mind. I hear they are pretty functional.

Sounds kinda like you're a Corvette man, and he bought himself a nice low-end Kia. I see lots of Kias on the road and they do pretty well - just not as purty as the Corvette.

I'd be interested in hearing a range report after you fire the thing if you're up to it.

Owen Sparks
March 18, 2009, 11:00 PM
Update. I came home and there it was, new in the box with all the lawyer proof warnings and stickers. I took it out of the cheap ass cardboard box that probably cost less than a dollar, read the instructions and shot it. I loaded the magazine with 8 FMJ bullets, went out on the deck and fired all 8 into the ground. Then I rooted around and found some Silvertip hollow points and loaded and fired 8 of those without a problem. This thing is crude, top heavy and cheaply made but it does go bang every time I pull the trigger and will reliably hit a man in the chest at reasonable combat ranges.

Javelin
March 18, 2009, 11:04 PM
Tell him to shoot it in good health.

;)

shaggy430
March 18, 2009, 11:08 PM
I've never heard anything bad about Hi-Points except that they are ugly. I know a guy who has one and has easily shot 5,000 rounds through it with little if no problems. You could sell one of your Kimbers and buy 6 Hi-Points for new shooters or continue to put down others who don't have the money to spend that you do.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 18, 2009, 11:15 PM
Just be nice.... "Looks great! How does it shoot? That should serve you well! Nice price!" :p :D

Magnumite
March 18, 2009, 11:37 PM
8 rounds of FMJ and 8 rounds of Silvertip into the dirt. Now there's an evaluation for a friend.

Maybe a Wilson Combat CQB would have gotten shot 32 rounds into the dirt.

The guy is trusting you to sight it in...use a target.

Bezoar
March 19, 2009, 12:53 AM
who says that a handgun has to be "pretty and expensive" to be owned or used?
its a good price for a weapon thats proven to be a good servicable weapon over the years. That is more important then something expensive and non functional.

For example, how many american gis would have killed to have an old beater of a mosin nagant rifle in the jungles of nam when they had an m16 seize up on them on a weekly or daily basis?

Duke of Doubt
March 19, 2009, 01:04 AM
I draw a distinction between the original Hi-Points, which resembled a misbegotten water pistol, and the newer Hi-Points, which actually don't look half-bad, other than that hilarious chromed grip screw which looks like something I used to sell at an HWI store as a kid. The squarish blue plastic guns we all remember are gone, replaced by some much more ergonomic curved-grip designs in matte black. I'm not saying I like them, I'm not saying I'd even have one, but I'm a firm believer in giving the devil his due, and Hi-Points have come a long way.

SirYarquest
March 19, 2009, 01:29 AM
I work at "one of the suppliers" that gets lots of shout outs on here, we thank you BTW. Anyway, I bought my HP 15 years ago, 9MM pistol. Yes it's heavy, yes the sites suck, no adjustment, no it's not accurate at 50 yards, but it does shoot everytime. I have run countless rounds through it. Why not, I get my ammo for free, call it a perk. All in all, it's a good gun for the money. I would take advantage of the shortage of handguns, sell it to someone who isn't going to shoot the hell out of it, and move up to a better gun. Now that he got his feet wet. He'll get what he's got in it if not more.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sir YArquest.

wyocarp
March 19, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm a gun snob, but heck, I'd go shoot it. I'll shoot anything that I don't expect to blow up. Aren't we all into this to pull a trigger and hear, "Bang".

Deanimator
March 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
A guy at our club brought one once. I don't think he got more than two consecutive rounds without a stoppage of some sort.

There are a LOT of good used guns, such as SIG P6s and S&W Model 10s out there that you could buy instead.

Blowbacks in calibers more powerful than 9x18mm Makarov are rare, and for good reason. I don't want a 9x19mm handgun who's slide alone weighs more than some entire 9x19mm handguns, and whose recoil spring could be swapped into the suspension of an M4 Sherman.

broken
March 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
my dad had a hi/point 9 till his horse tradeing buddy hounded him anough to trade a real nice smith wesson 10-6 .38 straight up,theyre both happy"go figure".i liked the c9 but dang the revolver is like new,think my dad did fine.

jigglyjames29
March 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
Whenever I think of Hi-Points, I think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvbMf4BAx4M&feature=related

rondog
March 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
Whenever I think of Hi-Points, I think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvbMf...eature=related

Whenever I holster my 1911, I think of that video, and why I carry.

ozwyn
March 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well.. if he has to use it in self-defense, and the police take it and (badly) store it for six months and it comes back wrecked, there is no heartbreak either.

The real shame of a nice pretty gun is what happens if it is used for defense and gets mistreated as evidence.

Duke of Doubt
March 19, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks, jigglyjames, for that fine film. The best part is you can, with technical help, make out some personal information from the brat's computer screen -- and using that and the printing on his T-shirt, determine his probable identity.

indoorsoccerfrea
March 19, 2009, 03:25 PM
wow...that video is kind of sad...

but anyways, back on topic...as has been said, hipoints are not bad guns. cheaply priced, yes. nicest looking, no. they'll get the job done though.

theotherwaldo
March 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi-Points are to the shooting sports what a tire iron is to martial arts. Crude, clumsy, and consistent.

sarduy
March 20, 2009, 04:11 AM
use Blazer the HP love it ;)

CajunBass
March 20, 2009, 05:43 AM
The 9mm I've got has been all but flawless for almost 2,000 rounds. It has jammed about a half dozen times, but four of those were out of one box of reloads so they might have been ammo related more than gun. It was pretty accurate too, or at least as accurate as I could shoot it. Not bad for $139.00 (back then). I haven't shot it for a couple of years, I got bored with it and moved on to something else, but it workes.

ZO6Vettever
March 20, 2009, 07:11 AM
The thread below this one is "Kimber 45 CDP Pro misfeeding". Gun snobs belong on another forum.

sohcgt2
March 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
I have several friends who keep them as "car" guns, the idea being if its stolen they are only out $150.

Zundfolge
March 20, 2009, 02:01 PM
So have High Point improved their quality in recent years?

I've recently seen several threads here and on other gun forums extolling the reliability of these guns, yet the handful of High Points I've handled and shot over the years were jam-o-matic pieces of junk?

Joshu
March 20, 2009, 02:35 PM
Well one of the more regretful things I have ever done was to tell a friend he got taken on a car. It might have been the "honest" thing to do, but it sure wasn't a kind thing. Everytime he drove it pissed him off or upset him in some fashion. Disappointment springs up often enough without encouragement. Don't make him hate the thing. Let him enjoy it. He may up and start buying better, he might "love" this one to its eventual death, or he might grow sick of shooting altogether.

The Lone Haranguer
March 20, 2009, 04:09 PM
A guy at our club brought one once. I don't think he got more than two consecutive rounds without a stoppage of some sort.

The $900 gun I referenced earlier had a stoppage on the second shot I ever fired through it, broke off an extractor and shed firing pin safety parts on the range floor. At least after the third repair they gave me a new gun - but then that one broke, this time thumb safety parts.

[T]here are a LOT of good used guns, such as SIG P6s and S&W Model 10s out there that you could buy instead.
Well, sure, for twice as much money. You can't get either of those guns for a Franklin and a Grant. If I needed a gun badly enough and that was all the money I had, I would buy a Hi-Point without hesitation.

makarovnik
March 20, 2009, 05:54 PM
My Hi-Point .45 kicks the crap out of my Thompson 1911A1 in every way except ergonomics.

Owen Sparks
March 20, 2009, 11:50 PM
8 rounds of FMJ and 8 rounds of Silvertip into the dirt. Now there's an evaluation for a friend.

Maybe a Wilson Combat CQB would have gotten shot 32 rounds into the dirt. The guy is trusting you to sight it in...use a target.

Hold on. I am taking it to a proper range with benches and sand bags tomorrow. I just poped off a couple of magazines in the yard the other night to see if it would feed.

Geno
March 21, 2009, 12:09 AM
Owen:

Careful what ya say to the FIL. He just might retort something like:

Glad ya like it son...cuz tha' thar's y'ur inher'tence! Was gonna buy ya a Colt 1911, but the durned market tanked! So, I did what I could an' bought cha a Hi-Point! I sure am glad cha like it!

Geno

shaggy430
March 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hold on. I am taking it to a proper range with benches and sand bags tomorrow. I just poped off a couple of magazines in the yard the other night to see if it would feed.

Be sure to wear a disguise. By all of the :fire: and :cuss: in your original post I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to see you shooting a gun that was so beneath you.

RyanM
March 21, 2009, 12:29 AM
High Points aren't that bad for what they cost, but $150 is "finding a deal?" Just out of curiosity, how much would a new Glock run in your area?

Here, the regular price for a High Point 9mm is $140 (and Glocks go for about $500 for the standard models).

A friend of mine has a High Point .380 as his only centerfire pistol, but that's because Bud's (which he lives pretty close to) had them on sale for $100 awhile back. That is more like a deal.

jk2008
March 21, 2009, 01:01 AM
I had a .45ACP Hi Point for a few years and found it to be a reliable and fairly accurate weapon. I recently sold it, not because I didn't like it, but for other personal reasons--now I wish I hadn't. Sure, you can find a more finely-made or more-accurate gun, but probably not for the price of a Hi Point.

Based on your posts, I gather that you have experience with firearms as well as strong preferences for certain manufacturers. My recommendation is that you keep your opinions about Hi Point to yourself and let your gun-newby FIL form his own opinion about the gun based on his own experience shooting it. It doesn't matter how cheap the packaging looks when the gun arrives or how boxy and un-sexy the pistol looks; what matters is that your FIL enjoys his shooting experience with his first pistol. Help him along by teaching him the fundamentals with his pistol and, with luck, he'll enjoy the sport enough to move on to other "better" (whatever that means to him) pistols.

buttrap
March 21, 2009, 03:42 AM
I think a High point tends to be more reliable out of the box than one heck of a lot of 2000 buck 1911 guns are. yes they are junk and ugly as hell but they do tend to go bang every time in a anoying way like a Mauser 7.63 does.

Wirtbowhunter
March 21, 2009, 09:25 AM
They are ugly as poop but mine has never failed me. I really think I could out shoot my xd's with it. Oh and the carbine is really neat.

Most of the haters have never even shot one.

76shuvlinoff
March 21, 2009, 05:58 PM
Last week a buddy of mine told me he bought a new Hi Point 9mm, he laughed and said "I just got me a drop gun".
I told him there was a guy in my ccw class that didn't seem to have a problem with one. Then I told him the Gun Snobs won't like it but if it goes bang on demand and puts holes where you want em it really doesn't have to do much else now does it? Got a grin out of him and that's good enough for me.

shiftyer1
March 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm a firm believer in hi points when compared to other guns in the same price range. I also think they make a great truck gun due to reliability and PRICE

Mooseman
March 21, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have a HP 45 and it runs without a hiccup. I don't regret buying it in the least.
I think mine was around $200 OTD (philly prices). Pretty hard to find something in 45 that throws lead on demand cheaper than that. Certainly not the best gun I own, but I've handled much worse.

I owned 2 j-22 because I'm a glutton for punishment:o

jcwit
March 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
But, but, but, people, people you realize they don't have ANY BRAGGING RIGHTS.

indoorsoccerfrea
March 21, 2009, 07:42 PM
it's ok, people use their jam-o-matic 1911 and plastic tupperware glocks for bragging.

edit: I like both, don't eat me!

Owen Sparks
March 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
UPDATE:

I took the thing to the range for further testing and to sight it in. It shot really low but after some adjustments I had it reliably hiting within an IDPA head (6x6") at 15 yards. Due to the atrociously creepy triger and short sight radius I did not attempt anything at 25 yards. It did not like CCI Blazers and several failed to feed into the chamber. I expected worse when I switched over to hollowpoints but was surprised when they ran 100%. Evidently the blasers were just not hot enough to drive the heavy slide all the way reaeward. This pistol operates as a straight blow back and requires a stout recoil spring to cycle the inordinantly heavy slide. The silvertips and some military FMJ had more vigorous recoil and functioned fine. The slide locks open after the last shot but there is no slide release lever at all. After inserting a fresh magazine you have to pull back on the slide. This required concederable effort (my other hobby is weight lifting). This presents a quandry. I really don't like the idea of keeping a pistol of this fine quality loaded in condition one with a round in the chamber but I would also be hesitant to keep it in condition three, (loaded magazine, empty chamber). If you fail to pull the slide all the way back before releasing it, it tends to hang up just like it did with the underpowered Blazer ammo. Those problems aside, it does work and is combat accurate though it is somewhat hard to shoot well. Once a 9mm bullet leaves the barrel it is just as deadly reguardless if it is fired from a 1500 dollar custom High power or this 150 dollar klunker. Do I recomend High Point? No. But it does shoot and maybe that is good enough to save a life.

chainsawmike
March 22, 2009, 12:52 AM
I agree with what sohght said. I use mine as a “car” gun. I guess I would not show up with one on the range because of gun snobs… but maybe I will…

RX-178
March 22, 2009, 01:56 AM
I'd say hi points in general represent some of the best bang for the buck in the entire firearms industry.

Especially their carbines. Even gun snobs usually won't say much in the way of criticism of Hi Point carbines.

Hi Point pistols aren't any worse than their carbines that I can see.

I'm probably going to get one of those Hi Point .45 carbines they showed at the SHOT show when they come out, and a Hi Point .45 pistol to go with it.

I'm sure it'll tide me over until I can both muster up the funds and locate a Kriss carbine.

Sunray
March 22, 2009, 02:22 AM
Lists at a bit over $220 in the black finish. $235 for the camo finish. I don't think I'd worry too much about it.
"... best bang for the buck in the entire firearms industry..." Um, no. They're novelty firearms at best.
"...locate a Kriss carbine..." You're kidding aren't you?

TimboKhan
March 22, 2009, 02:45 AM
What do I tell the man?

Reaction to your first post: That your a gun snob that would rather make him feel bad about his cheap (and, according to the internet, generally reliable) pistol by being a blowhard? I am certain that you have a lovely collection, but could you be any more elitist about it?

Reaction to your follow up: Good job. Way to realize that it isn't the gun, it is the shooter.

I once got schooled by a 13 year old kid that shot a bolt-action 12 gauge with a nail as a bolt handle and a extractor so bad that he carried a knife specifically to pry the shells out between each shot. Humility can be hard, but in the long run you learn more with an open mind.

Geno
March 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ya know, if someone offered me a Hi-Point pistol as a gift, I would thank them and be genuinely pleased. Why? Quite simply stated...

Link: http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/45acp/hi_point_45acp.html

...based on what I have heard and what I have experienced of Hi-Points (my carbine), they are inexpensive firearms, not cheap firearms. They are accurate enough to hit the target. They go "bang" when one pulls the trigger. They have a lifetime (to any owner) warranty.

I call that a lotta bang-for-the-buck. And don't even get me started again on the 5 custom shop 1911s that I paid between $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 that never were right.

manfromyard
March 22, 2009, 11:55 AM
Better a $150 gun that works when you need it than a $2500 gun that doesn't. (And I have seen several of the latter.)

I would add, better to have a $150 gun, than to not have a $2500 gun because you can't afford it.

sltintexas
March 24, 2009, 11:16 PM
Owen,
HPs are notorious for tight springs when new especailly in the mags. Have him run a 200 rounds through it or so and I suspect a lot of those issues will go away. Don't fill the mags to full capacity for that period as well. Additonally there are some thread on the hi point forums about spacing on the magazine lips.

take a look at this and see how his mags line up to the measurements. Typically blazer is regarded as very reliable in HPs.

My HP 380 has been great. It has been particularly good for new shooters. I start them on a 22, then the 380, then a browning hi power (clone) 9mm.

woad_yurt
March 25, 2009, 12:04 AM
Some folks don't drool over guns like some others do. Hi Points are cool. They're cheap, have a great warrantee and they work well.

For someone wanting a mere tool, it's a very good choice.

Mosin Shooter
March 25, 2009, 12:53 AM
I bought a Hi-Point put a red dot scope on it, put it in my girlfrends hands(no gun experance at all) & she hit the target with all rounds. That to me is a good home defence weapon. I read somewhere that they have a lifetime warranty how many other guns at that price can do that?

ljnowell
March 25, 2009, 01:29 AM
I bought a Hi-Point put a red dot scope on it, put it in my girlfrends hands(no gun experance at all) & she hit the target with all rounds. That to me is a good home defence weapon. I read somewhere that they have a lifetime warranty how many other guns at that price can do that?
I think thats the whole point though, for that price. Thats like saying that I bought a ford festiva and it gets the best gas mileage and starts up every day, its the best car ever build for the price.

There is a lot better out there, it just depends on whether or not you can afford it.

OKgetdown
March 25, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hi point work. Its simple.

As a matter of fact, most guns work.

Some just have more of a snob factor.

mr.trooper
March 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
HP pistols normally work reliably... but to say that "they dont jam...EVER" is a bit of an exageration.

Iv owned 3 HP pistols over the years, and while they run reliably most of the time, each one of them jammed at some point; i dont think i had more than 700 rounds through any of them.

GotCoffee
March 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
I bought a 45 Hi-Point last spring for $149 from my dealer. In my family (dad and brothers) we now own 6 of them. I just bought another one for $158. Prices not including tax.

Dealer had new 9mm Hi Point for $129 and a 380 for $117. He also had a 9mm carbine that was $2?? sorry dont remember the price. Our experience with the 45's so far has been outstanding. Im am now shooting reloads also no problems. My brother in law has a glock 40 and he just bought a 45 hi point says he has less trouble with the hi point than the glock which cost him way more money. Just my two cents.

kmh3212
March 26, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Point just shows you how overpriced 99% of guns are. They can manufacture, sell and make a profit on a $150 gun.

tackleberry65
March 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
Good on you for helping your FIL out. Nothing good can come out of making him feel bad about getting a HP. If it was me, I'd just try to be a good SIL. Give him a mag full of SD ammo, take him to the range with you, let him try shooting one of yours after he gets a little experience. If he starts getting into it, he'll upgrade. If not, he's only out $150 and still has a SD tool.

bensdad
March 26, 2009, 02:53 PM
I hope you and your FIL have many fun-filled range trips ahead of you. Tell him how neat his new gun is. Show him the Hi-Point forum.

As for the rest of the discussion around here (about value, quality, prices, etc.), I've often wondered how much Kimber, Springfield, Kahr and others pay for those full-page back cover, inside front cover adds in all the gun rags. I'd like to pick one company (say Kimber), add up all their ad costs for one month, add up all sales, and see how much of the price of a gun is advertising. I'll bet it's enough to humble a few gun snobs.

KBintheSLC
March 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
I am not a big fan of cheap guns... Kel Tec's are about a low as I am willing to go. However, the Hi Point is ok for some folks who want a cheap plinker that works well enough. I know that they have a good warranty, but I would still not use one for self defense unless I had no other choice. It would suck to find out your Hi Point needs warranty work at the wrong time.

alemonkey
March 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
You know, that Hi Point .45 actually isn't a bad looking gun.

Anyone know why they don't offer hi cap extended mags for the carbines? I think a .40 carbine would make a pretty good HD gun.

Yo2slick
March 26, 2009, 09:17 PM
I once got schooled by a 13 year old kid that shot a bolt-action 12 gauge with a nail as a bolt handle and a extractor so bad that he carried a knife specifically to pry the shells out between each shot. Humility can be hard, but in the long run you learn more with an open mind.

Now thats dedication!

Wirtbowhunter
March 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
KBintheSLC said:

It would suck to find out your Hi Point needs warranty work at the wrong time.

I would think that would be the case with any firearm. I've never had problems with mine and can shoot them better than my more expensive pistols.

GLOOB
March 26, 2009, 10:49 PM
I really wish that everyone who puts up a negative opinion would also state whether or not they've ever fired one.

I'm surprised to see so many "informed opinions" on a gun that has been described as a novelty.

Arondos
March 27, 2009, 01:28 AM
I picked up a 9mm on Tuesday. Wednesday 5 of us made a trip to the range. Ran a 100 rounds of FMJ through and the only problem was I had one fail to feed.

Yeah it didn't shoot as nice as the tricked out para ord one of the guys has and didn't make the big bang of the .454 or the .500 but it gets the job done.

The guy that has a both of the cannon above, a Kimber, several other big name brand hand guns, and a couple couple of expensive trap guns (like 5k weapons) owns a Hi point. in fact he was the one that told me to check one out. Good bang for the buck...

speedsix
March 27, 2009, 02:22 AM
A Hi-Point is a cheap gun. It may work but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very cheaply made pistol. It is what it is.

For $150, you can buy a CZ-82. I once saw a beater S&W 908 for $175 at a gunshow. I should have bought it but I let it go.

A Hi_Point may work but that is all. A Yugo can may go and stop like a car but there is something wrong with driving one.

Not being a snob, it is just that a Hi-Point is an affront to what a gun is in the same way that Rosie O'Donell is an affront to what a woman is.

hometheaterman
March 27, 2009, 02:38 AM
I'm not a Hi Point fan but I can't say anything good or bad about them so can't say I've owned one.

However, if I came across a 9mm rifle from them at a good price I'd more than likely buy it.

Darkness
March 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
A Hi-Point is a cheap gun. It may work but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very cheaply made pistol. It is what it is.

For $150, you can buy a CZ-82. I once saw a beater S&W 908 for $175 at a gunshow.

Sure, but you also have to keep in mind that a Hi-Point (made nearby in Dayton, Ohio) has a lifetime warranty, and is brand new, at that price. Regardless of how many times it's been bought, sold, traded or what number owner you are, if it has a problem, you send it in, and they fix or replace it.

If a Yugo had a lifetime all-emcompassing warranty for who ever drove it, regardless of how many times it changed hands, I bet they would be a whole lot more popular, too. Try sending that CZ or S&W back to the manufacturer and tell them you bought it at a gunshow, but you want it fixed up for free and see what kind of response you get.

srm970
March 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
i would never have payed 100 bucks for one.. what they go for here at the local big R. at least they used to.. but my budy baught a 9mm compact.. LOL if there is such a thing with a HP.. it was still as big as my hi power.. ugly yes, grips not to bad for me, went off everytime i pulled the trigger.. no feed or ejection failures. suprisingly acurate once you got used to the trigger. they are priced like a sat night special. but without having to worry about them blowing up in your face.. they seem like a good cheap way to get into shooting

shawn

If you enjoyed reading about "Father in law bought a High Point and..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!