Ruger 22 Charger

PDA

TEC
March 19, 2009, 12:23 AM
Does anyone have one of these yet? They look very interesting. Think I am going to order one ASAP. Just the thing for a bug-out backpack, I think. Looks like a R 10/22 action. Would appreciate comments from anyone with first hand experience.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=4904&return=Y

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22 Charger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crazy-mp
March 19, 2009, 12:34 AM
I have one, from my experience it is a plinker or casual shooter, lacks a little in accuracy, and is somewhat big. But it is fun to play with and like all 10/22's you can make it your own, with some modifications or add ons. I think they have 2 or 3 variations now, I think there is the salt and pepper, a red one and a blue one.

TEC
March 19, 2009, 12:46 AM
What kind of groups at 50 yards, w/ sub sonic ammo?

crazy-mp
March 19, 2009, 01:10 AM
With CCI velocitor I was getting just over a 1" group at 50 yards and with Remington I was getting around 2 1/2" groups with the bipod and a sandbag under the pistol grip. I have never used sub-sonic ammo in it, I did try about 7 or 8 diffrent kinds most were around the 1 1/2 or 2 inch area with little to no wind. If I have time this weekend I will try some sub-sonic stuff and tell you how it did.

Hey where else are you going to get a pistol that can hold 50 rounds?

wuchak
March 19, 2009, 01:26 AM
I have one and it's a blast. Don't forget to order a scope since it doesn't have any iron sights. I put a red dot on mine. I also got a 30 round magazine for it. Personally I don't think it does anything that a Ruger MK or good .22 revolver can't. For a BOB I'd rather have my K22 but the Charger is a fun range toy.

hometheaterman
March 19, 2009, 01:51 AM
I like the looks of them a lot and seriously considered one a month or two back at a gun show. I ended up passing on it figuring that I don't need it and if I want to shoot a .22 I have my 10/22.

TEC
March 19, 2009, 08:04 AM
The subsoinc rounds may prove a bit more stable down range since they don't drop back down from super- to subsonic in flight. And in any case, at 50 yards, w/ bipod & red dot, that is a better group than I would do with my other .22 pistols. The Charger is more compact (if not lighter) than even a 10/22 w/ folding stock, and looks like it would be an effective small game pistol for squirrels, rabbits and such, which is what I have in mind, more so than punching paper. Plus, it just looks fun. I try never to restrict myself to what I "need" where such things are concerned -- what fun would that be?

husbandofaromanian
March 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
I bought one last month since it will probably be banned under awb2. I got a crank for mine to turn it into a gatlin gun. Haven't shot it yet but I think it will be an excellent gatlin gun.

searcher451
March 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
I picked up one last summer, put a nice scope on it, dialed it in at 50 yards, and can amuse myself for long stretches at the shooting range without a lot of strain on the wallet. It's a bit strange to look at and takes a bit of time to get used to, but the doggone thing is weirdly efficient ... and the Ruger quality is evident from the get-go.

WoofersInc
March 19, 2009, 02:53 PM
I got one a while back. It has been a blast. I switched out the barrel with one from Tactical Solutions that is threaded so I can use my suppressor on it. Definitely a lot of fun. With sub-sonincs it holds 1 inch at 50 yards if the shooter can do his part.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22 Charger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!