Buck Mark vs. M41 vs. Mark lll vs. Other

PDA

mattwill282
March 19, 2009, 10:58 PM
Just wanted some opinions for competition. If I get a Buck Mark or Mark lll it will be the competition version.

Thanks everybody.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buck Mark vs. M41 vs. Mark lll vs. Other" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
March 20, 2009, 03:52 AM
For Bullseye I have shot my 5.5 Target Browning Buckmark for the last 10 years and have been very happy with it. Its pretty much perfect as it comes from Browning with an adjustable wide trigger and all the other target features. I've pulled off the front and rear sight hoods and the front site post and installed a Red Dot on mine, all done with no gunsmith required.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/051402m.jpg

Rugers make fine target pistols too but all the shooters I know that shoot them have had a trigger job done and most have added aftermarket target grips. Plenty of aftermarket accessories available but by the time you have them added to the Ruger to make it equal to the Browning in features you've put as much or more money into it.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/248T.jpg

Both are good pistols, the Ruger is perhaps a bit easier to find in stock. I owned a Ruger MKI 6" target at one time but it got sold when I bought my first Buckmark standard version so my preference is the Browning.

au2183
March 20, 2009, 06:39 PM
I own a MK II and a M 41. The 41 is not in the same league as the other two by any means. It's a target pistol that has few rivals, at any cost. I like the MK II, and have owned it far longer, but it's a plinker or hunting gun IMO, not a serious target gun.

Pilot
March 20, 2009, 08:04 PM
I like the MK II, and have owned it far longer, but it's a plinker or hunting gun IMO, not a serious target gun.

But the MK II can be MADE into a serious target gun very easily with parts form Volquartsen, Clark, etc. The individual gun owner can do it themselves if they so desire.

Toonces
March 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
99.9% of the time, any of your choices will be more accurate at 50 yards than a normal human can hold offhand. A good trigger and good sights are the most important factors. If you are going to shoot open sights make sure you like the rear sight, or include the cost of an upgrade in your analysis. I would say the Browning is prettier, the Ruger is tougher, and the M41 is much higher class than either of them.

If you are willing to spend the +/- $1000 for a M41, there are used high end pistols out there that are in the same ballpark. Out of the three you named, I'd take the M41, just because it's a classic. Second is the Ruger, I have 25k rounds through a MKII and I'm biased. Every factory MkII/MKIII trigger I have ever felt was innappropriate for bullseye. Ditto for the Buck Mark, every one I've tried had a spongy trigger and would need work to be a pistol I would want to shoot bullseye with. No matter what you pick, the person with a "lesser" pistol that practices will usually beat the braggart with a $2000 gun.

shooter429
March 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
I think the Brownings shoot tighter, have better actions and are much easier to clean and customize than the MK3. But if you have the dough, go with the S&W. Of course, for true "target guns" $1000 is the starting point. European exotics will run you 2-3K.

If you get target guns, you will need target ammo. No stingers in those babies.

Personally, I find the BM plenty accurate for my purposes as well as being versatile and able to fire cheap ammo.

Shooter429

LightningMan
March 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
Don't forget the ammo, which ever pistol you end up getting, accuracy will only be as good as the quality ammunition in which you use. I ended up getting a Ruger MK III, added a Volquartsen trigger accurizing kit in it with Volquartsen grips too. Put a scope on it and its a great shooter now, but for bench rest accuracy I have to use quality ammo to shoot a 10 shot ragged hole into a paper target at 50 feet. Cheap bulk ammo just won't do for that type of shooting, for off hand shooting, bulk ammo is fine as I can keep them in the black with no problems as long as I do my part. LM.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buck Mark vs. M41 vs. Mark lll vs. Other" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!