S&w 39-2

PDA

tbondw
March 20, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have a 39-2 that is jamming. I have used cheaper ammo in it the last 100rds, and the mag spring might be old i am not sure -got a used mag from a relative. The casing got stuck in the barrel 3 or 4 times. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 39-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JR47
March 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
Did this occur with a different magazine? If it didn't, then I'd be for replacing the mag spring, and cleaning the magazine. I'd also see if the feed lips on the good magazine look the same as on the one that jams.

dogrunner
March 20, 2009, 04:09 PM
Got one that I bought new in 1970 that runs like a clock........has NEVER hiccuped in any fashion.......only thing that ever went down was the guide rod began to separate at the detent spring. Replacement is still there and still works.

If your gun is leaving expended ctgs in the chamber it might be due a lot of things....extractor failing to do its job, the chamber COULD be pitted and the shells are just not retracting sufficiently to allow them to be withdrawn (had that happen with a 645 that I allowed the chamber to become somewhat pitted in) or it might be that the next ctg in the mag is interrupting the feed cycle........

Try this, single feed the gun (nothing in the mag.) if that functions then the chamber & extractor are likely OK and you've isolated one issue.......then go to the mag.

39 mags are not uncommon & you ought to be able to get one fairly easily at a gun show & reasonable cheaply......Too, you could take the mag down and assure yourself that the spring is inserted correctly........you ought to be able to pull a diagram offline....

Reason I mention the latter is that I had a friend hand me a Llama .45 last fall that belonged to a friend of his.......said the mag fell out every time he shot the gun........yeah, it did......because it was so dirty!......it also refused to feed...........yeah, it did..............seems his 16 year old son had 'busy' fingers and had disassembled it and put the spring in upside down..........

Good luck with that gun, it really IS a great design. By the way, I am still using the same two original mags that came with the gun, so I rather doubt that springs weakened..........and I leave mine loaded all the time!

SaxonPig
March 20, 2009, 04:36 PM
1. Make sure the gun is clean.

2. Try different ammo. Some foreign brands can be sticky in the chamber.

3. Try a new magazine. This is where having a 39 hurts as the larger 59 series mags are cheaper.

The Lone Haranguer
March 20, 2009, 05:54 PM
If this is a failure to extract - i.e., the round fires, the case remains in the chamber and the slide tries to strip off the top round in the magazine and butts it up against the case - this is almost certainly an extractor problem.

jdwhite
March 22, 2009, 12:04 AM
I got a 39-2 that was a jammatic. I replaced the springs in the magazines, plus the recoil and extractor spring. It works perfect now. Very accurate gun.

The Lone Haranguer
March 22, 2009, 12:05 PM
The extractor spring keeps the extractor hook lightly pushed into the case groove. If it is weakened or broken, the hook could slip off.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 39-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!